• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Patriot Owners- Poll Failure or Not

Has Your 850 Failed. Vote multiple times if you have multiple 850s

• No

Votes: 341 81.2%
  • Yes, Top End

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Yes, Bottom End

Votes: 61 14.5%

• Total voters

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
HAHA ! I am sure you're the bad Azz next coming of Christ mountain rider.

I just might also have a stripped down 163 Axys in my trailer also hot shot..... ( yes they are 2 different worlds )

From 1989 thru 2011 I never rode my flatlander sled...... Mountains only ( pretty much 95% Cooke City Montana )

I'll tell what big shot..... Bring your bad azz mountain sled over here to Northern Minnesota with your 1 inch high windshield and follow us around for 10 hours at 40 to 90 plus miles per hour at -20 degrees F ....... We'll be haul-in your tuff azz to the emergency room before noon with 3 degree frost bite......

Oh one more tip for you if you want to come over..... Bring your Moto cross helmet and goggles ( no duck tape allowed. )

Jezzzzz !

I would be right there but we don't use windshields either.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
500 in two days at 71 years old ? WOW !! That would be something to see.

I grew up in the flatlands. One of my dad's good buddies is in his 70's and rides 8,000-12,000 miles per year. Strongs, MI to Copper Harbor, MI and back in a weekend. That's over 700 miles. He does it frequently from what I've been told.

Edit: I should add that he rides Ski-Doo

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
HAHA, flatlanders.

Interesting that everything important to you guys is never even thought about in the mountains. Heated seats, heated vests, electric start, lake riding this is all a foreign language to us. Even fuel economy is different. We have a formula for that. Ride until you can't even stand anymore and if you have fuel left it is good on fuel. If your sled runs out before you do, its bad on fuel.

HAHA ! I am sure you're the bad Azz next coming of Christ mountain rider.

I just might also have a stripped down 163 Axys in my trailer also hot shot..... ( yes they are 2 different worlds )

From 1989 thru 2011 I never rode my flatlander sled...... Mountains only ( pretty much 95% Cooke City Montana )

I'll tell what big shot..... Bring your bad azz mountain sled over here to Northern Minnesota with your 1 inch high windshield and follow us around for 10 hours at 40 to 90 plus miles per hour at -20 degrees F ....... We'll be haul-in your tuff azz to the emergency room before noon with 3 degree frost bite......

Oh one more tip for you if you want to come over..... Bring your Moto cross helmet and goggles ( no duck tape allowed. )

Jezzzzz !

No need to get worked up, just shows you how different serious mountain and trail riding are! In mountain riding, less weight means you can go farther/deeper/higher, and anything heated on the sled will build up slush. My sled with perimeter cooling would build up snow and slush until you had nowhere to put your boot if you didn't knock it out now and then. Snow eliminators helped, but don't keep things totally clear. I've also rode trails in -10* weather, and even my 6" windshield doesn't do much. I've got a moto-cross helmet, and it's amazing how many holes there are that didn't seem to be there when it was warmer.

I don't think there's any need to take offense here: the point is, there's just no way to set up for just one type of riding (exclusively trail or mountain) and be any good at the other. My old EDGE RMK can put a whooping on an 850 XC off-trail – doesn't make it a better sled, it's just doing the job it was built for where the XC is out of its element.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Being around a lot of Iron Dog racers, it's training season right now for those guys and they are frequently putting in ridiculously high mileage days. It's quite incredible really.

S
Jan 12, 2011
This wasn't my first post, you should get facts straight before you run someone down, I haven't been a member here because im a flatland rider, I posted on here to give some hope to the 850 engine, seeing they put it in mountain sleds.

S
Jan 12, 2011
Where did you come up with the 30 mph average, this guy cruised at 80 on the railroad grades, which is where lot of his 500 miles a day were put on, carried extra gas and oil, rode like a mad man, and was 20 years old,did 6000 a year, his sled miles were verified by my dealer, and all the people who worked there, and he didn't do this just one time. I will say I never met anyone else that rode to this extreme.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I grew up in the flatlands. One of my dad's good buddies is in his 70's and rides 8,000-12,000 miles per year. Strongs, MI to Copper Harbor, MI and back in a weekend. That's over 700 miles. He does it frequently from what I've been told.

Edit: I should add that he rides Ski-Doo

That is absolutely a amazing amount of miles.

I stand stand corrected !!

Ok Stan I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Don't get me wrong I am pulling for the 850 to be the motor of the future for Polaris.

Dan

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hey Dan, Do you recommend the Boondocker Idaho head or the Colorado head for the 850 Polaris?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
And like watching a year of "Who Shot JR" - poof - the BD crew getting SW to trim the ID head posts never happened...

"...it was just a dream, Bobby"

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
And like watching a year of "Who Shot JR" - poof - the BD crew getting SW to trim the ID head posts never happened...

"...it was just a dream, Bobby"[/QUOTE

It an't over with yet..... i called harris this morning and i was booked thru December 2019 for advertising program.

And the numbers were already past where they needed to be.

Boondocker can kiss my a$$.... this whole deal was complete Bullsh!t.

I am not of fan of cry babies.

Dan

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom

"...it was just a dream, Bobby"[/QUOTE

It an't over with yet..... i called harris this morning and i was booked thru December 2019 for advertising program.

And the numbers were already past where they needed to be.

Boondocker can kiss my a$$.... this whole deal was complete Bullsh!t.

I am not of fan of cry babies.

Dan

Was this due to Boondocker complaining? I’m trying to decide between Boondocker and Silber right now. They might have just made my decision easy.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Kind of hijacking this thread but silber made boondocker come done in price for us something to think about.

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
Great Sled

Seems like the original post has been modified to a flat land v mountain sled somewhat negative discussion by a few. I getting back to the original issue:

My completey stock 850 has 700 miles on it. The original break in period kept the sled tuned down. But when it expired, wow!!! My old sled was a 2015 800 Pro. I was happy with that one. But now, the 850 has so much more power. And the Axys suspension really handles the deep snow. I have not had any issues. I have been riding in the Dubois, Wy area. Snow is deep with no base. No problem getting through it and having fun doing so.

So...I am very happy with it.

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
Day 5 of riding the sled noticeably changed. Had about 4 hours per day. Dealer said it would be 20 hours and that the computer only counted rpms above 5000. Also said don't prolong the idling (once warmed up) as it would not count, and may foul plugs. So far, no plug fouled. And when it changed out of break in, I could even hear the motor's sound change.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hahaha!!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I honestly had no idea the "head" comment would explode. It made my head explode as the "head" caper unfolded. Smh but not really because I will soon get to absorb Dan's knowledge about two stroke head design right here on SW. It's like I'm waiting for Xmas.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Leak down test

Before anyone does a reflash, you should first do a cylinder leak down test.

Motor Performance before the reflash...... And performance results after reflash are worthless without leak down numbers.

The big problem with reflashes is...... ( we do NOT know the leak down % on the sled Polaris is using for the mapping ).

Are they using a brand new motor ? With 3-1/2% leak down?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 1-1/2% leak down that had a great cylinder finish and rings sealed up nice ?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 7% leak down that has rings that are on their way out the door...... ( basicly junk )

You see if we knew everyone's numbers...... Then we could see who's sleds the reflash works on and if there is a correlation to the leak down numbers.

And there will be........

If you build a map on a sub-par motor the map is basicly worthless to everyone except another guy with the same sub-par motor with the exact same leak down.

If you build a map on a broke in motor with 1-1/2% leak down...... The Map will be awesome for everyone with a good solid top-end with good % numbers.

As I have said...... All the different results are worthless to the masses without leak down numbers

Dan

Last edited:
Premium Features