• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good software for mapping with Rino 530 GPS?

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I've seen a post somewhere but can't find it and am looking for tips on how best to use GPS with Google maps etc. The software that came with my Rino seems to be difficult to use.

Curious as to what others might be using managing tracks/waypoint etc?

Appreciate any input!

D
Nov 26, 2007
Gillette, Wy
Not sure how easy it is, but it's certainly possible to use Google Earth with your GPS. I think pretty much any software that can deal with gpx files can if you look around a little. I do it by creating points in a folder in Google Earth and then save it out as either a kml or kmz. You can then load that file with this program (http://www.gpstm.com/) and upload to all kinds of different GPS. You can do the reverse and d/l from your GPS as well. If you want to get real technical with it, there are even ways to get that program to read your NMEA string and give you a real-time updated placemark in Google Earth...lol.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Yep, I use LoadMyTracks (For Mac, sorry) for moving waypoints/tracks/routes to/from the GPS. Editing and organization I just use a text editor for... GPX files are pretty easy XML. Use whitespace right and you get a pretty GPX file full of waypoints.

End of the ride I dump what's in my GPS into the folder I keep the pics from the day in. Google Earth will plot that data.

Premium Features