• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Low End Bog

B

Bullcamp

Dec 6, 2007
WY
not to complain...[/QUOTE]

I'm not complaining. The new sleds just flat work. That was my point. Evolution of the mountain sled has been exponential. The newer sleds go places that us old dudes wouldn't even think of going 20 years ago. Much more reliable too. Learning to deal with a bog is small potatos. I totally understand a new sled not running perfectlly would piss a guy off but having to brapp the throttle to not make it bog really isn't a big deal.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Not saying it's a big deal. The sled runs like a beast. However if others are seeing the issue and there is a fix...then why the heck wouldn't you want to figure it out and do it???

I do not own this sled but for what its worth I know that I have seen where people put a light counter-acting spring on the oil pump lever and connect it to the chassis somewhere so that the oil pump always comes back to normal (no throttle) position. This might be worth a try since it would do no harm and be very easy to do.

Clayton, Im the guy who is talking to you via email about my craigslist post...

Garrett

A
Dec 13, 2007
Wasilla
not to complain...

I'm not complaining. The new sleds just flat work. That was my point. Evolution of the mountain sled has been exponential. The newer sleds go places that us old dudes wouldn't even think of going 20 years ago. Much more reliable too. Learning to deal with a bog is small potatos. I totally understand a new sled not running perfectlly would piss a guy off but having to brapp the throttle to not make it bog really isn't a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Point people are trying to make is to find a fix for the bog. A new EFI sled should be dialed in. I don't want to have to worry about my engine bogging unexpectedly just as I drop a cornice and need to keep my front end up.
If my race sleds bogged, you can bet I would be all over it, just like I will be with my HCR.

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
interesting reading everyones opinion. i noticed my '10 m8 bogging as well, but i figured it was due to the oil+gas mix for the motor break in. i wasn't going to really address untill i had clean (no oil) gas in the tank and ran it through.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Mapping is the issue (like '06 M7 and '08 800). Too lean ( that's why lower engagement, more load brings it out more.
'09 was perfect (took 3 yrs.). I figured the '10 would have issues ( I lower my engagement and increase load right away anyway) so I installed my Boony box (need M1000 wiring harness if you have an old one). Added 4 to 3000 hi and 7 to 5000 mid and hi. Not dialed yet by any means (waiting for thr SLP people to finish their new pipe) but got rid of the bog and added a bit more torque.

AC always leans toward emmission standards not performance (it's the law LOL).

Geo

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have a 09 M-6 turbo so there are many things thrown into the mix but I too have had a hesitation with a burble that seems to be too rich at the bottom end. I know it could also be a back pressure issue but what I am finding by experiment is that fuel pressure can definatelybe an issue. At 40 psi it is very fat and at 35 it sounds much leaner and maybe guys could look into tweaking or at least varifying the fuel pressure for fine tuning? I'm not sure if the stock set up allows for this adjustment or not?

HMC 399

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2008
utah
I've got almost 200 miles on now and have had it happen a few times, can ride around it but for darn near $11,000 grand would prefer not to. The rant earlier from the old-timer about shut up and deal with it seems a little off base, in the last 10 years sled prices have doubled and with that should come better reliability and performance. I'm sure there will be a few updates to the ecu from cat, but in the mean-time the thread is how to solve the problem besides riding around it. To me it seems to be more fuel and less clutching, the way to solve that is with a fuel control box, or to ride around it & wait for an update. I've bought my fair share of new sleds over the years and even with the few problems I see with this sled it is by far the best sled I've ever bought. 2 thumbs up

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
if it increases when you climb in elevation you would think it was a rich bog because of less air, or a clutch bog from less power. But thing that might tell you something is the barometric pressure tube, if it bogs pull it out of the bottom of the nose cone and put it closer to the heat of the pipe, it should cause the sled to think its a warmer day and that the barometric pressure is lower and the ecu will pull a tinny bit of fuel from the map. If it gets worse its a lean bog if better its a rich bog.

But it may be other things as well and it may do nothing, it has worked before but no promises.

B

Bullcamp

Dec 6, 2007
WY
Ok, sorry for the old dude rant. Going to get a chance to ride tomorrow. It'll be on a tank full of oil but at least I'll be able to put my $ where my mouth is.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Just throwing this out there...Of all ya'all out there that are experiencing the bog, What length track are you running? I had a m8 153...no bog ever, no stumble, ran great!!! Then I moved to the m1000 162 and all of a sudden, bog became an issue. Maybe its simply a gearing issue?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Just throwing this out there...Of all ya'all out there that are experiencing the bog, What length track are you running? I had a m8 153...no bog ever, no stumble, ran great!!! Then I moved to the m1000 162 and all of a sudden, bog became an issue. Maybe its simply a gearing issue?

No, not the problem. do a search or start a new thread, and if its a 09 start with the oil pump. then clutching, they where mapped well. track length wouldn't matter either.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
Is anyone else getting a little bit of a bog right off idle?

It doesn't do it all the time but it's pretty frequent. It's almost acting like its getting a little too much gas or loading up. I can usually clear it up if I blip the throttle a couple of times before taking off. Once I just pinned it when it bogged off the line and the machine fell on it's face until I let off the gas, which is partly why I think I may be getting too much gas. My only change to the machine has been the can and I've got about 120 miles. Other than the bog (about 25% of the time) the machine runs like a top. Amazing low mid and top power.

Thoughts?

Update...check out my oil pump and sure enough it's sticking. If I let the throttle snap back the pump arm comes all the way back. If I come off the throttle easy the pumps lever sticks at about 1/4 to 1/3. That would explain me not seeing the issue every time and the fact it clears up when I blip the throttle a few times (burn off the oil) before taking off. Guess I'll have to get in there and add a spring or something.

On a side note I have a friend that works on sleds as a side business. He as replacing an oil pump on a Polaris sled. Apparently they all use the same Mukini oil pump. He said the new one he had right out of the box was sticking or had a spot where the pump tended to want to bind up. Same thing for the pump he was taking off with over 2k miles on it.

H

hardcore2

Feb 26, 2003
Cranbrook BC
Had the same bog for the first 500Kms---Put on a new belt and shimmed the secondary properly and no more bog . Now have 1500Kms and love it .

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
Mine 2010 seems to load up as well. Wen I let it idle to warm up it takes quite a few blips to get the track spinning. A sticky oil pump makes sense. If I slowly come to a stop my pump is probably stuck. Then when I start it up it loads up because the pump is open more than it should be. I'll have to look into it. I hope I don't foul any plugs.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Mine 2010 seems to load up as well. Wen I let it idle to warm up it takes quite a few blips to get the track spinning. A sticky oil pump makes sense. If I slowly come to a stop my pump is probably stuck. Then when I start it up it loads up because the pump is open more than it should be. I'll have to look into it. I hope I don't foul any plugs.

my 2008 had bog issue that was related to the sticky oil pump and i put 2700 miles with no fouled plugs.
-Aksnopro

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Mine had the bog/hestitation/stumble or whatever you want to call it, then two rides ago I losened the nut as far as I could on the bolt for my gold finger left hand throttle. It seemed to have plenty of free play to begin with, but I and have never had the issue since. If your running a left hand throttle, that may be your issue too.

Premium Features