• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PU a 2008 SP M1000 - 153"

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
So - I just picked up a 2008 SP M1000 - 153" hold over for a very good price. Headin' to Whistler on Thursday morning for the Big Dawg Shootout.

Now what? i've got a bucket parts a mile deep and two miles across of "M" parts, but only a limited amount of time before i go.

Tonight i'll finish putting my Boss seat on, do a 3" riser, toss the windshield, and then the Geo mod and correct air pressure in the shocks (55psi up front, 90psi out back??).

I also will be putting on my scratchers and pullin the boggies. I'd like to put my 156" CE on before i go, but won't have the right socket in time. No worries though, the 153" will work fine for this weekend.

Also of note, i pulled my secondary and belt and washed them all in hot soapy water as well as the primary. Currently clutching is STOCK, with 83g arms in the primary, Ti springs, and the straight 36, runing the 060 belt, though i'm bringing the 046 along too. Also, there was NO shims behind the secondary, so added one just to keep the clutch off the bearing. OK? Will be checking the alignment the first time i ride.

Before i leave this week, should i do anything else? Here's what i have in the parts bin:

44/41-37 full 10.4" clutch with shift assist and the orange spring. This worked well on my M7 with twins, any good on the 1000? How about the stock weights? 83g's OK?

Any other words of advice would be great to i can start heading in the write direction.

Thanks!

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
:)

Don't do the Geo mod , it seemed to hurt my climbing ability and the track rubbed hard on the tunnel (2 1/2" lugs). I am running 125lbs in my rear float. Take the shim back out and run the secondary all the way in (still isn't far enough). Put some simmons genII on it to help float that front end (it will need it)...................amd don't get mad when seeyacop still beats ya :)

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
So, its OK to run no shim at all between the clutch and the diamond drive?

As for SEEYACOP beating me, with the sled stock i could see that happening, but not with a pipe. I've been running with a few M1000s with singles this year and even on SEEYACOPs best running days the M1K goes right by. I haven't seen anything come close to climbing with the 1000 in the same length track. True story - his 800 runs hard, but its no match in the steep and deep for the 1000. Probably what's pushed over the edge into buying one. On top of that, no finicky twins to deal with. Just pull and go power everytime. We ride lower here, so maybe that's part of it?

R
Nov 29, 2007
I agree, dont do the geo mod, it sucks, and a ski replacement is almost required. ditch the 060 belt, make sure your toe in is set and I will P.M. you a cool airbox mod

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Clutching works pretty good at altitude with the 046 belt... My sled is stock other than venting... 046 from 7-10,000 holds 7500 down low and 7400 all day up high.
I haven't done the geo mod yet, but take your pump and experiment with pressures... A small amount makes a big difference.
I run about 65psi In the left shock and 58 in the right.
About 95-105 in the rear, and I also tightened the front shock some but limiters still go loose under sled weight (soft spring).
Too much air in the rear of the skid and you will not have any transfer.
Ski alignment is a must as mine was toed in and handled like crap until I set it at about 1/4 toe out.
Check A-arm bolts after first coulple of rides... Mine were not loose, but I got a 1/4 to half turn after riding it a few times.

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
Don't waste your money on a D&D pipe- I've been struggling w/mine all year and finally decided to ditch it! It runs waay too hot and the pipe temp sensor mount broke. Didn't increase rpm from stock-you'd think 20+ hp would! Inconsistent power band too, seems to lose substantial power after a few minutes of hard running, again too hot. Just my 2 cents...

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Good info - thanks!

Any more would be great!

Quick question on the shocks and air pressure though - do you set the pressure with the sleds weight on it or with no weight?

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
No weight

Both are very sensitive... Too little in the front and it dips in a turn... Too much and it rides like a stiff board.
In the rear... Set soft with some sag and if you bottom work your way back up.

Premium Features