• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 clutching advice for m8000

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Currently running stock clutch set up when riding out west. I have a bikeman floating belt deflection set up on the secondary. Have never had belt issues. I bought a low elevation kit for riding in Michigan which consists of 75 gram weights and a different helix. My question is if I put a kit in with adjustable weights, springs and helix can I just alter the weight in the primary and use the same springs and helix whether I am riding up to 10k or at sea level? I also want to get rid of my Bikeman can, it is stupid loud. Looking at Diamond S or Skinz ultra Q can. Is the skinz can as quiet as the Diamond S? Regarding the clutching, it's not a big deal to switch back and forth for elevation, was just curious if the kits with adjustable weights work for all elevations. Was looking at buying the bikeman clutch kit unless you guys can recommend something better. I want the sled to perform at it's best when riding out west. Rarely ride it in michigan, so that part is not as important to me. Other mods on sled are barcode front end and gripper skis. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Woah, there are a lot of questions there Mr. Castforcash. I am trying to figure out where to start. I too have a 2015 M8000 153" x 3" and ride from 4-7,000 feet most of the time. Asking for or clutching options are kind of like asking what's the best injection oil. Everyone has an opinion.

All I can tell you is what works for me. I am using MDS clutch weights and a Speedwerks Blue/white 120/310 primary spring or a Polaris 120/340 spring. With the MDS weights the stock 36 degree helix works great with either the stock orange spring or a Speedwerx secondary spring. The Speedwerx springs give a better backshift. Call the MDS weight phone number and he will give you a great initial setup.

As far as silencers go. I have a SLP single pipe kit and like it but, I honestly haven't compared it to anything else to be able to say it's any better than anything else.

I hope this helps.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks for your reply. I guess I should've simplified it a little more. Main question is can I use the stock 36° helix and just adjust the primary weights according to the elevation I am riding. I was led to believe that I needed to swap out the helix when running low elevation here in Michigan with 75 grams in the primary. Springs are stock cat springs for 6-9k elevation. I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow to get a better idea on what direction to go with the clutching. It's kind of a pain in the ass to swap out the helix.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
If I feel I have to ride the flatlands, I just put more weight in the primary. Will it perform at obtimum efficiency? No it won't. But it's good enough to ride. Won't up shift real good and you won't win any drag races, but it will work just fine to ride. I am more concerned on having it spot on when I go to the mountains.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
I’ve always just left mountain clutching in which from factory is 6-9k. It over revs to 8350-8400 but runs fine for flatlands for me. Then in mountains it runs 8150 solid. Unless your racing few hundred extra probably won’t notice for most conditions

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks for the responses. I called MDS and talked with Steve. Ordered his weights and spring. He recommended a HPS can, so I ordered that as well.

R
Dec 9, 2007
Had an HPS can for two rides, could not take the sound pressure level and sold it. Stock suitcase is way too heavy but tolerable noise, I'd like quieter and lighter than stock.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Had an HPS can for two rides, could not take the sound pressure level and sold it. Stock suitcase is way too heavy but tolerable noise, I'd like quieter and lighter than stock.

I was led to believe this was one of the quiter cans!?! The Bikeman can I had on it was way too obnoxious! I surely hope I didn't just waste more money......

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Finally got everything installed. Haven't had a chance to ride yet, so I can't comment on any performance gains or issues. However, the HPS can is WAY quieter than the Bikeman I had, so I am happy with that as long as it performs well. Riding tomorrow so will report back with my thoughts.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
What is the stock cam weight from cat for 6-9000ft?

Im pretty sure the stock setup on my 15 was:

70gr primary with yellow spring

36* helix with blackspri g with blue mark on it

Whats setup is that for?

Last edited:

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Mine stock was set up with same springs, but 68g weights. I am now using mds weights 73g and a polaris spring in the primary. Secondary is stock. This is the setup recommended by Steve at MDS using his weights. This is with a SSI Y pipe and a HPS can. Heading to Wyoming March 1st so I will have more to report once I ride it at elevation. I was running a Carlisle ultimax belt instead of the stock 84 belt. Steve recommended an 83 belt, so that's what I am going to run next week.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Also would like to add that the HPS can is day and night better than the Bikeman powderlite I had on it. The HPS is better in every aspect, way less obnoxious sound wise, barely louder than stock.

Premium Features