• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 M series handling issues...help!

D

dre

Jan 25, 2008
Portland OR
vimeo.com
Hi,

I've got 2005 M6 that has some handling issues - mainly noticeable on the trail at higher speeds....( the deep snow handling isn't bad)

1. Darting: any decent bump or weight change sends the sled darting off in various directions

2. Sliding out: under power the sled loses traction super easy. I suspect the track is the main culprit. The paddle 'hook' on the attack 20 is retarded. I'd rather not fork out $600 on a new track when so any suggestions most welcome.

I put the Holz torque arm relocation bracket on the skid & that helped quite a bit. Mainly, it allowed the suspention to actually work, which is lots better on big bumps.

I adjusted the skis so that the back edges are slightly narrower than the tips. That heped a bit..I think. Should I apply more 'ski taper'? How much is enough?

Dre

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
straighten out the attack 20,
it's a mountain sled, not a trail sled they will handle like sh!t at higher speeds

S

sledhead699

Dec 10, 2007
whitefish, (havre) MT
yes i agree there are mountian sleds and they do not handle very good on the trail that is why there and an (M) for mountian not trail or high speeds. i hit 80 mph on my M7 and thought i was going to Die it was all over the place but you gust get use to it on the trails.

m7freak

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coburg, Oregon
Poor Handling

I agree, they are not trail sleds but but it shouldn't handle real bad at high speeds. Mine started to handle terrible on the trails last year and I found that my a-arm bushing were thrashed. Replaced them this last summer and it was a whole new ride. Way better!! Might feel those arms if there is any play it's time to swap out those bushings.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
My 05 M7 handles excellent after a few mods. I had my skid shocks revalved by holz because the 05 valving is horrible. I also did the GEO mod to the rear suspension, holz relocation brackets and also I am running 06 valving in the front shocks. I would send those to Holz too to have them even further improve the valving but I am waiting till they need a rebuild. My skis are also toed in a half inch.

This sled can be made to handle great on and off the trail by doing a few things to it. I can slam the whoops and hit the roads at high speeds with no darting and bouncing and I am very pleased with the set up. It does excellent boondocking and climbing too.

Don't be fooled thinking it can't handle well on the trail because it is a mountain sled. Sure it will never be as great as a real trail sled but it is nice to have it dialed in niceley for the roads in and out of the riding areas.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Here's the list on the cheap, it will make your sled handle about 10x's better on the trail and even better in the steep and deep:

1. Holz bracket
2. 1/4" toe out on the skis
3. Geo mod - basically move the slide block back 1.5" on the rails

A little more money, but WELL worth it

3. Holz revavled skid with new middle spring set as suggested by Holz.
4. Holz or '06 M7 revalved front shocks
5. A new track! :D the A20 is pile unless you are in bottomless, in which case its the best track ever made!!!

Total cost for all this is gonna be about $460 w/o the track, but will make your M sled a lot more livable. With this setup on my old otherwise stock M7 i could pull 90mph+ on the trail and take big hits and never get pitched around. It was awsome! Working on dialing in my new 900 now, shocks are all up at Holz as i type! :face-icon-small-ton

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
ha ha! SEEYACOP is my riding buddy- and he meant toed out a 1/4" up to a 1/2" :)

Get back to work dude! :p

M
Nov 29, 2007
Goodrich, ND
Put in new A-arm bushings if they are wore, Straighten the A-20, and get rid of the stock skis and put either powder pro's or simmons on it. I prefer the PP's, but the simmons are great too. The stock skis suck, they dart like crazy.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Put in new A-arm bushings if they are wore, Straighten the A-20, and get rid of the stock skis and put either powder pro's or simmons on it. I prefer the PP's, but the simmons are great too. The stock skis suck, they dart like crazy.

I'm not gonna argue with you, but the stock skis aren't that bad, they track fine if everthing else is OK per my list of above. That being said, i prefer the Powder Pros as the best all around ski and have them on my new sled. Simmons are great on the trail, but i don't think they sidehill well. I've had them all too, so this speaking from real experience.

D

dre

Jan 25, 2008
Portland OR
vimeo.com
Many thanks for all the info. This helps a lot.

mrquick68: What exactly is the GEO mod? Are there instructions to do this somewhere online?
By "1/4" toe out on the skis" you mean 1/4 wider at the front right?
How long did it take Holz to re-valve your shocks?

m7freak: yeah, now that you mention it, the front a-arms bushings are shot. Is there an upgrade part you used to replace the bushings?

Anyone: Any track suggestions? I'm thinking Camoplast Challenger 153 x 15 x 2.25....is it worth cutting the hook of the end of my existing track paddles?

Thanks again. Dre

D

dre

Jan 25, 2008
Portland OR
vimeo.com
So far all the advice here is working out great. The sled is handling much better. All the small mods add up to something significant. I put a new track on & that made the biggest difference. Went with a camo challenger maverick 153x15x2.25. Tracking/stability , traction & braking all improved. Next on the list is powder pro skis. Put em on my rmk & noticed significant improvement in cornering, sidehilling & float.
Dre

M
Nov 26, 2007
Newfoundland
I think my 06 M rides decent on trails. I stay ahead of F7s and XFs on the trails. Requires a little more effort but thats half the fun. Stock 141 challenger track and Powderhounds and the sled is fine.

M

MNsnwdrift

Jan 27, 2008
Would a M series sno pro be much diferent ( better or worse ) than a standard on trails ???
Thanks

D

dre

Jan 25, 2008
Portland OR
vimeo.com
Just to be clear to all the potential haters out there...I never asked for advice to turn my M6 into a trail sled. I asked for advice to improve the handling problems which were most obvious on the trail. I now have most of those problems resolved to a point where I'm having more fun on the sled & it's safer. Are the old M-sleds great trail sleds. No. Can you make them better. Yes - without detriment to deep snow & mtn performance.
Thanks again for the advice.
Dre

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
a arm bushings

you can go to your local cat dealer and get 08 bushings for the front end that replace the nylon ones.

Premium Features