• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 Powder Special

J
Jan 30, 2008
Connell, WA
We just picked up this 600 powder special at the end of last year for a back up, hard to go back to riding one though after riding an M8. Anyway, the sled is engaging at 5000 RPM's. The weights on it now are 49 grams and the springs on the drive and driven are both yellow. We usually ride between 3 and 7000ft. So my question is, how much bigger of a weight would you go to get the clutch to engage at lower R's?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
You don't need new weights you need a lower starting rate spring with the same finish rate.

But be carefull with these 600's. They are major turds on the bottom end. They will not pull themselves off the trailer if the R's are to low.

My son's 600 is exactly the same way. 4800-5000 engagement.

Good luck

Thunder

J
Jan 30, 2008
Connell, WA
So i wont gain nothing by putting a larger weight size in? If we could get it to engage just 500 R's less would be better than what it is. It just seems like were having to make it scream at 5000 R's.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
As Arctic Thunder stated.........I too suggest a new spring with a lower starting rate. Leave the weights for now.

J
Jan 30, 2008
Connell, WA
Now, you guys are talking about the spring on the drive right? If so, do you guys have any recommendation as to what spring i should go to. I am pretty new to the whole clutch setup world so Ill any advice i can take.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Don't quote me here. You said a yellow primary (Drive) spring? Is there a green stripe on it also?

If so you have part number 0646-147 it has a starting rate of 114 and a finish of 267. So to get a lower start you would need a Gold spring PN0646-376 with a start of 75lbs and a finish of 275lbs. You might loose a few r's on the top but your engagement will be a lot lower. Probably to low. You might have to check with an aftermarket company to get a spring with the starting rate around 90-100 or so and a finish of 267 to keep your top end the same.

Something to try.

Thunder

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
One last thing.

Have you checked the bushings in the weights?

If not these AC clutches are really hard on weight bushings. So if you pry the clutch open a bit, see if you have any side to side movement in the weight. It they are hanging up it will increase your engagement also.

Thunder

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Engagement from the factory was supposed to be 4500 with your set-up. Like Thunder said check the pins and bushings in the cams, I'll bet they are worn. Also in those years Cat, in their infinite wisdom, put out two different yellow/green springs both finished at 264 but part number 0146-526 started at 134, 20 lbs. heavier than the other one.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Powder special

1. try a red polaris primary clutch spring.........ran lots of them in this vintage no low end sleds

2. get yourself a green cat secodary spring and run it in the second hole at most............clean clutch's so you can run there without slipping. Yellow spring were ........lets just say a poor choice by cat who didn't know any better at the time.

3. MAKE SURE CLUTCH'S ARE ALIGNED or secondary float .0100 .......its critical. EFI or carbed ? Lots of these sleds have secondary semi permanently stuck on the secondary shaft by now.

4. and yes bought a 5% chance the primary clutch weight bushings are ok, 2% chance they are good. New pinned cat primary when you can find one in the old small taper.

J
Jan 30, 2008
Connell, WA
It is EFI, and i forgot to mention its the powder special limited edition, if that makes any difference. Both the drive and driven are running yellow springs, and when i go to order parts at country cat, they say the front should be yellow with a white stripe and back should be yellow. If you guys could lead me to a better place to order parts, like the green spring, i would sure appreciate it.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It is EFI, and i forgot to mention its the powder special limited edition, if that makes any difference. Both the drive and driven are running yellow springs, and when i go to order parts at country cat, they say the front should be yellow with a white stripe and back should be yellow. If you guys could lead me to a better place to order parts, like the green spring, i would sure appreciate it.

They are a good place to get parts from. I looked it up and they did come with the y/w in 98' I think the y/g is a better choice 114 lbs. at 2 3/8" and 264 lbs. at 1 3/8" The y/w was 122 and 285. As far as the secondary goes, they came with the yellow, which works fine for tral riding, it allows for fast up-shifting to gain speed quick. For deep snow the red/white is better. Thunder likes the green, which is very stiff and I feel it does not pick up speed fast enough, but will keep your R's up.

2001MC800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
rapid city, sd
the belt is suppose to be 3/16th of an inch above the secondary clutch but buying a longer belt might work but the right way to do it is take some of the shims out of the secondary clutch on the inside of the clutch and put them behind the clutch my dad has a 2000 zr500 and he was running high rpms to move also he took the shims out and it helped him out the secondary clutch is suppose to be loose on the shaft anyways so it should just pull right off buy taking the outside bolt out then take the three nuts off that hold the clutch together and open it up take the shims/ washers out put the clutch back together put the shims behind the clutch when you put it back on

Premium Features