• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

having problems with my turbo on my dragon

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
ok hers what is going on i run the sled hard and when i get back off the hill and let it idle it smokes real bad it smells like burnt oil comming from the turbo.i have good oil level my guage is reading good psi. so im wondering if garret turboes have like an internal gasket that went bad or something it still runs good but the smoke has got me worried. my plugs are golden brown any help would be great

S
Jan 25, 2010
more info is needed oil tank size, how full is tank, oil restricter in top of intake, what oil are you running, is water flowing to cool turbo, let us know.

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
the turbo doesnt get that hot after the oil goes threw the turbo it drops back into the resevor. it is a silber turbo kit and none of his are water cooled. quite a few turbo kits are not water cooled

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
your oil level is probally too high. Check your pm. If that doesnt fix it I will send you another turbocharger to try.

Thanks
Justin

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
See and everyone wonders why i went with silbers turbo kit that is 1st class support A++++++ service im sure i have the tank to full ill give it a try on my next ride and let you know thanks again justin

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
one thing i did on mine is get a little crazy with the rvt when i put the oil drain on. my turbo was smoking and i thought that i had a bad turbo. after we cleared the rvt restrictions out of the drain it works great. so if you used a liquid sealant you might want to check that out.

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
i didnt use any sealant but thanks for the thought im pretty sure its just to full cause i got my sled stuck on its side in a chute for about 20min and when i got it out it started the smoking cause i have prob 90miles on this set up prior to the smoke but i hadent been stuck yet

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
i didnt use any sealant but thanks for the thought im pretty sure its just to full cause i got my sled stuck on its side in a chute for about 20min and when i got it out it started the smoking cause i have prob 90miles on this set up prior to the smoke but i hadent been stuck yet

When rolling them over they will burn oil for a few seconds.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
When rolling them over they will burn oil for a few seconds.

Thats why some of the turbo suppliers are reccomending the 2 stroke oil for bearing lube. Don't notice the smell so much.

Special thanks as well to Silber who offered to help me out with the replacement (at his cost) of a bad Garrett center section bearing. His offer was cheaper than any other fix I was offered. He did this no doubt knowing that I run 3 BD kits and have not purchased anything from him yet. Stand up guy as posted before. Thanks man for the offer of help. EW

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Thats why some of the turbo suppliers are reccomending the 2 stroke oil for bearing lube. Don't notice the smell so much.

Special thanks as well to Silber who offered to help me out with the replacement (at his cost) of a bad Garrett center section bearing. His offer was cheaper than any other fix I was offered. He did this no doubt knowing that I run 3 BD kits and have not purchased anything from him yet. Stand up guy as posted before. Thanks man for the offer of help. EW

I didnt know that you were running 3 of them. I just like helping people out when I can. Anyone else that needs a turbo replacement let me know, we will get you back on the snow.

Thanks
Justin

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
ya for sure he is really a great guy. i sure hope im not loosing my turbo already i have a couple big weekends of riding comming up and if i have to ride my sled that is not turbo ill be bummed lol what kind of signes are you guys seeing when your turbos went bad

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
if your turbo is bad it wont build boost, and if it does it will take forever for it to build up. Iam pretty sure your oil level is too high. The turbo will be very noisy when you shut your sled off, metal on metal scraping noise. You could take your airfilter off and check to see if you have alot of shaft play.

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
should be good then it still spools nice and quiet when i shut it down thanks for all the help guys. i guess im just a lil paronoid still cause im new to the turbo game

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Silber!

Apologies for this reply not being directly related to the thread, but I have to comment on what great support Justin provides. I myself own a BD setup, yet he has offered helpful advice to me on several occasions, and I have seen numerous posts where he has helped others. I am definitely leaning towards making one of his setups my next build.

Premium Features