• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST IS GETTING GREATY

M
Sep 7, 2009
blackfoot
This is concerning snowest starting to charge for there forums.
So here is what happens next. all your members are mad and know that the companys get gready. they are very succesfull with there forums, but you think, well we should start charging for this service that everyone uses. then all your costomers know that you are no longer a loyal company, and you want to rip us off. so you lose more than half of your costomers. but you dont care, your getting money for doing nothing from all your gullable costomers, we will all find a forum that will not charge to put adds online. ( which is very easy to do online for free) i promise you that your company will not succeed online. you will lose subscribers from your magazine as well. which by the way i was a subscriber to snowest. but not any more. good riddenz snowest. it was good while it lasted.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Is it greedy to want to be paid for work......How long would YOU work without being paid. I agree the burdon should fall to the sponsors, however if that doesnt pay the bills I dont expect the staff to lose money on the site. Nothing is free, there is a cost associated with everything.

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Is it greedy to want to be paid for work......How long would YOU work without being paid. I agree the burdon should fall to the sponsors, however if that doesnt pay the bills I dont expect the staff to lose money on the site. Nothing is free, there is a cost associated with everything.

So how is it that sites like Craigs list are free and are much larger than snowest....I suppose they all work for nothing!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
So how is it that sites like Craigs list are free and are much larger than snowest....I suppose they all work for nothing!

From Forbes.com;

Here is the link if you want it.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/08/newspaper-classifield-online-tech_cx-lh_1211craigslist.html

So how exactly does Craigslist make money?

By charging $25 for job postings in six of its largest U.S. markets and $75 for job listings in San Francisco and by assessing a $10 fee for brokered apartment listings in New York City, Buckmaster replied.

Period. End of story. All other listings in those markets are free, as are all listings in the more than 100 other markets the company serves in the U.S. and overseas.

Craigslist is also 25% owned by Ebay.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO

Craigslist is not free.......They charge for services. They must make enough on the following services

All craigslist postings are free, except for:
1. Job posts in the San Francisco Bay Area

The fee for posting a job in the SF Bay Area is $75. This fee pays for one job in one category.
(One job posted in two different categories would cost $150.)
2. Job posts in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Orange County, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, Seattle, South Florida, and Washington DC

The fee for posting a job in these cities is $25. This fee pays for one job in one category.
(One job posted in two different categories would cost $50.)
3. Brokered apartment rental listings in New York

The fee for posting a brokered apartment rental in New York City is $10.
4. Posts in adult services and therapeutic services on craigslist sites in the United States.

The fee for posting ads in these categories is $10. Live approved ads can be re-posted for $5.

Craigslist makes 80 million a year and it isnt from letting you sling you 20 inch rims for free. Like I said nothing is free.

http://www.businessinsider.com/2008...on-80-million-in-2008-revenue-worth-5-billion

Dec 3, 2007
Twin Cities, MN

So the staff is losing money on this site? How big of paid staff do they have?

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
This is concerning snowest starting to charge for there forums.
So here is what happens next. all your members are mad and know that the companys get gready. they are very succesfull with there forums, but you think, well we should start charging for this service that everyone uses. then all your costomers know that you are no longer a loyal company, and you want to rip us off. so you lose more than half of your costomers. but you dont care, your getting money for doing nothing from all your gullable costomers, we will all find a forum that will not charge to put adds online. ( which is very easy to do online for free) i promise you that your company will not succeed online. you will lose subscribers from your magazine as well. which by the way i was a subscriber to snowest. but not any more. good riddenz snowest. it was good while it lasted.

Looks like snowest benefited you by getting your sled sold, you even praise the forums in your last post. So you made 3800.00 from their services and they want 10.00 from you and now YOUR getting ripped off:face-icon-small-con
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194472

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Looks like snowest benefited you by getting your sled sold, you even praise the forums in your last post. So you made 3800.00 from their services and they want 10.00 from you and now YOUR getting ripped off:face-icon-small-con
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194472

I'd be willing to bet he would have been happy to pay say 20 bucks to put his sled on here to sell. Along with everyone else who has something for sale. I'd also bet Snowest would have made alot more money doing it that way.

J

jlebrun_05

Dec 9, 2007
Dell Rapids, SD

Now I guess google and yahoo heard about this and are going to start charging 5 cents per search. Cannot believe how many people are actually backing up and defending this bs..:face-icon-small-sho

dsp81

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2005
I'd be willing to bet he would have been happy to pay say 20 bucks to put his sled on here to sell. Along with everyone else who has something for sale. I'd also bet Snowest would have made alot more money doing it that way.

Been there, tried that. SnoWest tried to do an eBay style auction site that charged users to sell items. And, predictably, everyone complained about paying.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Been there, tried that. SnoWest tried to do an eBay style auction site that charged users to sell items. And, predictably, everyone complained about paying.

When did this happen? I have been here since about 98 and recall nothing like that. And if it was an ebay type deal I could understand the complaints. I won't sell anything at auction. My price is my price take it or leave it. That is why I still have the one thing I tried to sell here. Would not let anyone beat me down. But I would have paid to run the ad here.

dsp81

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2005
When did this happen? I have been here since about 98 and recall nothing like that. And if it was an ebay type deal I could understand the complaints. I won't sell anything at auction. My price is my price take it or leave it. That is why I still have the one thing I tried to sell here. Would not let anyone beat me down. But I would have paid to run the ad here.

It was between '03 and '05 - I don't remember exactly. It was up for quite a while and nobody used it, so it went away. There were a lot of complaints about having to pay. As I recall, there was a buy-it-now type listing along with the auction style. But everybody wanted the free listings back.

As to you point about paying to list, many people also said they'd donate to SnoWest if it was voluntary...

Last edited:
S
Feb 6, 2008
I think alot of people are defending the fact they paid and are trying justify it. Simply put IMO when something get popular along comes somebody to capitalize from it. Sucks but here we are

dsp81

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2005
I think alot of people are defending the fact they paid and are trying justify it. Simply put IMO when something get popular along comes somebody to capitalize from it. Sucks but here we are

SnoWest's forums have existed for over 10 years for free. Apparently there wasn't a rush to "capitalize from it." Or you just haven't recognized SnoWest's attempts to capitalize the forums.

But the larger question for me in this thing has always been: why shouldn't they try to monetize this asset? I understand that some do not want to pay and that's fine. But it's not like this has ever been an altruistic gesture on the part of SnoWest; the point of it was always to make money.

Pay, don't pay - that's a personal decision. But saying a business shouldn't be free to make money the way they want to make money with an asset they've been developing for years is a little silly. And before you tell me that "it's the users," etc. - the community wouldn't have existed without SnoWest, either.

Last edited:
P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
M Series,

Your profile says you're 24 years old. I'll offer you a bit of advice I received when I was four years younger than you are now: If you want to be taken seriously, take yourself seriously. It's fine to have an opinion, no matter how old you are; our opinions are shaped by our perspective and our perspective is based on our experiences in life. But, how we express that opinion goes a long way in determining how others will receive it.

Some general suggestions for EVERYONE:
1)It's always worth taking the time to check your spelling and punctuation. 2)Personal attacks are usually a bad idea, especially in a public setting.
3)Make sure you use words in the proper context; (ex: loose/lose, or their/there/they're, or sight/site, etc.) many do not.

Now, you can ignore me, tell me off, or learn from someone who is sincerely trying to help you out. Your call.

Lord knows, I agree with what appears to be your objection to SW going to a pay platform. I'm seriously upset about it. I'm more upset at how it was handled though. And, I have written those objections enthusiastically. There may be larger issues at play here than we as a 'membership' have been told.

Best wishes,
PE

Premium Features