• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 Summit 800- Good Sled?

R
May 15, 2016
Colorado
I'm looking at buying my first mountain sled and am on a budget. I found an excellent condition, low mileage 2004 Summit. I believe it is a 144". Is this a good first sled and how is a 144" going to perform off trail (deep powder)? Thanks, Rick

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I had a buddy that had a clapped out old '04 144" with about 6k on it and everyone had a turn on it. That sled worked so freakin good it was amazing! One of my favourites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Put over 5k miles on an 04 800X 144, bought new, and half of them stock.

Running weak points stock are the skis and the 'flying nun' front clip. There are braces available for the nun if this sled doesn't have them - highly recommended if you are going to take it offtrail. One hard hit to a ski can bend up the front (you'll see the ski pushed back and inch or so). Too many guys found out the hard way. Braces were readily available for the 440x race sled, riveted in, and worked great. If you ride offtrail, you've been warned. Sled really liked simmons skis, the stocker offsets, those were garbage.

This was also the first motor with isoflex grease on the main bearings (they were sealed and not lubed by oil injection). Some lost crank bearings, particularly PTOs, and would also tend to push out the PTO seal behind the primary, doing nothing good for the bearing. FWIW.

Other than keeping the clutches clean and aligned, carbs clean, the sled is a workhorse fun machine. The stock 2" track is really good all around, and tough, but obviously only a 2" 144 - it won't climb or push pow like a bigger track. The stock TRA will wear out bushings ridden hard, doing nothing good for clutching. Just life with the TRAIII. Watch out for the Y-pipe allen screws backing out of the cylinders - can easily be fixed with norlock washers. I did many mods to the sled, just because I could, but stock, they were fun, high performing, and pretty reliable.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
one of the biggest issues with sleds of that era is that the dpm hoses come off. then it runs super rich.

seems like i run into 1-2 hippie snowboarders every year with this problem. Bro my sled wont get up this hill, its been running like this for 3 years. 2 seconds to check all the dpm lines and its back at 8000rpm.

loctite the y-pipe bolts.

top ends fly apart around 2500 miles.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I still regret trading my 04 151" on a 05 RT.
That 04 was one of the funnest and easiest sleds to ride.
If I remember correctly flaking rings were a major problem that year.
I blew mine up at 800 miles but it did have a 30hp shot of nos in it

What I remember the most about that sled was the speed wobble when letting off in setup snow conditions, it was scary until I learned how to ride it better.

Premium Features