• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Supercharged Phazer odd boost issue

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
MPI Supercharged Phazer after sitting for a long time will boost to 9lbs for one or two time hammering throttle. Then it goes to 3lbs boost for rest of the day. Have checked everything I can think of, wondering if fuel pressure regulator might be the issue even though sled has a little over 300 miles on it. Can low fuel pressure cause this? I thought a supercharger would boost no matter what the amount of fuel was? Thoughts?

P.S. dual GEMS controllers (stock):face-icon-small-dis

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Hey stingray after we talked about fuel pressure issue I remember that my AFR gauge was running right around 12-13 all the time so I don't think I have a fuel pressure problem. I would recommend that you install one that will tell you if you are running out of fuel which would cause it to go lean.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Sounds like an issue with the blowoff valve to me. If it is getting stuck open or the spring is weak then it won't hold enough pressure.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Hey stingray after we talked about fuel pressure issue I remember that my AFR gauge was running right around 12-13 all the time so I don't think I have a fuel pressure problem. I would recommend that you install one that will tell you if you are running out of fuel which would cause it to go lean.

Not sure I trust my AFR guage as it says 15-16 all the time no matter if I turn GEMS up so far it bogs from being rich.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Sounds like an issue with the blowoff valve to me. If it is getting stuck open or the spring is weak then it won't hold enough pressure.

MPI supercharger doesn't come with a blow off valve....that was my first thought though.

Called MPI and the tech I talked to did not have an answer. Very odd that when cold it hits 9 pounds boost and is a rocket but after a couple runs drops to 3 pounds and stays. Checked all charge hoses too.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

After talking to Matt at MPI I think I may have a crack in my airbox. Does your Phazer make a blow off valve sound? (even though they didn't come with one) Mine makes a sound just like the blow off valve in my turbo truck does and it didn't come with a blow off valve.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Does your Phazer make a blow off valve sound? (even though they didn't come with one) Mine makes a sound just like the blow off valve in my turbo truck does and it didn't come with a blow off valve.

yes mine does that. If your AFR doesnt seem to move i would replace the sensor. If you are running race or AV gas it kills them pretty fast.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Could be the intercooler also i would lean more toward this since this see's the heat from the boost first and the heat would open up a crack. Also the mounting on the intercooler is not very good so one may have ripped and hole in it or something.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Can definately feel the diff between 3lbs and 9lbs on guage. When it hits 9lbs it is a match for an 800 sled in a drag race.

Off subject but this is 100% true. My turbo phazer at 12psi would out run all of the late model 800 2s sleds. It was a heart breaker for sure. Hope you get your issue figured out.

S
Jan 2, 2010
MPI Supercharged Phazer after sitting for a long time will boost to 9lbs for one or two time hammering throttle. Then it goes to 3lbs boost for rest of the day. Have checked everything I can think of, wondering if fuel pressure regulator might be the issue even though sled has a little over 300 miles on it. Can low fuel pressure cause this? I thought a supercharger would boost no matter what the amount of fuel was? Thoughts?

P.S. dual GEMS controllers (stock):face-icon-small-dis
I had one couple years ago- check your intake boots, had to recamp mine once.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
ANOTHER PULLEY WENT BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say another because I had one go boom on my supercharged Nytro with 1800 miles and now this one on a Phazer with 435 miles. Very strange that it would slip enough to lower boost but not blow until 127 miles later?

MATT, this heating new pulley in an oven to install really doesn't give me warm fuzzies either. Did MPI ever come up with a better solution to the pullies?

Now I have to accept some of the blame here as I knew these pullies could have issues if not installed in a very odd way, but this one was built by a dealer in Utah so I assumed all was well as the sled had less than 300 miles when I got it. So, my bad for not checking the pullies out.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I diagnosed a nytro with the same issue, it would be fine at the start but a couple hard pulls and that pully would give and slip once it slips it then gives out way easier till it cools down and develops an interference fit again. Heating up the pulley then slipping on the shaft is a good way to do it, I deal with heating and freezing bearings and races to slip on for an interference fit when rebuilding power trains for large dozers and huge mining haul trucks.

When you replace the pulley your gonna need a new shaft as well to get the proper fit, your old shaft has been spun and will most likely happen again if you don't have a new matching shaft and pulley. Also depending on how tight that interference is, you have about 5 seconds to get that pulley from the oven to being seated properly on the shaft

Premium Features