• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Silber turbo

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I Guess I’m that one unlucky guy this year. Have 170 miles on my silber alpha and it just won’t run above 7000 rpm. It actually stutters so bad as it goes above 7000 that it feels like the track is ratcheting Of course I didn’t ride it stock so I don’t know if it’s a cat problem. Starts great. Idles fine. Plugs are new. Properly gapped and colour is good. Wash is good Both primary and secondary clutches are shifting out. I have the new program. I have checked and double checked exhaust valve cables. Valves function at start up and function at rpm Have double checked all plug connections. All plumbing is air tight all exhaust gaskets are double Spring and no leaks. Throttle cable is set Turbo spins freely and spools. Compression is 123 both sides. I’m just stumped on this one. Thinking about going back to stock to see if it runs. anyone run into something like this before

Had a friend who bought a Silber kit this year for his alpha and had the same problem. Ended up having a **** ton of packing material jammed in his compressor housing. I know it sounds crazy, but he had the exact same symptoms you explained. Check out the pic of his housing. Very little air getting g past that. Probably worth looking into.

75B15EF3-588E-4C32-A665-9A82644DFB49.jpeg

AD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2013
Bozeman, MT
I have the newest flash and it is definitely better...but my reverse won't work. It just dies... tried everything...anyone else having this issue?

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I have the newest flash and it is definitely better...but my reverse won't work. It just dies... tried everything...anyone else having this issue?

did it work before the new flash? is it maybe just a little loaded up at this point?

I'm not sure if it will hold true on the cats but on the axys silber turbos when you had trouble going into reverse without it dying it was almost always a sure sign the tps was out of adjustment.

AD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2013
Bozeman, MT
Yes it worked before putting on the turbo...and work some of the time with the first flash ..I'll check the tps. My buddy is a dealer and sent an email to Silber to get their input. It worked tonight when I unloaded...go figure . Thanks for the help

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
Pulled apart the turbo last night and everything in there looks perfect, removed, re cleaned and triple checked the power valves, all is good, removed and checked the reeds, no chips and absolutely no light getting through. Im pretty much out of options and going to have to go back to stock and make sure it runs like that and go from there.

On a side note if the reeds on the 2019's are not just an unbranded v force reed cage, they are as close to a patent infringement as possible, i dont think i would be looking that direction for a performance increase.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
How you going to deal with the turbo flashed ECU when going back to stock? You got a very strange problem. Another thought would be the ECU? I’m not sure what would happen if your stock ECU didn’t actually take the new turbo flash? Is there a way to tell for sure if it’s actually flashed? You have someone with a good running turbo you could swap ECUs with. I’m thinking that if the ECU has the stock flash as soon as it starts to see boost the stock ECU flash would probably throw a fit(so to speak).

Also, have you called Silber and asked them?

Last edited:
U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
Ya, i have talked to the silber guys, have a buddy who is a silber dealer and can flash ecu,s so we did mine a couple of times and then he came over this morning and flashed it back to stock, pretty cool how they do that, they go right through your computer and take control remotely and you can watch the program down load, done in about 30 sec. i am still thinking it is a cat problem and by no means blaming the silber kit, i just want it out of the equation now to continue to trouble shoot, If it persists im going to try and disconnect teathors and throttle safety switch and maybe even find another 2019 ecu to try and see if there is something like you said that is just bad with the ecu.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Sucks to have a problem you can’t figure out in the middle of winter. From what I’ve seen in turbo kits over the last few years, it’s rarely a kit problem, usually and install problem or a factory part failure/broken.

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
the beauty of the silber kit is its really just a couple of hose clamps and exhaust springs, a couple of plug and play connections and the rest is clutching and air intake stuff, nothing really to screw up. The down side to this is when you do have problems you dont have the boost gauges and fuel pressure gauges and afr to tell you which direction to go. But like i said above, im still leaning towards a sled problem, and if its not then we will work with silber to figure it out

K
Nov 13, 2013
Squamish BC
I see you're from South E Idaho. Get a hold of Colin at Cycles & Sleds in Hyde Park UT. His clutching is spot on and hits hard on the bottom/mid. I'm pulling 80 grams at 6500 feet running 8450 rpm at 5 PSI. Clutches engage at 3400ish

Mine was 5 PSI stock (gauge verified) and pulls very hard for that boost level.

I called silber, they seem to have not heard of any bogging issue, and told me to add more heel weight. ... smh. I also am hitting 8700rpm he told me to add heel weight.... I told him my toe weight was maxed out. Both James and justin told me 2 different numbers for stock ramp weights.... I've called a few shops and all say they suck as far as dealing with and are a nightmare to get ahold of. I hope they see this post and step their **** up. As for now I need to figure out the low end bog.... please its brutal in the trees. Amazing once I build boot but it has no snap like a stock sled. Wtf. Please boys help me out.

AD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2013
Bozeman, MT
This my observation...it is BLUBBERING down low and into the midrange...once you get in the upper rpms it cleans up...it was warm today and was considerably worse...so on the way down probably 20 degrees cooler it was better...this tells me too rich on the bottom and mid range. I was in the trees and drainages today so I was very frustrated...BLUBBERING caused a lot of issues. I need to say I'm not by any means an expert on turbos but have a lot of experience with two strokes.. ice racing and for a while mini sprint racing .yes with a two stroke. I can't make my own adjustments so I'm at Silbers mercy.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
This my observation...it is BLUBBERING down low and into the midrange...once you get in the upper rpms it cleans up...it was warm today and was considerably worse...so on the way down probably 20 degrees cooler it was better...this tells me too rich on the bottom and mid range. I was in the trees and drainages today so I was very frustrated...BLUBBERING caused a lot of issues. I need to say I'm not by any means an expert on turbos but have a lot of experience with two strokes.. ice racing and for a while mini sprint racing .yes with a two stroke. I can't make my own adjustments so I'm at Silbers mercy.
Went for a ride today. 10000ft no new snow what was there was firm and sugar underneath, spent a lot of time in the trees between 3000 and 4500rpm. Sled loads up so bad at this rpm it's almost unrideable. Got stuck one time and couldn't get the sled past 3100rpm with the throttle pinned due to track being loaded with snow. Finally moved past 3100 and the turbo kicked in and out of the hole I came. Does your high idle? It seemed to clear up a bit when the idle normalized 1750 to 1800. But when the idle was higher 2200 to 2400 it would load up badly. In the deep snow it was great as I was above the lower rpms. But in this range total suck. 18 ER

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
K
Nov 13, 2013
Squamish BC
BLUBBERING exactly. I added 1 gram to the heel and it helped a bit, however it still has way too much fuel on the low end. Silber told me i was running too much AV gas, i was at 100% went to 50% still "blubbering" Ill go to 25% but i dont want to detonate (obviously)

What ratios of av to pump are you fellas experiencing the blubbering at? I felt as though my sled blubbered less on the original high idle tune. Was that just me? I asked Justin Silbernagel if he could lower the amount of fuel on my tune on the low end he said no. I guess he hates money.:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis

I want to kill trees but the blubbering makes it quite un motivating to do so. I go stuck going downhill today because of blubbering.....FML.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Went for a ride today. 10000ft no new snow what was there was firm and sugar underneath, spent a lot of time in the trees between 3000 and 4500rpm. Sled loads up so bad at this rpm it's almost unrideable. Got stuck one time and couldn't get the sled past 3100rpm with the throttle pinned due to track being loaded with snow. Finally moved past 3100 and the turbo kicked in and out of the hole I came. Does your high idle? It seemed to clear up a bit when the idle normalized 1750 to 1800. But when the idle was higher 2200 to 2400 it would load up badly. In the deep snow it was great as I was above the lower rpms. But in this range total suck. 18 ER

yep this is the problem!! it went from too lean to way too fat. I have a riding partner on a doo 850 with silber turbo and soo spot on! cat must be a back door "when we get to it project". on boost the map is spot on! come on Justin I can help with a PCV on the first 2000 rpm on the fuel map.
I did ride my stock 16 the other day and if the map doesn't get updated soon pulling the plug and going back to a 900 BB and PCV as it was soo much fun and reliable.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I have contemplated adding a pcv and seeing what I can do. My only hesitation is I dont want to spend any more money on this kit yet. I'd rather ride it stock with good idle and crisp response than this sputter garbage. I have a trip coming at the end of the month. If nothing has changed before then off it comes. I have had some good conversations with people other than Justin who work for silber and it gives me hope. Please please please get it solved.

K
Nov 13, 2013
Squamish BC
I have contemplated adding a pcv and seeing what I can do. My only hesitation is I dont want to spend any more money on this kit yet. I'd rather ride it stock with good idle and crisp response than this sputter garbage. I have a trip coming at the end of the month. If nothing has changed before then off it comes. I have had some good conversations with people other than Justin who work for silber and it gives me hope. Please please please get it solved.

I too would love some hope, what did they say that was so promising? What is a PCV im almost done throwing money at this but not yet lol.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I too would love some hope, what did they say that was so promising? What is a PCV im almost done throwing money at this but not yet lol.
I spoke with an employee of silber who field tests here in colorado. He explained to me that they sold more cat kits than any other kit this year and they have the doo and poo kits dialed. They are working really hard and will get the cat kit dialed as well. He and I are supposed to get together so he can ride my sled and possibly take it back to his garage. Although may not be possible by the time I leave on the 23rd. A pcv is an external fuel controller that plugs into your ECU and you can add or delete fuel points. Problem for me is they are $400 and I not putting a dime into this kit unless I know for sure it's going to work.

K
Nov 13, 2013
Squamish BC
I spoke with an employee of silber who field tests here in colorado. He explained to me that they sold more cat kits than any other kit this year and they have the doo and poo kits dialed. They are working really hard and will get the cat kit dialed as well. He and I are supposed to get together so he can ride my sled and possibly take it back to his garage. Although may not be possible by the time I leave on the 23rd. A pcv is an external fuel controller that plugs into your ECU and you can add or delete fuel points. Problem for me is they are $400 and I not putting a dime into this kit unless I know for sure it's going to work.

Oh a power commander, ughhhhh i may aswell have bought a BoonDocker over a silber than. Thanks for the reply though bro.

Is there a way to clutch it so it rides like stock untill boost? I dont understand why it dosent feel stock untill boost hits.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I've heard that boondocker is having similar problems. If that darn low rpm stumble would go away then I wouldn't be here complaining. I have this sneaking suspicion its related to the mapping on my ECU. That was supposed to be the benefit now I'm wondering if an external fuel controller would have been better. Allows me to make field adjustments. I've been told change weights, change springs, change helix. I cant get rpms in the powder running 74 grams only.
At this point I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to pull the darn thing off and run it stock. At least its pull and go then.

Premium Features