• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 missing

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Noticed today on the way into alpine my temp gauge was fluctuating all over the place. Without a doubt electrical. Sled ran good all day other than the temp fluctuating. Then on the way back down I noticed it was happening right at 6700, the motor started missing at the same time the temp gauge would start going wonky. I coile hold it at that 6700ish and it would miss steady, hold it wot and it'd run fine other than the odd flutter. Went through all connections I could get too. Anyone experience this before? Too me seems like a voltage reg or stator

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

C
Nov 22, 2017
Colorado
My temp gauge went all crazy last weekend. Couldn't hold high rmp and had a top end bog. First time ever had a bog with the 850. Once in the garage I open her up and the wires had come off my sensor. Luckily its the same sensor/part # as my 2012 pro!. So I just stole the sensor off of that and was one my way again with no issue. The dealer would have replace it under warranty but I didn't want to wait so I just ordered one off ebay for $18 to replace in the 12 once I get it. There is a rubber holder for the wires that holds them at the pretty sharp angel. I DID NOT put that back on.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My sensor was giving me some weird low temp spikes a couple weeks ago and I got the "cold engine" warning across the bottom.

Then on the next ride, it didn't do it.

Then this weekend, it didn't do it until the end of day 2. Then it went berzerk and said water temps were -36. The warmest it showed was bout 15.

I've got a new temp sensor waiting.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
A friend I was riding with had his sensor go out on his 850. The wire broke right at the base of the sensor. It's located in the middle of the motor head. We tried splicing it and holding the splice with epoxy putty to get him off the mountain. Didn't work. 6,700 peek rpm was tough for the area he had to get out of. Same symptoms as stated above.
It didn't look like anything was hitting the wire causing it to weaken and fail. The only thing close to it are the spark plug wires. Maybe reinforcing the base of the wire with rtv would help keep this from happening.

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I'm thinking my wires might be starting to crack. Sled dried out overnight, ran fine this morning. Got it into some deep snow and shortly after started acting up. I'll get a close look at the wires when we get home from our trip.

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Got home from the trip, pulled sheath back on wires coming right off the sensor and one wire broke off. New sensor coming for it

Premium Features