• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Pro RMK 800 Top End Bogging

L
Mar 22, 2009
Valemount, BC
Hey everyone,

Sled is a 2011 Pro RMK 800 155, 1700 kms, MBRP can. Just bought it and took it out saturday in 3 to 4 feet of fresh. On the trail in we had some problems with bogging at every rpm and rough idle, I am running 91 from the pumps with ethanol. Changed the resistor to the non-ethanol plug and it ran a lot better, got rid of the bottom and middle end bog, but still bogged around 8000 rpm every once in a while.

In the alpine it would pull 8050-8100 for about 10 seconds, and then fall on its face and consistently drop til idle if I kept it wide open, felt like it was running out of fuel. If I got off the gas and then put it to the bars again it would go for about another 10 seconds.

Near the end of the day, the sled had a trouble starting hot, would catch but idle very rough at low rpm. Then got stuck, shut if off and the sled would not start. Pulled plugs and it appeared to be running well, had spark, could smell fuel but plugs were dry. Two hours later in the dark it finally started up after pulling it over WOT. Ran well 30kms back to the truck.

Sooo, been doing a lot of reading, and I don't where to start troubleshooting. Everything from injectors, TPS, pipe sensor, fuel pump, ground connections, exhaust valves, clutching - where do I start? Can I do a resistance test on any of these sensors? Or do I just have to replace them?

On the tach it was only pulling max 8150, so I don't think I am hitting the rev limiter, but I know these tend to be slow so next time I am out I will use the recording function and check to be sure. Also no codes or engine light. But the parking brake light did get stuck on a few times during the day, could be a rubbed wire and a short?

I am running 62 gram weights @4500-7500 feet, dealer said it was a toss up from 62's to 64's at this elevation. Just had a new pipe put in and new fuel filter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I was really hoping I wasn't going to have problems the first day out with my Pro!

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
id like any info on this also, my dealer is giving me the run around, wont fix it, wants me to pay for it and wont do anything about it, going to a different dealer this week..

ive got the same issues, they changed the injectors out, fixed it for 1 day dont know if it was coincidence or not but still bogging up top in mid range, and is very tempermental sometimes comes out of it other times doesnt..

check engine light is on err 173 3 exhaust temp sensor voltage too high... they just wont change the damn thing no matter what i say, last time i asked he said it doesnt make a difference and if i wanted it changed its on me... now thats not right for a sled having full warranty... im up for any suggestions

ps sorry for highjackin your thread but our problems sound close

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
To the op, your problem could be as simple as constantly cleaning the snow off of your air intake vents. They plug up VERY easy. The slp or others, air intake kit is a must for anyone that riders deep powder on a regualar basis as is the slp powder valves. If not, you will be CONSTANTLY brushing the snow off of your intakes, and even then often will have it choke out on you. Really sucks as it usually seems to happen as you are sidhilling across something you DO NOT want the motor to cough on lol Hope it is that simple.

L
Mar 22, 2009
Valemount, BC
No problem Dmill about the "hijacking", hopefully we can solve this for the both of us. If you are throwing the exhaust temp. sensor, that is definitely where I would start.

Ultrarider: great input, thank you very much. I was struggling a bit on saturday to keep them clear, but for a few pulls just to test I could keep them just about totally clean and would get the same bogging effects. And to me it seems a little too consistent of a problem to be the air intake getting plugged up. Just about every WOT pull, approx. 10 seconds in at about 8050-8100 rpm I get the bog (feels like it runs out of fuel) and if I keep it pinned it will keep dropping down just about to 5000 very fast. But once it starts to bog if I let off, and give it a half second break or so and put it to the bars again it will get up to 8100 immediately and stay there for another 10 seconds. Also I have the stock air intake.

Last edited:
S
Jan 26, 2012
Hey everyone,

Sled is a 2011 Pro RMK 800 155, 1700 kms, MBRP can. Just bought it and took it out saturday in 3 to 4 feet of fresh. On the trail in we had some problems with bogging at every rpm and rough idle, I am running 91 from the pumps with ethanol. Changed the resistor to the non-ethanol plug and it ran a lot better, got rid of the bottom and middle end bog, but still bogged around 8000 rpm every once in a while.

In the alpine it would pull 8050-8100 for about 10 seconds, and then fall on its face and consistently drop til idle if I kept it wide open, felt like it was running out of fuel. If I got off the gas and then put it to the bars again it would go for about another 10 seconds.

Near the end of the day, the sled had a trouble starting hot, would catch but idle very rough at low rpm. Then got stuck, shut if off and the sled would not start. Pulled plugs and it appeared to be running well, had spark, could smell fuel but plugs were dry. Two hours later in the dark it finally started up after pulling it over WOT. Ran well 30kms back to the truck.

Sooo, been doing a lot of reading, and I don't where to start troubleshooting. Everything from injectors, TPS, pipe sensor, fuel pump, ground connections, exhaust valves, clutching - where do I start? Can I do a resistance test on any of these sensors? Or do I just have to replace them?

On the tach it was only pulling max 8150, so I don't think I am hitting the rev limiter, but I know these tend to be slow so next time I am out I will use the recording function and check to be sure. Also no codes or engine light. But the parking brake light did get stuck on a few times during the day, could be a rubbed wire and a short?

I am running 62 gram weights @4500-7500 feet, dealer said it was a toss up from 62's to 64's at this elevation. Just had a new pipe put in and new fuel filter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I was really hoping I wasn't going to have problems the first day out with my Pro!

I feel your pain!!! Exact same issue with my 2011 pro, but less than 1100 miles on mine when it started. Been back and forth to dealer for 2 months now. They are trying really hard, but have not yet been able to figure out what is causing the problem! Tried new exhaust probe, two sets of injectors, new coil wires, new TPS, changed ethanol plug, and probably a few other things I have forgotten. Get about 20 miles and have to install new plugs. All the symptoms are same as your experiencing. Been discussing issue with others with same problem, think I'm gonna get dealer to check rings/pistons next. Don't know what is going on, but sure getting very frustrating, especially since I had a bad run with the Dragon as well.

I'm sure that snow plugging the intakes isn't the problem. I haven't rode enough this year or in any powder, to even see this happen. I also have an extra SLP intake installed.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
No problem Dmill about the "hijacking", hopefully we can solve this for the both of us. If you are throwing the exhaust temp. sensor, that is definitely where I would start.

Ultrarider: great input, thank you very much. I was struggling a bit on saturday to keep them clear, but for a few pulls just to test I could keep them just about totally clean and would get the same bogging effects. And to me it seems a little too consistent of a problem to be the air intake getting plugged up. Just about every WOT pull, approx. 10 seconds in at about 8050-8100 rpm I get the bog (feels like it runs out of fuel) and if I keep it pinned it will keep dropping down just about to 5000 very fast. But once it starts to bog if I let off, and give it a half second break or so and put it to the bars again it will get up to 8100 immediately and stay there for another 10 seconds. Also I have the stock air intake.

Also, anyone have any tricks for sweet talking the dealers??? As I am having no luck...

Yea, I rode with another 2011 Pro the other day that is doing the same as yours. He has an slp stage 3 kit on his and it is just plain dumping too much fuel and we need to figure out how to pull more fuel out of it. Mine however when it does do that (seldom) I look down and my intakes are plugged off. Knock the snow off and I'm good to go again until I play too long without keeping up on my house cleaning. Sure wish I could find m slp powder valves. I know that they are are in the damn garage somewhere and would take care of this problem for me! :face-icon-small-fro

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
have you fuel filter yet?...almost sounds like your fuel pump can't keep up with full load at 8000rpm...just an idea

R

rjkoll

Nov 4, 2009
Linden, have you tried running without the mbrp can? I have heard of a couple people running some of the cheaper cans on theirs and having some problems. I do not believe that this is 100% of the problem but it most likely is not helping your cause.

I had a bad bog on my 11 rmk as well, however it was right around 7000 rpm and it would fall flat on its face around 6,000 feet of elevation. When I got up to around 9000 feet it would not fall on its face but you could tell the power was not all there. The person who owned the sled before me had been running the polaris blue (mineral) oil. I changed to the VES and most of the bog went away so I know that the mineral oil does clog up the valves pretty fast (I cleaned the valves the day before) despite what some people might say. I would assume that Linden is running the VES so that might not be a factor, but some of you having the issues with low miles, are you still running the poo blue oil? Again, I dont think this would be 100% of the problem but might be part of it.

The last contributor to my bog was a broken primary spring which a lot of people have been experiencing. Perhaps a broken spring could cause your sled to not pull full r's at WOT and is causing the motor to load up and bog? After replacing my spring my bog is now completely gone and everything seems to be running great.

The fact that the bogs you guys are talking about are occurring after being WOT for several seconds, I am not fully convinced that the suggestions I just made are going to fix the problem, but they are all very easy things to check and may be a small part of a number of problems that are leading to your issues.

This is simply the steps that I took to get rid of my bog, not rocket science but it worked for me.

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
i suggested changing my fuel filter out to the dealer, he said no way not in a million years... hopefully i can get some closure on this this week... takin it to a different dealer, just getting really sick of swapping out my head although im getting super fast at it.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado

Mine was doing this last saturday. Ever find anything out? The parking light on the display was on and the tail light was not lit up. ( as in it wasnt brighter from hitting the brake. Tail light was working fine.) Not a big deal but just kind of annoying. Anyways sorry about your troubles man. Hope you figure everything out.

M
Nov 16, 2011
Mine was doing this last saturday. Ever find anything out? The parking light on the display was on and the tail light was not lit up. ( as in it wasnt brighter from hitting the brake. Tail light was working fine.) Not a big deal but just kind of annoying. Anyways sorry about your troubles man. Hope you figure everything out.

Probably snow/ice in the switch. Has happened to me a few times when sidehilling a bit too eagerly

M
Feb 21, 2009
Seems suspicious it runs hard and falls off, being you were running fuel with ethanol, could have had some moisture in it (being ethanol absorbs it) and it could have been freezing somewhere like your fuel filter or throttle boddies thus plugging stuff up, seen this before on a vertical escape 800. I would be curious to see what it would do if you put it in a warm garage over night and drained the fuel and swapped with non ethanol. If your taking it to the dealer see if they can check the fuel pump, perferably under load if possible and see if it is dropping pressure as it gets warm. It has got to be either running out of fuel, air, or a component is shutting down once warm. I haven't looked at my fuel filter, but if it's possible to install backwards it could cause this problem also. Then again the brake light coming on also points toward a possible electrical short, those can cause all kinds of problems. Check all your handwarmer/handlebar wiring out really good and make sure nothing is pinched or grounding out, stuff on and around the motor also obviously. Good luck and keep us posted.

L
Mar 22, 2009
Valemount, BC
Linden, have you tried running without the mbrp can? I have heard of a couple people running some of the cheaper cans on theirs and having some problems. I do not believe that this is 100% of the problem but it most likely is not helping your cause.

I had a bad bog on my 11 rmk as well, however it was right around 7000 rpm and it would fall flat on its face around 6,000 feet of elevation. When I got up to around 9000 feet it would not fall on its face but you could tell the power was not all there. The person who owned the sled before me had been running the polaris blue (mineral) oil. I changed to the VES and most of the bog went away so I know that the mineral oil does clog up the valves pretty fast (I cleaned the valves the day before) despite what some people might say. I would assume that Linden is running the VES so that might not be a factor, but some of you having the issues with low miles, are you still running the poo blue oil? Again, I dont think this would be 100% of the problem but might be part of it.

The last contributor to my bog was a broken primary spring which a lot of people have been experiencing. Perhaps a broken spring could cause your sled to not pull full r's at WOT and is causing the motor to load up and bog? After replacing my spring my bog is now completely gone and everything seems to be running great.

The fact that the bogs you guys are talking about are occurring after being WOT for several seconds, I am not fully convinced that the suggestions I just made are going to fix the problem, but they are all very easy things to check and may be a small part of a number of problems that are leading to your issues.

This is simply the steps that I took to get rid of my bog, not rocket science but it worked for me.

Thanks everyone for all the input and ideas, I really appreciate it.

I have the stock silencer coming in the mail so I will try it without the MBRP can. Also I am running the full synthetic Polaris VES Gold Plus oil.

As for the broken spring, I just pulled the clutch cover and inspected the primary, weights, rollers and primary spring are all in great condition.

Fuel filter was just changed 100 kms ago. Brand new spark plugs, and plugs wires seem to be in great shape, no rubbing or chafing on wires and no deformation.

Jones: I have not inspected all the wires yet, my parking brake light on the display would go on and off throughout the day - a short is definitely a possibility. I will check it over and get back to you. My brake light was working properly though.

This sled has just about always been full with fuel, to lessen the effects of the ethanol and moisture.

I will check over the wiring and keep you guys posted!

Thanks again!
Linden

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
Jones: I have not inspected all the wires yet, my parking brake light on the display would go on and off throughout the day - a short is definitely a possibility. I will check it over and get back to you. My brake light was working properly though.
Linden

just open up your reservoir and check the fluid before you get carried away, last year from the factory mine was too full, it pressurizes and causes the brake to drag, get rid of a little fluid and it fixes the light coming on.. if not then you may have a short...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
guys, just for fun..throw in 2 gram heavier weights...when i was testing clutching setups last season I could hit the limiter, both full throttle and part throttle if I was even a touch light on weight...and what you describe sounds exactly like it...simple thing to try and it may just fix the issue, if not I would be seeing if you could swap pipes with another stocker just to eliminate the pipe sensor....

Premium Features