• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seondary spring alternative.

L
Jan 22, 2008
i was just at my local cat dealer and they trying to sell me a platinum cat spring. they told me it was what all the locals run in their m7s and m8s but the wierd thing is that if they call cat and ask for it they say it dosent exist, but the dealer has one in a cat oem plastic bag. has anyone on here run this mystery spring?

D
Nov 28, 2007
i was just at my local cat dealer and they trying to sell me a platinum cat spring. they told me it was what all the locals run in their m7s and m8s but the wierd thing is that if they call cat and ask for it they say it dosent exist, but the dealer has one in a cat oem plastic bag. has anyone on here run this mystery spring?

IT will be 0648-662 old 2004 T660 spring. I have an extra one you can have for $15 bucks plus shipping.

i beleive mine is close ended. what is considered open ended?

It will work in the close ended helix just need a really long bolt and some big washers to crank it all in. You can put the helix into the fixed sheave first then slide on the inner sheave after you have it together then pop on the ring. In your case you may not have a gold ring but a thin washer.

NOTE: picture. YOu can see the carriage bolt holding this clutch together. I would get a big bolt like 18"s with hex head.

will this spring allow full shift in secondary with closed end helixes?

Just about but the primary is really what is holding full shift back.

Don.

goldring.jpg

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
So, what is the rating on this spring, or, what are the heights that those numbers are taken from (I can convert to AC numbers if I have the heights). Wondering about running it with the 46-36P...

T

trencher

Nov 28, 2007
Missoula
If i had all the spring i could measrure them all at the same. preload & fully collapsed compresion.All you need is a valve spring tention tester. My question of the day would a 48-40p work well in my 1000 with goodwins blue white spring. With 80gr & a 125-280 primary spring.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Does anyone have an update on this topic?

I have my Skidoo spring in the shop and I'm wondering if will do any better than the Fett Brothers spring I have in there now in the steep and deep?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have mine too but, I haven't installed it just yet.

I'm trying to figure out what to expect when changing from the Fett Brother's spring to the Doo spring.

D

Dale Hastings

Mar 29, 2008
not mine

I don't know about open end closed end. but that doo spring won't fit in an 09 m1000 driven clutch. ID is to small.

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
I put one in my 09 M1 yesterday and rode it all day today. Unbelieveable, it's the best this sled has run yet! It was tight but it fit, along with a shift assist. Backshift is superfast and never dropped off 7400 R's all day.

D
Nov 28, 2007
I don't know about open end closed end. but that doo spring won't fit in an 09 m1000 driven clutch. ID is to small.

Seems to fit fine in ours. The shift assist helps for more up shift. Best spring over stock yet.

It may be called Purple/purple or black from doo. Goodwin calls it Pl/Pl.

Don.

P.S. the ID is the same as the cat white in 05 was.

gongshowm1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Quesnel BC
ski-doo spring

the ski-doo spring is a purple purple, 225-303, just bought one the other day, installed it in my secondary today, didnt have a problem with instalation, it is a little smaller on the outside diameter, will be trying it out next weekend, installed on a 2010 m8 secondary.

D

Dale Hastings

Mar 29, 2008
Seems to fit fine in ours. The shift assist helps for more up shift. Best spring over stock yet.

It may be called Purple/purple or black from doo. Goodwin calls it Pl/Pl.

Don.

P.S. the ID is the same as the cat white in 05 was.

Imabelieven ya. The doo place in spokane some how toasted me. The spring they sold me has 417127062 on the bag. It is black with two small purple marks about an inch apart. free length is 6 1/16". ID is 2.000. the stock orange is about 5 5/8 free length (used) ID is 2.120. used white of an 05 m7 measured 4 1/8 free length. ID is 2.125. Think i'm headin back to the doo dealer with A WTF attitude

D

Dale Hastings

Mar 29, 2008
itchin to try it

The spring the doo place sold me worked fine on the shift assist side. the OD in the spring cup of the helix is my don't fit spot. Any how I,m taking It back. hopefully they get me the same spring you guys are trying this time. When this happens, my question is are you guys still using the two black plastic spacers with this spring ?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Guys, I need some help.

I have the stock orange secondary spring and the Fett Brothers Green/White spring that both fit nicely over the center hub of the stock and BDX helixes.

The Skidoo Purple/Purple and the Straight Line Performance Silver springs aren't even close to fitting over the center hub of either the stock or BDX helixes. The center hub has a larger outside diameter than the inside diameter of either spring.

One gentleman suggested using a 2 1/8" hole saw to trim the outside diameter of the center hub so these springs will fit. I was thinking of having someone chuck the helix up in their lathe and remove just enough material to allow the springs to fit over the center hub.

What are you guys doing to get these springs to fit over the center hub of the 09and 2010 helixes?

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
Frostbite, I know what you mean... I have a BDX helix that I had to work the ski-doo spring into.. If you CRANK (in a turning motion) the spring into the helix counter clockwise it will spread slightly and give you enough room to get it to bottom out. Obviously this spring is in the helix very tight so I guess thats where the shift assist come in handy to keep it from binding too much. Three rides on the ski-doo spring so far and love it.......

D

Dale Hastings

Mar 29, 2008
appears frosty has the same problem I do.

I put one in my 09 M1 yesterday and rode it all day today. Unbelieveable, it's the best this sled has run yet! It was tight but it fit, along with a shift assist. Backshift is superfast and never dropped off 7400 R's all day.

Would you please measure the ID of the spring you used? If it matches the arctic white or orange I would love to know where to get one thanks.

Premium Features