• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dumb Rule

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
If you folks don't smell an under-tone of religious odour on here lately, you are reeeaaallllyyyy thick.
I don't care one way or the other, my beliefs are my own and will stay that way, could care less about anyone elses, until they start infringing on me and mine.
But, unfortunately for all of us, some people use power to try to convince the masses that their way is the only way, and quite often will constantly both obviously and insidiously pound away cause they know whats best for each one of us.
This is IMO mainly about power tripping, with a genuine air of superiority, which sometimes is derived from a belief that you are actually better because of your core beliefs either religious or acedemic or otherwise.
Say what you want, this is absolutely no longer a typical sledding 4m, its changed, for better or worse,....... we all will have to decide which it is.
I personally can't stand the assumption that others profess to know whats best for me, despite my objections.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I agree with CNTRVLSLEDDER. Religion is irrelevant to this discussion and ought to be left out of it. This is a SLEDDING forum, not a religious forum. No one has any call to be attacking any particular faith.

I will agree with slick as well..I do see your point as well DEE, but slick is right...this place has changed to a my way or the hiway attitude from both admin and some of the mods..I almost red repped a mod the other day for his remarks to another member,(my red is a pretty big hit) which I am sure will get me an infraction or two..maybe banned..but I think it is time for admin to put a stop to the heavy handed modding or for us members to stand up and say..enough..we arnt going to keep putting up with it...

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I almost red repped a mod the other day for his remarks to another member,(my red is a pretty big hit) which I am sure will get me an infraction or two..maybe banned..

Don't hold back. Boondock and I have handed out plenty of red rep to the mods. It's really the only entertainment on here any more. The flood of pm's and Boo Hoo's that come afterwards are pricless. :D

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
I will agree with slick as well..I do see your point as well DEE, but slick is right...this place has changed to a my way or the hiway attitude from both admin and some of the mods..I almost red repped a mod the other day for his remarks to another member,(my red is a pretty big hit) which I am sure will get me an infraction or two..maybe banned..but I think it is time for admin to put a stop to the heavy handed modding or for us members to stand up and say..enough..we arnt going to keep putting up with it...

Don't hold back. Boondock and I have handed out plenty of red rep to the mods. It's really the only entertainment on here any more. The flood of pm's and Boo Hoo's that come afterwards are pricless. :D

I agree with boss. I would hand it out if I felt it was needed.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage

I bet 10 mil red goes over good huh?..have slapped red 3 times since I have been here...might happen more in the future......

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Do I swear in my life? Yes. Am I trying to do it less? Yes. When I take a few minutes and think about it, I can come up with all kinds of rational reasons why I should not use a swear-word. Then real life and emotion comes into play; perhaps a hammer and my thumb, or a little peer influence, and the four-letter words start-a-flyin'. I'm not proud of it, and I'm trying to do better. This decision has nothing to do with any sort of faith-based value system, it has more to do with trying to improve my communication skills.

I think Dee, Slick and BackCountry have all made good points. I like how this thread is progressing: there are good exchanges, without personal attacks. I realize this is my opinion, but that is what I like about any forum.

Personally, I agree with Slick, with regards to the 'overall atmosphere' this site has morphed into. But, that being said, I don't find that particularly offensive. While I don't share the beliefs of the LDS church, I will not put them (or any other faith sect) down in a public forum.

One thing that gets me, and I keep coming back to it, is that SOMEONE has to 'own' the site. More than just the right to the domain name, the actual hardware, wires, and other computer stuff. Maybe they own a building, but at the very least, they are responsible for the rent on the location. They pay the bills. Either way, there is one person, (or group of people) that are financially responsible. And, it's their ball, they get to make the rules. (see: real world 'golden rule' v 2.0: He who has the gold makes the rules) And, all it takes is someone who knows how to implement the software tools that censor certain letter combination. While it could be Christopher making that decision (as opposed to just running the program), it doesn't have to be. I don't have those skills, but I can assure you, that if I had decision making powers over a forum like this, I would do my best to eliminate certain words from members' posts. The reason for this is simple, and it's a business one: You don't scare off folks that swear with clean language, but you DO scare off folks that find it particularly objectionable. And, that folks, is basic marketing: Appeal to the largest possible demographic. And, by doing so, that's not saying 'I support swearing', or 'I am against swearing', it's a business choice.

On a slightly different note: I noticed the "BCR" in a post a few posts up, and it's the first time I've seen those letters allowed in that order for a LONG time. I think that's great. If this place is so great, it should have nothing to fear from people referencing other sites.

So, I guess to sum it up, I'm not against ownership 'censoring' out profanity or 'swear-words', but I do think its foolish to censor out other letter combinations; like other forum names or links, to me, that shows massive insecurity.

Now, after all that being said, someone sent me a Private message, telling me that they have read posts on other sites by folks trying to sabotage SW. Personally, I have not read those posts, but I trust the person that told me. I think that is poor behavior, and it's just plain wrong to do. If you want to go that far, buy out the ownership group, and make your own rules. (and I'll support and defend your prerogative to do so) Just because I support their prerogative to run this place any way they want, does not mean I won't continue to try to respectfully write and post my detailed objections. But, because they pay the bills, the have the right to any attitude they wish - even if they ruin the site.

With regards to 'red rep', I applaud AKsnowrider for the thought he put into that. He recognizes the ramifications that might cause. That's likely a big part of the reason he has that much rep power. Now, that being said, if after careful consideration, one feels it's warranted, well, that is why that feature is in place, and why a members opinion is weighted.

PE

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
good post polar..and you are right..the foul language should be at least toned down in the post..I too cuss to much..(my mom thought she was a sailor and taught me good)...:face-icon-small-hap

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Lots of good points in this thread, but I'll keep my comment short.

The reason for this is simple, and it's a business one: You don't scare off folks that swear with clean language, but you DO scare off folks that find it particularly objectionable. And, that folks, is basic marketing: Appeal to the largest possible demographic. And, by doing so, that's not saying 'I support swearing', or 'I am against swearing', it's a business choice.

You got it!:beer;

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I fixed it for ya.

The reason for this is simple, and it's a business one: You don't scare off folks that can post for free, but you DO scare off folks that find it particularly objectionable to pay. And, that folks, is basic marketing: Appeal to the largest possible demographic. And, by doing so, that's not saying 'I support paying', or 'I am against paying', it's a business choice.
You got it!

Oh fiddlesticks, wrong thread.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I fixed it for ya.

The reason for this is simple, and it's a business one: You don't scare off folks that can post for free, but you DO scare off folks that find it particularly objectionable to pay. And, that folks, is basic marketing: Appeal to the largest possible demographic. And, by doing so, that's not saying 'I support paying', or 'I am against paying', it's a business choice.
You got it!

Oh fiddlesticks, wrong thread.
not this crap again..... what is the point? this boat has sailed... it is time to move on.... like 4 months ago.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Obama was put in office over a year ago and people are still complaining about it. Different subject, same point.
no it isn't, govt does not equal private company

govt = your responsibility to vote on it, you have some control
private company = if you don't like it don't buy it

Again, this decision has been made a long time ago. There isn't anything new that you can say or point to prove. There is no changing it. It seems that a lot of people have a really hard time accepting this.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
no it isn't, govt does not equal private company

govt = your responsibility to vote on it, you have some control
private company = if you don't like it don't buy it

Again, this decision has been made a long time ago. There isn't anything new that you can say or point to prove. There is no changing it. It seems that a lot of people have a really hard time accepting this.

ruffy..up to a point..your right..yet your wrong....I bet if 50% of the members left on here banned togeather and left at 1 time..things would change..one way or another....I accepted along time ago what it is ...it is..but doesnt mean I agree with it..or endorse it....

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
ruffy..up to a point..your right..yet your wrong....I bet if 50% of the members left on here banned togeather and left at 1 time..things would change..one way or another....I accepted along time ago what it is ...it is..but doesnt mean I agree with it..or endorse it....
unless they burned all their bridges and left all in a huff. Then I would assume that they would just say good riddance!! Wait, didn't something like this already happen?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
unless they burned all their bridges and left all in a huff. Then I would assume that they would just say good riddance!! Wait, didn't something like this already happen?

doesnt mean its done happeneing....just think you, 20 mods and admin left here..that would be intertaining......

Premium Features