• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 KTM 450 SX vs XCF XCW or 500

I

ikold

Dec 2, 2007
It's hard for me to tell the difference between all the models ktm has.

I'm going to build a LT Timbersled for this winter. Want to get a dirtbike that is good for Colorado singletrack and mountain technical riding in the summer/fall but is also a good Snowbike. What do folks recommend? I liked the 450 because its all new for 16 and makes the same horsepower as the 500. Some say it's real twitchy though on single track. What is difference between XCF and XCW in the 2016 450.

Those in the know what would you recommend?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The 500 is a better bike for aggressive single track despite the larger engine size. the power is much more controllable and the wide ratio tranny mellows it out. Unless you are a very good/aggressive rider, the 450 is a bit much to pull the reigns on for an average guy in tight single track. Now if you like sandpits, hillclimbs, etc...you can throw that all out the window. The 450xc-f is the better snowbike and the 500 is the better woods bike...unless you're an expert level rider.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The only KTM 450 that is "all new" for 2016 is the sxf or xcf. Both make for excellent snow bikes, but not very good single track/mountain trail bikes in stock form (shock set up, gearing, engine tune, etc) . I would say the 16' 450 sxf/xcf is probably out of the question anyway because I would be surprised if you can find a dealer that has one available. KTM in thier wisdom decided to produce fewer 450's this year than last year.

Read through this thread, and then ask questions it doesn't answer.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402423

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Both will do fine. I've got a 450xcf with suspension setup for woods/snoebike, rekluse, bigger stator, flywheel weight & cyclops headlight. I love this bike in the woods. Haven't had the chance on snow yet. Buddy has a 500xcw. If my bike doesn't do better in snow then his 500 I'd go for the 500 for both.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
if you want to do both, get a 500. the 450 sxf/xcf is a f'ing handful on single track. I don't care how great of a rider you are, its just not fun. even with a rekluse its just scary fast and not geared well for that type of riding. the 500 is not the best snowbike, but its still damn good. you should be happy with double duty a 500, or a Husky 501 (I'd do the Husky personally, as i like linkage suspension).

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Nobody here has really gone over the perfect solution. Buy a 450SXF/XCF for the snow and leave the track on year-round. Buy a 300xcw smoker for the dirt and leave the tires on year-round. Cry when you look at your bank account but jump for joy every day you get to go riding cause you have the perfect machine for each situation!

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Nobody here has really gone over the perfect solution. Buy a 450SXF/XCF for the snow and leave the track on year-round. Buy a 300xcw smoker for the dirt and leave the tires on year-round. Cry when you look at your bank account but jump for joy every day you get to go riding cause you have the perfect machine for each situation!

this is the true solution and exactly where i ended up too. As noted below, and above - the 500 can be made to do it all and switch back and forth pretty easily.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

X2, but what to you do for a track bike? Guess you need three bikes.?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Personally if we are strictly talking snowbike I would get a 2016 KTM sxf/xcf 450 or husky FC450 "IF" I could find one. Second choice would be the husky 501. Seems like the KTM/husky 500 is a love or hate snow bike, personally I loved it. It's got a headlight, six speed (really nice on trails) tons of torque, bigger tank and stator enough for hand warmers. Also it's a great single track bike

Premium Features