• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rino 650 user report

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Been using the Rino 650 for the last 5 rides. The touch screen is awesome. So easy to use. We have had to use the manual or you tube only a couple times to figure out how something works. We do turn the screen up to 80-100% backlit to see it better in the sun. The radio is awesome. Saves so many headaches especially early in the year when we are scouting out routes. Don't have to get every one turned around. I love the polling feature where I can see everyone in my group right on the GPS screen. One of our group is always running around by himself and I can track him just by looking at my screen. Also, the screen works great in the cold. We keep them in our pockets when not in use. I am going to try a radio mike like the ski patrollers and cops use. Just clip it to my shoulder so I don't have to pull the radio out each time to use it. Battery lasts 2 days if you shut it down at night.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
good to hear, has anyone left it out on there dash, i run my 530 on a ram mount by my riser, put it on in the morning and its there all day, garmim told me they didnt know how the touch screen would work in freezing temps, they dont recommend using it below freezing, anyone else using it

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
good to hear, has anyone left it out on there dash, i run my 530 on a ram mount by my riser, put it on in the morning and its there all day, garmim told me they didnt know how the touch screen would work in freezing temps, they dont recommend using it below freezing, anyone else using it

do they by chance come with DVD instructions?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
No. A crappy little quick start guide. Just go to youtube and search whatever you want to do or use. Somebody has a great how to for every feature.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Used mine in the handlebar ram mount yesterday. Rain and snow all day on it and it worked flawlessly.

Theres a PDF users manual stored on the unit. Plug it in via USB and look in the file folders to find it, then copy it to you PC for easy access.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
RMK can you see the screen well enough to use it for navigating? I have had to turn the backlight up to 90% and then it still doesn't seem very easy to see with my goggles on. Where did you get your ram mount? BTW, thanks again for the help you sent my way.

skierh2o

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Gpscity now has the ram stuff in for these units!
I bought the 655 right when it came out and it is great!
but untill last week ram didnt have there stuff available yet....

I dash mounted it on the pro rmk next to the factory guage.....looks good. Easy to see. And the windshield protects it real well!

Ill post a few pics when i get back home in a day or two!

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
RMK can you see the screen well enough to use it for navigating? I have had to turn the backlight up to 90% and then it still doesn't seem very easy to see with my goggles on. Where did you get your ram mount? BTW, thanks again for the help you sent my way.

I run my backlight at 100% when riding, the max screen time out is 2 mins, so you're not going to run the battery down.

I mounted mine right next to the bars clamp and pointed the mount downward, then rotated the Rino clamp unit upward. This way the unit is below the mountain bar, so if I have to roll the slde over or if its rolls on its own, it's not going to take too much abuse.

It ends up right in between the speedo dial and MFD. I can see all 3 while riding and navigating while riding is a breeze....you can even reach down and poll your buddy while going down the trail and see his location if hes off trail.

I'll post some pics of the mount tomorrow.

skierh2o

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
184eebed-41ea-50af.jpg

Here's a pic of my ram mounted 655.

Next to the guage lifter it sits nearly flush.

skierh2o

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
anyone know how to download the pics from the 655t onto PC?

Like any other usb device, has a folder just like a sony cam actually.

As well once plugged in a full users manual is in a file on the unit itself.

Very user friendly providing you have a pc to plug into!

Ryan

S

scarlier

Dec 29, 2009
Sicamous, BC
Been using the Rino 650 for the last 5 rides. The touch screen is awesome. So easy to use. We have had to use the manual or you tube only a couple times to figure out how something works. We do turn the screen up to 80-100% backlit to see it better in the sun. The radio is awesome. Saves so many headaches especially early in the year when we are scouting out routes. Don't have to get every one turned around. I love the polling feature where I can see everyone in my group right on the GPS screen. One of our group is always running around by himself and I can track him just by looking at my screen. Also, the screen works great in the cold. We keep them in our pockets when not in use. I am going to try a radio mike like the ski patrollers and cops use. Just clip it to my shoulder so I don't have to pull the radio out each time to use it. Battery lasts 2 days if you shut it down at night.

Which kind of mic are u gonna buy? i would like to try this as well!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Haven't seen it yet but I dint think so. The mic is also a speaker the way I understand it. You can hear the transmit very well and you respond by hitting the mic button and talking at the mic. No need to remove your helmet. I'll double check that.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
We're out in Cooke this week with my first chance to really use my 650 for what I bought it for and I'm impressed. First whole day of riding done and battery was still at 80 percent..I have the whole Cooke riding area downloaded with birdseye and that is really cool also. I don't have any sort of mount for it, but have been using it tucked into my TA gear bar bag side pocket with just the antennae sticking out and worked exellent..also have a small tether attached to help keep it connected to my machine in case of "problems".:face-icon-small-hap

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Adding another note. .we had to run down to the parking area east of Cooke for some tools/parts and on the way back stopped at Lulu trail/212..sent my location and then used the radio to find the other half of our group... .got clear radio signal and they were probably 2 miles in thru the trees and over the hilltops..these rinos are awesome for this sport!!

Premium Features