• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 M, accidentally hit kill switch- what you guys doin to to prevent it?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Just wondering what you guys are doing to prevent hitting the kill switch accidentally on the 06 M's. Rubber band? Cable tie? Other ideas?? Only has happened a few times, but every time has sucked....

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Get the right size o-ring and put on it. That way you can put a bit more pressure on it to kill the engine. But if you bump it, it will not stay down.

Thunder

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the replies! I DO have a tether installed, but prefer the kill switch for a quick stop/start. Kinda a pain to hook the tether up to stop for a minute or 2.

Thunder- don't suppose you know what size I should be looking for do ya?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Thanks for the replies! I DO have a tether installed, but prefer the kill switch for a quick stop/start. Kinda a pain to hook the tether up to stop for a minute or 2.

Thunder- don't suppose you know what size I should be looking for do ya?

No I don't know the exact size. I have an assortment and just picked through them until I found the one that fit the best.

Thunder

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
I have a zip tie under mine, works good as you can still use it (just have to hold it down till the engine stops) but can't bump it and turn it off.

A

arctic matt

Nov 29, 2007
Cache Valley Ut.
I've got four daughters so there are always hair ties everywhere, and they work good for this. The black ones work the best, but they do come in a large variety of colors. I've heard the red ones will give you five more horse power, but I haven't tried that color!!! HAHAHAHA

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
had rubber bands on my o6 since it was new works perfect jump the paperboy get three rubber bands and ride forever if you unhook the kill switch you get rid of the most important safety feature on your sled the stuck throttle kill

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
"unhook it and just turn the key."

DO NOT DO THIS!!! This is very bad advice. The key switch is an open circuit when the key is in run and needs to close to shut the engine off. I rolled my sled and when the hood came open an broke, it cut the key wires on the back. The oil cap also come off and all my oil flew out as it rolled 20 or so times down the hill. It was still running at the bottom with the oil tank empty. When I got to it, I tried to shut it down with the kill switch, didn't work. Tried to turn the key off...still running. I took the key out....still running. I tried to pull the plug wires and the front two are too close to the pipe and I couldn't get them off. I finally went back up the hill and found the wire harness with the guages that had ripped off and plugged it in. Then the kill switch worked. My point is, DO NOT RELY ON THE KEY switch, it is useless.

J
Feb 18, 2009
I just have mine unplugged and use the key to kill it. After reading some of these suggestions I'm probably gonna plug it back and put an o-ring or something around it to make it harder to kill.

W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Hair Ties

I've got four daughters so there are always hair ties everywhere, and they work good for this. The black ones work the best, but they do come in a large variety of colors. I've heard the red ones will give you five more horse power, but I haven't tried that color!!! HAHAHAHA
Now thats funney I dont care who you are

This works great, they make about three different sizes as well(diamiter) you can pick and choose. ( match the color of thong you are wearing that day) LOL:D

Premium Features