• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Noob question

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Hey guys dumb question - I was out on a ride with a friend on our street motorcycles today, and he tells me he's looking at getting a 250 2-stroke dirt bike for summer riding and throwing a track and ski on in the winter. I've never seen a 250 out on the hill before running a ts kit and told him he'd need a 450 or bigger - am I correct to say that? I don't think the 250 has enough juice to get going but I don't know everything.

B
Is he a big guy? That makes all the difference.

I'm 160 lbs with nothing on so when I ride my BIL's KTM 300, and any bike really, they all have more than enough power to get me around and the 300 is way more than enough and I know that a 250cc 2S would also be great for me but I'm a lightweight.

HenryTheHammer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
I guess I should have mentioned that, I'm 190# in all my gear. I have a 450 4-stroke with a 137 long track. I actually wish I had got a short track just so I could be a little more snappy in the trees. I love hopping on her bike, it is so light and nimble yet I can pull the hills and even in the deep I have no issue getting around.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
He’s a real small build, he can’t flatfoot on his ninja and probably weighs less than 180. Also does it matter that you can/can’t flatfoot on a snowbike?

Also, thanks for the replies!

B
It's not an issue on the snow, unless he can't get on the bike when the snow is deep and one has to pick up the bike-like had happened to me this past winter when the snow was deep, it was tricky getting the bike back upright and to get back on the bike when standing 2-3' lower than the bike.

A 250 will be fine, if he can accept some slower speeds.

My BIL weighs some 240 lbs and does not like his KTM 300 but he loves the CRF450X that is his bike. The KTM 300 he lets his 12 yo son ride/use.

Premium Features