• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Common radio channels to use in case of emergency

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
With all of the lost, stranded sledders lately, I have been thinking of safety precautions. I would like to know what would be a good channel to use on the
2 way that would make my chances of contacting someone better. Cell phone service is spotty in some of the better riding areas, but I always carry one anyways.

From now on I plan on telling the wife where I'll be, what radio channel I am on and I will have my GPS so I can relay exact coordinates. I just wanna know what a good channel would be, chatter won't bother me so much if there is a chance that someone will hear an SOS call.

Thanks

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
Most things I've read say to use channel 1 for emergency use. On snowest rides, most groups use 7 for general chat and split off from there if in individual groups.

Don't know if there is any convention like channel 9 on CB's.

Edit: Looks like no official channel due to privacy sub-channels and basic limitations of range that would limit monitoring. Still, If I'm in trouble, I'm going to be on 1-0 if I have to choose. I will also carry cell phone to text coordinates if possible and unless something extrordinary happens, I will stay with my sled. It seems they always find the sleds first.

Last edited:
R
Nov 28, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
With all the issues lately (and the fact that my cell phone service completely blows up at RE now...) I'm going to dust off the HAM radio license and get a quad band hand held for emergency use. Good insurance IMO - not overly tough to get a license either.

I've had mixed results with 2 way radios - terrain challenges can be tough to overcome.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
heh, I just stopped by HRO today to pick up an antenna. I25 to Evans, evans east past the bend, then look for the 3-element yagi on the left :p

Personally I have the FT60R. Rock solid, aluminum chassis (Same as their business/emg radios), uses the same battery as their business/emg radios... battery lasts for-fuggin-ever. Easily modifiable to give you super-huge TX range that includes FRS/GMRS/MURS/Business/emg/weather. Keep in mind you'll need a GMRS license to use the FRS freqs since you're not on type-certified equipment. But it is one rockin' radio.

I still want the on my sled though :D

73 de K7AIH

Last edited:
J

jp@weknowsnow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado/Wyoming
weknowsnow.com
nice, i will check that radio out. i used to have a kenwood th22 ( i think ).... got a vx7r for xmas from the parents. havent done HAM stuff for 10+ yrs... got my tech class when i was 14. KB0TSL

Last edited:
Premium Features