• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

can you just order custom length floats to lighten your rear skid?

F
Mar 7, 2008
i have a spare 06 crossfire rear skid and was wondering if i could just buy one 14.5" long fox float and a 11.5" long float and put them on there ? but i would need to know what to get them valved at and what not but would it work there has to be something that would have to not work right????

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
If the rear scissor used torsion springs you can't just throw in a float shock instead. Right now the shock is only acting as a dampener, not carrying the weight. Lever angles and lengths are not right for a weight bearing float.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
a float or coil over shock will work, the beauty of the float is the instant air pressure adustment instead of trying several shock springs. True, this system was not built to handle the shock mount also supporting the weight of the sled, but in mtn sled conversions I've seen, the overbuilt cat arms etc will handle the coil over springs no problem, normal use. Young guys that must launch off all obstacles onto flat hard trail will break the mounts, but all systems under same abuse will suffer. So far not a lot of float lenghts to choose from, Arvins which should work equally well, also limited slection.

A longer shcok can be shortened an inch or two and usually still supply sufficeint travel for the system to work, so there are some options.

Premium Features