• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown Base Gasket On TM-7??

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Blew a base gasket on my TM-7 today. I put new pistons in earlier this season and the oem gasket was back-ordered, so I put a two-piece Winderosa gasket in, and blew the PTO side out. I assume the base gaskets for the turbos are just oem Cat, but can anyone confirm this for me? I wouldn't have thought the two-piece would have been that big of a deal over the one-piece I took out but it must?? Any opinions on this? I figured if everthing was torqued to spec it should hold, or do you use more torque on the base gaskets with a turbo?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I just put a topend on my 900 and used coppercoat, dont remember the brand name but they recomend it in the service manuals, got it from the auto parts store its a greenish sticky sealant with copper flakes in it. Plus Ive reused many base gaskets (coated aluminum ones) with this stuff and it seems to work fine!

speedfreak

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Owatonna, MN
I Have A Tm7 800 Miles On Bd Turbo Stock Base Gasket Stock Torque No Problems. Have Ran 18 Psi Boost On A Grass Drag Only 400 Ft. Run 12-13 Out West. Anything Over 13 Psi Is All Most Unmanagable!!!!!!!

2strokeboost

Nov 26, 2007
alberta, canada
have used stock base gasket on turbo m7 and doubled up the stock one on the turbo m1000 never had any issues, never changed them even with piston changes,

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
have used stock base gasket on turbo m7 and doubled up the stock one on the turbo m1000 never had any issues, never changed them even with piston changes,

Correct, like I said the stock aluminum coated ones are reuseable, but cat recomends putting the copper coat on it durring reassembly.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
What I have done is torque the clynders down, leave them for a few hours, then loosen them off and retorque them.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
What is that supposed to accomplish?

It ensures that you get the right rotary girder spec on the base gasket modulator.
lol, I would also like to know what would be the point of that?

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
It ensures that you get the right rotary girder spec on the base gasket modulator.
lol, I would also like to know what would be the point of that?

It lets the gasket seat in and compress, it is not going to help much with a single thin base gasket. If you have to stack base gaskets or you big bore kit came with a thicker base gasket I think it is a good idea. Just a suggestion

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I think I found some issues with the Winderosa base gasket that will make me only use the OEM or have Cometic make me one to my specs. The Winderosa was two pieces (one for each cylinder), I didn't really like that. The core in the Winderosa one was aluminum vs stainless steel in the OEM. The OEM gasket also has ridges built into it to give it some "bite".

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I have also used 1211 three bond on my WC tripple (paper base gaskets though) theres a part of the case that gets really thin by the water jacket and you need some good sealant to keep it from leaking, works great! Also permatex right stuff works great!

Premium Features