• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'97 Powder Special Gas Leak

A
Dec 7, 2008
Background - 97 bone stock powder special 2600km. I've owned the sled for two years that have been trouble free.

Last year after summerizing it (I store it in our garage), I noticed a gas smell after a week. I checked the around it and in the engine - couldn't see any obvious signs of gas pooling so I figured it must be a freak thing. I could smell it everytime the garage had been shut up for awhile (overnight). I checked the gas gauge every once in awhile and it seemed like it was dropping.

I siphoned most of the gas out of it and the smell went away (there was still some left in the tank).

I filled it up before riding last weekend and now its sitting in my garage and the gas fumes are back.

So, before I go ripping things apart, does anyone know of problem locations for gas leaks on this sled? Best way to track down a small gas leak?

Thanks.

Paul

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Start by looking over your carb connections. Then pull the air box so you can check out the fuel pump and tank connections. You may need to lay a paper towel under some stuff and let it sit a day to see where it is leaking. If that fails you could try the match method, but that has its shortcomings!

Last edited:
A
Nov 30, 2007
Alberta
:face-icon-small-win If it a carb model the first place I would check is the carb bowl drain lines. They tend to rot over time and start to leak at the fitting, replace or shorten.

Ajay.

A
Dec 7, 2008
Sorry - I should have mentioned that its an EFI. Does this change anything?

As you can tell its my first sled.

Thanks for the replies.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You just don't have carb bowls to check out. The fuel line just slides onto a little nipple on the tank and it would be a good place to check. I think the fitting just popped into the tank with a rubber gromet.

Premium Features