• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS weights

sniper

Premium Member
Feb 1, 2010
Washington
frostbite,
Steve told me to use the polaris Blk with 120-340 but haven't gotten to try it yet. Let me know if you try the Speedwerx 125-340, always used Speedwerx stuff in the past and liked it.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Just a quick update. We are sold out of MDS weights for approximately 10 days. I am taking orders and will fill as quick as we can. Steve is working on this, and we will update on the forum when they are available.

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
When I put my weights in I used a 5/32 drill bit on the pins to widen and deepen the divit for the set screw just slightly, fit much better.These weights are the best bang for the buck out there very impressive

Sense day one I have had issues with my set screws staying tight. Always used the blue removable loctite for cat weights with no issues but it didnt work with the MDS. So yesturday tried the Red Permenant loctite and they still came loose after only 25 miles. Today I did the same....drilled out the divit on the pins with a 5/32 bit. Steve mentioned that I may have to do this after telling him I was having a few issues with the screws not staying tight. I hope this is the fix. I love the weights but checking the set screws is a pain every 30 minutes or so.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Without drilling them you have to rock the pin/bolt back and forth as you tighten the set screw, I would recommend drilling so you can tell when its set.

azzkicker

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
mds

Sense day one I have had issues with my set screws staying tight. Always used the blue removable loctite for cat weights with no issues but it didnt work with the MDS. So yesturday tried the Red Permenant loctite and they still came loose after only 25 miles. Today I did the same....drilled out the divit on the pins with a 5/32 bit. Steve mentioned that I may have to do this after telling him I was having a few issues with the screws not staying tight. I hope this is the fix. I love the weights but checking the set screws is a pain every 30 minutes or so.
clean real good w/acetone or lacquer thinner the screw and weight use loctite not permatex high strength with the divit drilled let it dry over night and that should be the end of the problem.

W

Wadeh

Nov 8, 2010
Who is the best guy to talk with about getting a set of these weights and the correct setup?

I have a new to me this year M7 that has been ported with a head. On steep sidehills and climbs it only pulls 7680 rpm. It has 67 gram weights now with the stock spring and a maroon secondary, d&d maybe? I live in Colorado and ride 9,000 - 12,000.

Thanks, These weights look like the ticket!

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
m1000 mds

I ride 6000-10000 feet, I have tried the 120-340, polaris spring steve sent me with 88.6g's weights. I have also tried the stock y/w 122-285 and a ac gold 75-275 w/.080 shim. I havent changed the weight at all. The secondary is stock, and motor mounts are new 2010 mounts with 2010 offset. 120-340 had good back shift but lacked on drive, mostly while just trail crusing, but I felt it could drive harder in a climb as well. Changed back to the stock y/w, and drive was over the top good, good backshift, terrible engaugement. Now with the gold and .080 shim. Awesome engaugement, but wouldnt go any lower, good drive and okay back shift ,but not like the y/w in my opinion it almost feels like I need a little more finish rate. Im thinking about shiming some more but conserned about getting too much of a shimpack. I guess I would probably go another .030! but that is pushing almost 1/8 of an inch. will this spring bind? The gold is fairly short to start with!

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
I ride 6000-10000 feet, I have tried the 120-340, polaris spring steve sent me with 88.6g's weights. I have also tried the stock y/w 122-285 and a ac gold 75-275 w/.080 shim. I havent changed the weight at all. The secondary is stock, and motor mounts are new 2010 mounts with 2010 offset. 120-340 had good back shift but lacked on drive, mostly while just trail crusing, but I felt it could drive harder in a climb as well. Changed back to the stock y/w, and drive was over the top good, good backshift, terrible engaugement. Now with the gold and .080 shim. Awesome engaugement, but wouldnt go any lower, good drive and okay back shift ,but not like the y/w in my opinion it almost feels like I need a little more finish rate. Im thinking about shiming some more but conserned about getting too much of a shimpack. I guess I would probably go another .030! but that is pushing almost 1/8 of an inch. will this spring bind? The gold is fairly short to start with!

Scoop...what sled do u run?

Looks like drilling out the Pin with a 5/32 bit has solved my issues so far. Got about 50 Miles on and weigths are still tight as can be :)

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Hey are you guys just countersinking the threaded hole in the weight with the 5/32 so it looks like a stock weight?

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I am putting mine on here shortly and I must be confused, is the MDS set screw larger than the stock one?

P

Powder Buster

Feb 3, 2009
The backshift on my M8 was horrible on my last ride with the MDS weights, so I just checked the weights and 2 of the 3 were very loose. I'm hoping that is all the problem was, and I'll be drilling them out to avoid any further problems. Glad the weights didn't seem to get damaged at all.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
first impression, I LOVE THESE WEIGHTS!!!!! there is a little hill right outside my shop that i go over every time i leave the shop. normally i pull the skis 3 feet put the weights in and i drug the bumper! wasnt expecting that. and i noticed (i fether the throttle a lot) that the power comes RIGHT NOW. im a believer after 2 miles.

Racinstation had my weights set up perfect, i pull 8grand, i may drop one more washer to see what it does at a little higher rpm. But thank you racinstation!

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
The backshift on my M8 was horrible on my last ride with the MDS weights, so I just checked the weights and 2 of the 3 were very loose. I'm hoping that is all the problem was, and I'll be drilling them out to avoid any further problems. Glad the weights didn't seem to get damaged at all.

sounds like your having the same issues i had. verytime my weights got loose they would bind on the underside of the spider and I would loose backshift. drill those pins out so that the set screw sits flush when it tightens down the weight on the pin. u will be set!!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
What primary springs are you guys using?

Do you plan to try a differnt spring or just tailor the clutch weights to your spring?

Completely stock secondary?

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
What primary springs are you guys using?

Do you plan to try a differnt spring or just tailor the clutch weights to your spring?

Completely stock secondary?

stock secondary and I am working with the purple cat pri spring...Steve recomends it for my riding so I am going to do what he wants me too.

Premium Features