• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sound off to anybody??

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
my sled is hitting 8000 RPM's will ease. From a stop to a WOT it hits max at about 58 mph, in a lil time at all. Seems the tach will just fly right up there like nothings there to stop it. I am riding at 900 Ft with 11-74 weights, 115 belt. Does this seem normal or is somethin wrong??
Thanks,
Nolan

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
my sled is hitting 8000 RPM's will ease. From a stop to a WOT it hits max at about 58 mph, in a lil time at all. Seems the tach will just fly right up there like nothings there to stop it. I am riding at 900 Ft with 11-74 weights, 115 belt. Does this seem normal or is somethin wrong??
Thanks,
Nolan

sounds like you have it geared WAY down. Won't hurt anything as far as I know tho unless you like to go fast... and gas mileage

my older sled is geared at 19:41 and it gets up to 85ish which is perfect in my opinion and I like how it acts on the hill too.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
sounds like your clutches are not shifting into high gear, without knowing what you have done for clutching it would be impossible to say why, but you might try a lil bit less secondary spring pressure and/or helix angle

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
if you haven't changed the gearing then it is probably something clutch related. how many miles are on the sled and have you ever serviced the clutches?

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
about 1700 or so miles. Just had the sled taken to the dealer about 400 miles ago to have it adjusted for the 115 belt, and had him put in the new weights so i would assume he would have seen something if it would have been off. I know i dont really have much info to give you guys to work with, thanks for all the info tho!! Just seemed to be hitting 8000 way to easy. How can you tell if the belt is slipping? is that a possibility or am i just shooting in the dark??
Thanks again!!
Nolan

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
With proper clutching, RPM should go almost instantly to peak RPM when the throttle is pinned....while accelerating as quickly as possible without dropping from this RPM.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Maybe its all in my head. I know my clutching is anything but perfect, but what you described seems to be the case. Just seems a lil off to me. Never had it hit 8000 before, and now i can hit it instantly and thats on trails and not climbing hills or anything.
Thanks,
Nolan

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I still have stock gearing. The speed will continue to increase slowly, never maxed it out tho cuz it would take a 20 mile road. Any ideas??
Everything sounds OK until you say that. It should accelerate quickly to peak speed unless you are in deep snow. Run it hard, deep snow or a hill and stop to feel your clutches. Should be able to hold your hand on them and if one is hotter than the other it's likely letting the belt slip. As I recall the upgrade to the 115 belt should also include changing the driven clutch spring from Black/red to Black/Purple, it's a little stiffer. That would be where I would look first. Your clutches don't seem in sync and if you are pulling good R's with the primary then it's likely the driven.

M
Dec 31, 2007
NMmiles, sounds a lot off to me, I have an 05 900 and the boys at my dealer said that about 7500 to 7600 is maxed out on rpm. When you slap the throttle it should jump to 7500 or so and then continue to shift up and gain speed untill you've reached full shift (top speed) and then if there's anything left it'll maybe up the r's a little but 8000 and 58 mph is not right. Try this little trick. Take a felt marker and draw a heavy line from the bottom to the top of the clutch. (both) reinstall the belt and give it a good hard run. If the mark disappeared (wiped off by the belt) all the way up to the top of the primary then it's shifting out like it's supposed to (if it hits 7500 or above). It it doesn't wipe the line off and you hit 8000 like you've said then you need that clutch looked at for sure. It sounds like it is getting bound up and needs a rebuild. This method works for all sleds just the rpm range will be different. My 800 runs really sweet at 8200-8400 but the 900 never reaches that kind of r's and it pulls very well. Power band is much slower on that longer stroke smaller piston sled. Hope this helps Mine is geared at 19/38. Pop that chaincase and verify what's in there but at any gearing it should still turn 7500 and then shift up like crazy.

M
Dec 31, 2007
NMmiles, sounds a lot off to me, I have an 05 900 and the boys at my dealer said that about 7500 to 7600 is maxed out on rpm. When you slap the throttle it should jump to 7500 or so and then continue to shift up and gain speed untill you've reached full shift (top speed) and then if there's anything left it'll maybe up the r's a little but 8000 and 58 mph is not right. Try this little trick. Take a felt marker and draw a heavy line from the bottom to the top of the clutch. (both) reinstall the belt and give it a good hard run. If the mark disappeared (wiped off by the belt) all the way up to the top of the primary then it's shifting out like it's supposed to (if it hits 7500 or above). It it doesn't wipe the line off and you hit 8000 like you've said then you need that clutch looked at for sure. It sounds like it is getting bound up and needs a rebuild. This method works for all sleds just the rpm range will be different. My 800 runs really sweet at 8200-8400 but the 900 never reaches that kind of r's and it pulls very well. Power band is much slower on that longer stroke smaller piston sled. Hope this helps Mine is geared at 19/38. Pop that chaincase and verify what's in there but at any gearing it should still turn 7500 and then shift up like crazy. What weights are in it. Sounds like way too little weight or way to much spring.....

M
Dec 31, 2007
stand it

You can do the same thing on a stand. lift the track (on a good stand) mark the primary clutch reset the max rpm and mph on the digital display and hit the throttle (running of course) watch the belt come up to the top of the clutch (full shift) and then check the max rpm and mph. If the max rpm was 8000 as you said or the belt doesn't come to the top of the clutch (the mark is not rubbed off almost to the top of the sheave) then you have a clutch prob. If it shifts out all the way at 8000 rpm then you should have way over 58 mph. somebody on this site knows how to do the math for the top speed it's just not me. Again, you should be clutched to shift up at about 7400-7500 rpm under full load. Send me a PM and we can get together on the phone and I'll see if i can help. No guru just "old"

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
7850 and holding should be the RPM's on your 06 900. What spring are you running? I believe your gearing if stock is 19/42 and you should be running an Almond 140/330 Primary spring. Blue/Pink 140/340 SLP spring and 74 gram MTX weights with 2 gram rivets in each hole, which are heavier than you are running, have worked out best on my 06 900. Holds a consistant 7850rpm on a pull. It sounds like you are close, what are you running for a secondary spring? Like Ron says it may be in your Driven (Secondary) clutch, have you changed the spring it it yet since you've owened it?

MTX 74g= 2 grams heavier than 11/74
MTX 74g= 4 grams heavier than 10/74

Last edited:
Premium Features