• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idle rpm drop after WOT

T
Dec 7, 2012
Hey guys. I installed the Fix kit from MTNTK a little while ago, and am very happy with results so far. The only gripe I have is that when I am WOT especially, then cut the throttle suddenly (like when I am trying to get unstuck for example), the idle goes down to 1400 rpm or sometimes lower. It seems to come back up to normal after a while, or after giving it a little throttle. It is the same thing it was doing before the rebuild. I am still breaking it in, so I am hoping it is just that? I am not that worried to be honest, however, if it is a genuine problem that needs fixing, I would rather fix it now than later. Thanks in advance.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Hey guys. I installed the Fix kit from MTNTK a little while ago, and am very happy with results so far. The only gripe I have is that when I am WOT especially, then cut the throttle suddenly (like when I am trying to get unstuck for example), the idle goes down to 1400 rpm or sometimes lower. It seems to come back up to normal after a while, or after giving it a little throttle. It is the same thing it was doing before the rebuild. I am still breaking it in, so I am hoping it is just that? I am not that worried to be honest, however, if it is a genuine problem that needs fixing, I would rather fix it now than later. Thanks in advance.

Check:
1) Throttle cable free play, possibly too loose
2) Wires and/or solenoid controlling the exhaust valves ( you can take a small pair of vice grips and pich off the 1/4" rubber line between the "T" and the solenoid and try running the sled to diagnose the problem
3) Fuel filter

T
Dec 7, 2012
I have the exhaust valves disconnected already, and replaced the fuel filter recently. Thanks for the tips, and I will make sure the free play is up to spec. However I can't see that being the problem since the idle comes back on it's own, and is up to spec the rest of the time.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Mine does the exact same thing, I thought it was going down again. After a compression check it showed 130 in each cylinder. I adjusted my free play as well as changed the fuel filter. It just started doing it. I have about 350 miles on the rebuild. Not really sure what it is.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

T
Dec 7, 2012
The explanation I got from the manila sucked. I am guessing that I open the throttle normally until it starts to pull the cable and take my measurement then correct? Thanks for the help

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Yeah, let me know if you figure it out and I'll do the same. Mine only idles at about 1600 anyway so when it does drop the rpm's it barely stays running. Its kind of frustrating.

T
Dec 7, 2012
Yeah I sure will. I just tried resetting the free play and it did nothing. I'll change spark plugs next I think and see what happens. I'll probably try phoning PMS who is the main distributor of the Fix Kit and see what they say.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I was thinking mine might be out too. Make sure the dealer does it right. Not with the digital wrench. Make sure they check the base setting too. I took mine in and they just set the idle screw without checking the base setting. I'm sure its off

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I was thinking mine might be out too. Make sure the dealer does it right. Not with the digital wrench. Make sure they check the base setting too. I took mine in and they just set the idle screw without checking the base setting. I'm sure its off

Friggin' dealers..........

T
Dec 7, 2012
Yeah I was just talking to the dealer and he said I need the digital wrench computer program to set it. I am skeptical In my service manual it says I can either use the other tool or the digital wrench. wtf Can I not set it myself?

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
A guy makes the tool and sells them on Ebay. Search for TPS setting tool. I'll see if I can find it too, I just bought one last week. You just need an ohm meter.

Premium Features