• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX Bumper Cracking Tunnel

C
Feb 1, 2008
Thanks!

We are sorry to hear of the failures in the BDX bumper and we appreciate all the good ideas that our customers are coming up with to resolve the issue. Many of you see the importance of the correct install but we see there is also an issue for more bracing in the tunnel area for the more seasoned riders. We will have a kit that will be available in April for all bumpers purchased. It is a very clean and effective fix for this issue. We will advise our dealers and distributors once it is available. Thanks for your support and we will continue to support our customers.

Ray

Your concern is appreciated. I have the black colored kit and I'm wondering if your kit will also be available in black. I have a small crack just beginning on one side. My kit was installed correctly with well rounded and smoothed corners. Never been tailed and have done no towing, just lifting out from being stuck. Anxiously awaiting the fix.:beer;

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Here's mine conversion - even it's not BDX stuff.
Bumber is connected into bracket with two rivets from track side.
1.jpg

And two rivets below tunnel.
2.jpg

I'm going to add this kind of steel support next summer. Easy to do and it's quite invisible.
plan.jpg

Up view.
3.jpg

If you are using -09 Cat foot rests in your mods - I suggest welding them into rolls. I lost my footrest last weekend and pal lost his footrest month ago. They snap really easily at rivet hole.

BDX should connect bumper and footrest somehow to each other:
Riveting them together maybe?

Last edited:
I hear ya about it being right from the start... I'm sure that Mike is really looking into this and that he will back up his product...

But... the radius on the cut makes a WORLD of difference in how things break.

Agreed, but with drilling the three holes for the foot pegs, we lost most of the strenght that area will provide regardless on how you mount it....

i have to admit...your are a bright and handy snot sucker....:beer;:beer;

this is the bracket that bdx should look at..i have a local shop that has a shear/bender so do-able easily
but as well if bdx came up with a good end all great fix i would consider covering some cost...shipping etc as it could be a fair
bit of coin for a small outfit

Mine is SOLID......ROCK SOLID not the prettiest (my rear tunnel piece is still bent to h3ll but it will due till summer) and if you or anyone want brakets like this I can PM you my buddies cell#

If a bunch of peps want them I bet it could be real affordable...

And snot-picking is something we are all good at;)

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
BDX BUMPER REINFORCEMENT UPDATE will now be available beginning the week of March 30th, two weeks ahead of schedule. We have been working around the clock ( literally ) to get this resolved for our valued customers. It is about a 45 min job and all the parts will be sent at no charge. See whomever you purchased your BDX Bumper from and we will be sending them out as soon as they are off the production line. We again appreciate all the input from our customers and dealers.
Ray

reinforcement tunnel plate 006.jpg reinforcement tunnel plate 009.jpg

Last edited:
J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
BDX BUMPER REINFORCEMENT UPDATE will now be available beginning the week of March 30th, two weeks ahead of schedule. We have been working around the clock ( literally ) to get this resolved for our valued customers. It is about a 45 min job and all the parts will be sent at no charge. See whomever you purchased your BDX Bumper from and we will be sending them out as soon as they are off the production line. We again appreciate all the input from our customers and dealers.
Ray

I will be posting pictures in the a.m. having network connection issues.

Mike
BDX

I got mine direct from BDX will you be sending them based on your records?

Jason

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I know this isn't apples to apples, not saying it compares, just funny.

THis is my wife's 08 M1k, took a hell of a digger. The bumper and junction of back half are the only things NOT jacked!!!

IMG_9154.jpg

I gotta say, at least the bumper is strong!!

(this is not arguing anything or with anyone, it's the opposite force, I just can't believe how well it held up.)

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I know this isn't apples to apples, not saying it compares, just funny.

THis is my wife's 08 M1k, took a hell of a digger. The bumper and junction of back half are the only things NOT jacked!!!

IMG_9154.jpg

I gotta say, at least the bumper is strong!!

(this is not arguing anything or with anyone, it's the opposite force, I just can't believe how well it held up.)

How does that happen?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
How does that happen?

throttle stuck, she got bucked, the sled did a front flip at full speed...
but I still don't understand how the track came off.

I was about 100 yards ahead & didn't see any of it. There was damage just about everywhere & some big chunks taken out of the track from hitting the drop downs.

It's all fixed now except for the hood, I don't have a spare right now, anybody want to sell one?????

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
mike, so you dont get hammered w/ phone calls and emails, for those of us who bought direct, do we need to contact you for the updates, or are you really organized and sending out the kits automatically???

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
For those of you who purchased directly from us, we will sending out update kits from our records. We will start shipping out the first week in April.

Mike
BDX

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Bummer Caleb... Insurance?

Nah, BRIAN! Thanks MPMINC!!!

Already fixed! Bars, post (it was a BRAND new fastlane too!), pipe, hood (not fixed), back half of tunnel, new x-fire cooler (sits like an 09 M)

she's got no hood yet, but ready to go!

I've totalled 2 sleds in the last year, it wasn't really an option!
He also just fixed my broken bulkhead with some 1/4" alum. plate, look in front of your steering post if you jump or have rolled your sled, it cracks the bulkhead where it laps over the tunnel. Definitely a weak spot, I've seen quite a few of them now that I'm looking. It's tough to see on the 1000, kinda hidden under the head.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Thumbs up to you Mike and BDX I looked at my tunnel and have no damage as of yet. Will wait for you to send my kit.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Fix work for Kingcat kits

Mike,

Does the brace fit the Kingcat kits? Mine isn't showing any problems but i want to be safe.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
It does fit the King Kat too but because the tunnel is .035" thicker than the M's and Xfires,there has not been an issue. If you want one just give us a call

Ray
BDX

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Are the KingCats and 1M's really .035 thicker? Mine is .049-.050 thick, The new one's can't be .015 thick? You must mean .015 thicker? .035 does seem awfully flimsy if you ask me!

Mike

Premium Features