• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel tank filler neck cracked 2010 M8

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Just noticed a crack below the gas cap threads.

I always made sure to never overtighten the cap and I never supported the gas station filler nozzle/handle on the tank while filling with fuel.

Figured I’d never have an issue because I was very careful. WRONG :face-icon-small-sad

Now, I haven’t seen a post on this in a while but a few years ago some people were saying Arctic Cat was replacing bad tanks for free or minimal cost.

Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
It was available for the firecats and they will still repair them to this day, but I'm not sure about the M's. you might have to call your dealer about that one

Glock41

Premium Member
Jan 9, 2016
Selah wa
Had mine replaced a few years ago for the same reason. Call your dealer. They did mine and a riding buddy’s at the same time for free no questions asked. I think it was a safety recall. Arctic cat had to replace a bunch of m-series tanks

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Thanks guys. I will call today.

Any good temporary fix ideas until I can get a new tank?

Not sure what the tank is made of.

Current ideas:
JB weld told me this via email:
The J-B Plastic Bonder is made specifically for polypropylene and polyethylene plastics. The same type of plastic you are trying to repair. The product numbers are 50133 and 50139. You will need to be able to roughen up all surface areas before you apply the product.

J-B Weld Support

P.O. Box 483 | Sulphur Springs, TX 75483
Ph: 903.885.7696 | Fx: 903.885.5911

or
loctite plastic bonder
or
VersChem fuel tank epoxy
or
other ideas?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Coldfinger, Fortunately neither my '10 M8 nor my '11 Crossfire tank necks have cracked yet. I did however talk with an unfortunate sled owner in West Yellowstone last winter on a sledding vacation that had a cracked filler neck on his sled, who was in the shop ordering a new tank. He was also a autobody mechanic by trade and told me that at his shop at home, he could empty & dry the tank and fix it with a "plastic welder"! Based on that info, you may want to check out that option at a good autobody shop for a faster fix. Also a poster back in 2016 on Arctic Chat used PRC 1826 B1/4 aircraft sealant while waiting for his replacement tank.

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am pickup up some J-B Weld today and dealer is checking with Arctic Cat to see how much if any they will cover toward a new tank.

I am going to get the 50139 or 50133 and hopefully there is a black option.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
There are multiple posts on Arctic Chat.com concerning the cracked filler necks on Crossfires & M's. It seems the good dealers get AC to cover the cost of a replacement tank, but most posters had to pay labor for the install or do it themselves!

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
Just noticed the same thing on my 2009 M-8 that barely gets used only 600 miles. Replacement from Arctic Cat is in the mail replaced by my awesome dealer and parts lady Michelle. Same crack near the threads. No cost to me but I don`t have a dealer close so will have to install myself. So not sure if Arctic Cat would pay to have it installed or not but would think they would.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Dealer indicated Cat would cover it and I thought that included labor too but will ask Monday.

I heard it wasnt too difficult to do yourself. Remove a few bolts and seat comes off. Remove a few more and tank comes off. Didnt ask about fuel line or electrical, figured it would not be hard to figure out.

J
Aug 28, 2019
PNW
Just noticed the same thing on my 2009 M-8 that barely gets used only 600 miles. Replacement from Arctic Cat is in the mail replaced by my awesome dealer and parts lady Michelle. Same crack near the threads. No cost to me but I don`t have a dealer close so will have to install myself. So not sure if Arctic Cat would pay to have it installed or not but would think they would.
Beng- who is your dealer? I'd like to have them cover mine as well- my local Vancouver guy isn't being very cooperative - I have a 2010 M8 with the same issue- only 950 miles on it. Much thanks!

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
I’m going through this now with my new to me 09 M8. Hasn’t been replaced on this sled yet (checked VIN). My dealer is telling me that the tanks are no longer available and that cat wouldn’t be making any more of them. My dealer said the 06 crossfire tank is nearly the same except has nuts for knee pads. He brought that to Cat and they still said no. So as of right now, I’m making 2-3 calls to cat customer service every week and have heard nothing back. Pretty upset about the deal since everybody else has seemed to have luck.

And here I am dumping gas all over and getting it soaked into my bibs because cat has been saying since October that my tank is being pushed out another two weeks. That is, until a few weeks ago when they said no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I’m going through this now with my new to me 09 M8. Hasn’t been replaced on this sled yet (checked VIN). My dealer is telling me that the tanks are no longer available and that cat wouldn’t be making any more of them. My dealer said the 06 crossfire tank is nearly the same except has nuts for knee pads. He brought that to Cat and they still said no. So as of right now, I’m making 2-3 calls to cat customer service every week and have heard nothing back. Pretty upset about the deal since everybody else has seemed to have luck.

And here I am dumping gas all over and getting it soaked into my bibs because cat has been saying since October that my tank is being pushed out another two weeks. That is, until a few weeks ago when they said no.

Crossfire and Mseries tanks are not the same. U can see the physical differences 50ft away...
Anyway, that's irrelevant, i just had to say something.
U can plastic weld the tank or even melt it together with a soldering iron. I used the soldering iron back in 2012 and rode the sled till 2014 no issues.

Sent it

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Thank you Summ8rmk. I would try that, I just have hesitation because the previous owner put some crap on it already that’s rock hard and won’t come off.
224720dc4030f3ff0be152a5fb1a08d8.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Put some weight on it so it touches the tank and try to melt it with a soldering iron. Can't hurt it?

Sent it

J
Aug 28, 2019
PNW
Guys! There is a guy in Portland making replacement tanks for $200- worked great and comes with a lifetime warranty - seems like those recall replacements are never going to show- Installed one of these on my 2010 M8 and worked great! Fast shipping too-

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Thanks JB. Just looking, it’s $249 plus $95 shipping, but I’ll probably still do it.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
My replacement tank from Cat holds 10.5 gal from completely empty to 2” below very top of filler neck.

Thats nearly 1 gallon smaller than stock (oem specs anyway) but it was free so cant complain. I just wanted to know because on my first ride the fuel gauge seemed to get to E awful quickly.

While filling, I measured the fuel one gallon at a time to get an idea what my actual fuel is at a certain depth and gauge reading.

6 gal remaining is 5” from bottom of tank and approx 4 bars from full.
5 g is 4” and 8 bars to empty, counting the tiniest bars
4 g is 3.25” and 3 bars to empty
3 g is 2.5” and fuel gauge is in middle of E
2 g is 2”
1 g is 1.25”

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
Thank you Summ8rmk. I would try that, I just have hesitation because the previous owner put some crap on it already that’s rock hard and won’t come off.
224720dc4030f3ff0be152a5fb1a08d8.jpg

It looks like they used a plastic weld kit. However, they didn’t get the plastic from the tank warm enough and just caked on a bunch of filler. I had to do the same repairs to the tank on a 2000 Mountain Cat.

Premium Features