• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m series skids best year for climbing???

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
I have an 05 skid that is extended to 174" and with some tweeking has been great for climbing, not so good on trails though.

My bud rides an 06 skid in 163" and it actually seems to handle the whoops better but doesn't climb any better.

I have an 08 skid with fox floats and 07 rails sitting in my shop that I was thinking about puting on but have heard of trenching problems with this setup?

And don't know anything about the 07 skids to know if they are any different.

Out of all the OEM skids, which is going to be the best for climbing ? trail riding ? etc.

I know there are guys out there with experience in comparing these so could you please share with me and other inquiring minds.

Thank,
MX

I
Nov 28, 2007
Orem, Utah
In my experience, the 08 skid is the way to go. Its handles very well and keeps the nose down on my boosted m1000. I have a Timbersled rear end and an ez-ryde sitting in the shop brand new, because i see no reason to change the 08 suspensions out. It works so much better than 07 and previous, its not even close....

E
Nov 26, 2007
I have an 05, changed out to timbersled, Now I am trying to get used to the fact that the nose stays down, cause with the stock 05 skid, you could wheelie it over backwards on a hill, I liked, or was used to, how the front end was up in the air so much

R

ridehard1212

Nov 26, 2007
LANGLEY BC
Why Dont U Just Adjust Ur Timbersled To A Happy Medium. My Fabcraft Will Hug My Rev To The Ground And Imo Makes The Front End Of A Under 400lb Machine Seem Heavy, But If You Adjust Your Limiters A Notch At A Time Untill U Get It Where You Want It Having The Skis Down Is Really Nice,(but U Need Just A Bit Of Lift.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I do like my 2006 M7 162 LE with the Titanium Springs, pretty darn light and climbs very well.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Why Dont U Just Adjust Ur Timbersled To A Happy Medium. My Fabcraft Will Hug My Rev To The Ground And Imo Makes The Front End Of A Under 400lb Machine Seem Heavy, But If You Adjust Your Limiters A Notch At A Time Untill U Get It Where You Want It Having The Skis Down Is Really Nice,(but U Need Just A Bit Of Lift.
I am still trying to get it fine tuned

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
I am looking for a new set-up. I found some cracks in the 06 M-7 rails.

I have heard the 08's work great. I think it's what I buying for next year, if the price is right..

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Elkhorn,

I'm with you on that I like the lift of my front end, but is that just limiters on the 08 skids or is the transfer completely different?

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Go ride it as it is leaps and bounds ahead of the 07 skid, and transfers much like the 05.
The trenching is coming from the track. It will jump on top of the snow, but starts to trench once your momentum slows down. If you've got an a-20 laying around (I had 2 at one point) I'd straighten it and throw that at it, or wait for the powderclaw for similar results.

Premium Features