• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

reed problems

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
any one having reed problems ???how long are yours going I know some guys had intake boot problems was looking my reeds and the edges are starting to get a little jagged

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
700 miles on mine and no problems yet, anywhere from 4 - 12.6 lbs

BUT I have a spare set on hand, lets just hope that I don't do something stupid when I put them in like plugging the fan and oil pump into the wrong electrical connection and toast another center section. :rolleyes:

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
My last sled made it over 2200 miles and the reeds were still in great shape, sled was run in every boost range possible at every elevation.

Also I have the reinforcement plates for the throttle body boots if your interested.

45 plus shipping.
Thanks
Justin Silbernagel

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
There was a post on HCS a while back about how 800cfi motors were eating vforce reeds and explaining why it was happening. The post was started by a very well informed and respected guy over there(akiqpilot). I couldnt find the thread but its there somewhere.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
a turbo 800cfi would eat vforce reeds in 1 ride..... as for the stock reeds i went through three sets last year, all lasting about 1000 miles a peice, it all depends on how hot you run your sled... if i kept my exhaust temps around 1100 degrees or lower they seemed to last longer, but my sled runs way better around 1200 degrees, and on long pulls it will spike up to 1250 range which burns the tips off the reeds. my reeds failing as far as splititng not related to the heat issue, seemed to go hand in hand with the throttle body boots tearing, once the pressure was leaking the reeds didnt last any longer. i now have one of the bracket supports for the throttle body boot and it should keep everything in tact and hopefully make the reeds last longer

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
My 2 cents...thats a "dry" cage-no substantial oil or fuel to help lubricate the petal as it slaps the rubber overmolded cage(no fuel travels through the cage).Lots of friction if you think about it(friction creates heat which is one cause of delamination). Keep your IAT's down and they'll last longer but not for ever!.We are working on a reed cage/throttle body oil injection mod to add some lubrication in that area for longer reed life. No problems with any of the Hart Motor Sports turbos we've done with the liquid intercooler(cooler IAT's than most). We only use stock reeds with a turbo.

curt

Premium Features