• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Left side drive shaft cover/holder broken zirk

S
Nov 10, 2009
Saskatchewan
Hello out there, I broke the damn grease nipple off that gold colored cap that covers the left end of the drive shaft, the one with the speedo wire's hooked to it...when i remover the 6 nuts holding that cap on what will fall out???!!! I need to replace the zirk but want to take it off to ensure I do it properly.
Thanks in advance, Corey.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Hello out there, I broke the damn grease nipple off that gold colored cap that covers the left end of the drive shaft, the one with the speedo wire's hooked to it...when i remover the 6 nuts holding that cap on what will fall out???!!! I need to replace the zirk but want to take it off to ensure I do it properly.
Thanks in advance, Corey.
Nothing should fall out, but it would be adviseable to replace the bearing on that end of the drive shaft at least since you'll have it apart. You'll have to drain your chaincase and open it up to remove the lower gear from the other end of the driveshaft and slide it out. The bearing on the speedo drive end is notorious for failing, and can cause quite a bit of damage when it does crap out.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Similar thing happened to me. I went to grease the nipple, and it came right off. I tried to thread it back in but no go. Thought it was broke. I undid the 6 bolts for that gold cover, and just retaped the threads for the nipple and it went right in. Use a little bit of locktite for sure. Nothing will fall out. Just make sure when you put the gold bracket back on, you remove the speed sensor first, otherwise it can get marked up with the install. Good luck. It's a straight forward task.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
what sled are you working on? If it one of the newer sleds you don't need to grease it. my 09 has a sealed bearing and the sensor in there. no grease needed. I don't know on the older Iq's and the edge chassis and older need greased for sure. I would not just change the bearing since you are pulling that cover off. it takes like 5 minutes at the most to pull that plate off

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
what sled are you working on? If it one of the newer sleds you don't need to grease it. my 09 has a sealed bearing and the sensor in there. no grease needed. I don't know on the older Iq's and the edge chassis and older need greased for sure. I would not just change the bearing since you are pulling that cover off. it takes like 5 minutes at the most to pull that plate off
Good call, I was thinking Gen2/Edge chassis when I posted but it looks like this is in the 9hundo forum.

S
Nov 10, 2009
Saskatchewan
Thanks dudes, it is an 06'900. I'll try the tap in zirk first, if it doesn't hold I'll take the gold cover off and rethread it...I was just worried abunch of tiny gears or bearings would fall out - my luck -.
Thanks again...here's to ya's:beer;:beer;:beer;.

Premium Features