• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time to buy Avy beacons. Need some help!

E
Oct 4, 2008
transcievers

I've used the baravox,trackers, pieps, m1.. I got to use the s1 and found it way easier to use than any of the others on mutiples. It was no contest!2 people that had never used a beacon before located 2 transcievers in less than 15 minutes. I found both in less than five minutes. both of these times where 20 to 30 minutes less than any of the other transcievers. Life and death depends on those 20 minutes. rei has them for 525.00 which is a great buy for 20 minutes buried under the snow. The tracker2 is supposed to be pretty good, but I'm saving up to buy 2 s1's.

M
Oct 13, 2008
I use a Mammut Pulse Barryvox beacon. We have three of them. They are VERY user friendly. They are digital, with an arrow pointing you to the approximate place of the buried person. Very good, take 3 triple A's and even have a strap to hold it around your heart area. It can take your pulse and can send a message to the person with the other beacon(if its a Mammut Pulse Barryvox) that notifies if you are still alive, but sometimes thats not a good thing? Very expensive, but in a matter of life or death, is $450 something that you are worried about? Besides, you can't spend that money if your dead.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MAM0047/Mammut-Pulse-Barryvox-Avalanche-Beacon.html

Last edited:
S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
Just something I thought everyone would like to know. I bought a few transceivers and an ABS airbag. I called around and e-mailed all the different dealers and when it all boiled down, SNOWBIGDEAL was the only one that returned e-mails with complete answers and had no problem answering all questions when I called him. The guy even sensed I was concerned about the shovels that I got and volunteered to change them to another brand. For the money I spent, the product knowledge that Snowbigdeal's shop brings to the table and the fact all of them ride the west also I will have to give them my vote. Shipping was quick and all products are top notch. As far as the shovel is concerned my inexperience was dealt with very politely and friendly. It all came down to Do I want a shovel that can dig my wife out of rock hard snow or do I want to shovel off my porch? After doing ALOT more research I find I was lead exactly where I had asked him to go.
Just my 2cents worth about a dealer here on snowest that is doing a great job for us. Rick

PS.. If I were to do R&D work with my life with an avy pack, I would expect a huge discount on my pack......HUGE

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Looking at buying a pieps freeride.. anybody have any feedback on them??

IMO, the pieps freeride is slightly better than an analog beacon because it shows you the distance, but not as nice as a dual or tripple antennae digital beacon. With the pieps freeride, you have to rotate the beacon to determine the direction of the transmitting beacon's signal whereas a dual or tripple antennae, the beacon points you to the transmitting beacon automatically.
I think the pieps freeride is better than not having a beacon, but if you can afford the extra $90 or so, spend it on a BCA tracker.

PM me with any specific questions or group package deals.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Another vote for the BCA Tracker. Very simple to use. I found a used one on here last year, otherwise the best deal I found was Snowbigdeals $289 free probe deal. Good luck!

Premium Features