• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled ski spindle installation issues, Help?

T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015
So maybe I'm just dumb but I'm having an issue installing my timbersled ski spindle(plan on calling timbersled in the morning but figured someone here might know). Issue is I cannot install either inside side fork clamp half with forcing them in and in turn bowing the fork legs out and causing binding in the fork bushings. I have the correct fork axle spacers, but honestly doesnt matter because either way Ill have to push both lower tubes outward(forcefully) to get either inner clamp half on. Am I missing something? Pictures below. The more I look at it I think the ears at the top of the spindle have been bent outward(kit is used). Any thoughts anyone seen a spindle bent that way?

Last edited:
C

cade123

Jan 23, 2015
My last timbersled kit that I bought used the spindle was bend a bit and I could not fit the fork clamps in. So I used a mallet and bent it back seemed to work. Could be your issue.

T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015
My last timbersled kit that I bought used the spindle was bend a bit and I could not fit the fork clamps in. So I used a mallet and bent it back seemed to work. Could be your issue.

I think your right. I massaged the spindle till I was able to get it on without pushing the forks out of alignment or at least really close, though had to grind the center rod down to get it in, also had to grind the spacers for the top of the strut rod.

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
I think your right. I massaged the spindle till I was able to get it on without pushing the forks out of alignment or at least really close, though had to grind the center rod down to get it in, also had to grind the spacers for the top of the strut rod.

Measure the distance between the fork tube and spindle where it mounts then do the math and have a machine shop take some material off. I took about .050" off each side of mine to get it to fit right. If you just force it in your forks won't be parallel, same issue as when people don't know how to properly install a front wheel.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
This is part of the reason I'm going to go with someone else's spindle next year even if I'm still on my TS kit. You shouldn't have to massage or take material off spacers. If I bought the right spacers they should work. I had to beat on the ears of mine to get it to fit too, yes it was used but still. I'll be going with the MotoTrax with my TS ski, its got a piece that is meant to fail and not destroy your forks or the spindle. Also the piece is cheap and not large so you could carry an extra.

T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015
I definitely wasnt impressed, I wont hold too much agaisnt timbersled as it might have been mainly an issue with the used spindle. This was a brand new 16 fit kit and when the upper strut rod spacers wouldnt slide into the frame I was even more peeved. Only had to take off a hair but still pretty silly I feel.

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Misfit

I had to file my clamp and brake mount in order to get my clamp to sit low enough to match up with the holes in the spindle. I guess mass producing fit kits harder to do than we know?

Premium Features