• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative impact 36" M-chassis a arm kit

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Can anybody tell me the thread size for the tie rod end? I am going to try to go buy a tap today.
How about tie rod length on a 06? I know the spindles changes at some point.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Can anybody tell me the thread size for the tie rod end? I am going to try to go buy a tap today.
How about tie rod length on a 06? I know the spindles changes at some point.

Man, I wish I could remember.

I'd pull an adjustment/steering rod off and just take it to a hardware store and play match up. I think that's what I did. You're going to be taking it off anyway to cut it.

P

Photomaker

Dec 9, 2007
SW Montana
Just installed your kit on my 2011 M8, 3/8-24 still. Installation went great. Was a little concerned because I have the Raptor shocks. Had them shorten by Andy at GSR. He used a shorter loop w/ a spacer, rather than cutting the rod. Fit great with no rubbing on the coils. Did a test run on an open field with about 6 inches of snow. I can tell I'm going to love it. Trying it for real this Sunday. Thanks for a great product.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Just installed your kit on my 2011 M8, 3/8-24 still. Installation went great. Was a little concerned because I have the Raptor shocks. Had them shorten by Andy at GSR. He used a shorter loop w/ a spacer, rather than cutting the rod. Fit great with no rubbing on the coils. Did a test run on an open field with about 6 inches of snow. I can tell I'm going to love it. Trying it for real this Sunday. Thanks for a great product.

Andy is a pro. not sure how he makes a living without cutting corners, but he does or wouldnt keep doing it. Quality work for sure. Wish i would have built these 7 years ago. Be sure to post how you like them with a real world test. Thanks!
Dan

P

Photomaker

Dec 9, 2007
SW Montana
Just got back from my first real-world ride since installing the Alternative Impact a-arm kit on my 2011, 162, M8. In two words "loved it". This will be my 3rd year running the KMOD rear suspension with Raptor shocks also on the front suspension. I can't say enough good about the KMOD/Raptor setup. I ran the Timbersled suspension with fox floats on my previous sled and put over 6000 miles on the mighty-mite M7 (see attached photo). The Timbersled is a very good suspension but the KMOD in my opinion is much better. And now with the addition of the Alternatively Impact I feel like I've got the ultimate.

I have since 2007 been fortunate enough to mountain test every model year through 2016 of Arctic Cat. I know the Arctic Cat Rep very well and have had a standing offer that I would buy a ProClimb when it out performed my 2011. 2016 was the first year I actually consider it. And while I'm far from a "Chris Burandt" I did get to ride with him in his Backcountry Adventures on a 2014 Pro. Man can that guy ride. I liked the Pro but couldn't get past the reliability issues. So when I heard about Alternative Impacts narrower front end kit I was interested, and after reading the reports back here on this thread I took the plunge.

I'm a side hill - boondock kind of guy. Everything was just easier, most of the time I was thinking "I'm expending no energy ". I even enjoyed it on the trail, the sled responses much quicker to body-weight transfers. This allows you to counteract any tipping tendencies with suttle body movement. By mid ride I wasn't really thinking about riding, the sled just more intuitively went where I wanted. If you have a balance style of riding you will love this mod.

2016-12-11 22.50.19.jpg

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I have 300 miles on my 36.5 front end. Install was a breeze, everything fit perfectly. I should mention I opted to have my fox floats shortened. I used gas shock repair in Idaho. Top notch work and a super fast turn around. This front end is a must have if you are a tree rider/boondocker. It is unbelievable how the sled handles with this front end. It has wonderful balance. It didn't change how the sled balances, just makes it soooo much easier to get it there. If you ride an M series in the back country order your kit right now!

H
Sep 5, 2014
Vernon bc
Anyone still riding an M series in 2021?! Just picked one up. Have a 2013 PC but I want to make this 08 M series into a bit of a “mod sled” can keep my hands off messing around with sleds. can you still get these a arms?

H
Sep 5, 2014
Vernon bc
Ah man. To bad it’s in American dollars. From Canada here. Someone has to have a set in Canada that’s sitting on a shelf somewhere they would like to get rid of ? if not I’ll probably build some my self. Thanks for the reply!

H
Sep 5, 2014
Vernon bc
Sorry if I am in the wrong thread for this but has anyone tried moving the spindle ahead at all like they were doing with XMs and nytros of this generation? Wonder if that would improve the balance of the sled on edge? I know this is all old equipment and what not. But these older sleds fascinate me with how close they are with a good rider on the sled to a newer machine that cost quadruple to purchase. I know there isn’t really a comparison but still pretty cool.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Anyone still riding this kit in 2022? I’ve road a 2016 arctic cat with the stock 36” front end, does this kit make the M8’s handle like the pro climb with the stock 36” front end?

I have a stock 2011 that I’m considering putting this kit on or selling the sled and getting a newer 2013-2017 sled

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I'm riding a '17 Mountain Cat 153 (Twin-rail) with the Ice Age Elevate kit with gripper skis set at 37.5", it's great, way better than stock. I also have a mint '10 M8 153 LTD with AC Pro-Climb G2 skis as my back up sled that I'm putting the Alternative Impact 36.5" front end on this winter; I'll give you a review when I get some seat time on it.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
I don't mean to bash this kit at all, but I made my own set of 36" a-arms for my M7 and while they did make it easier to tip the sled in the garage, the results on snow were less noticeable. I even shortened my shocks to get back to proper ride height. I wouldn't put A-arms very high on the list of mods that made a big difference to this chassis. I've been riding the M-chassis for 9 years and I also have a '17 Mountain Cat. The M series is still an excellent mountain sled and handles quite well stock. It rolls over easier than the newer MC, but needs more body english to keep it on edge (ie dangling a foot vs just standing on the running boards). I'm back on 38" A-arms because of too many trees, and it honestly feels about the same. A suspension rebuild/revalve is way more noticeable.

I've tried all sorts of things on the M-series and if I had to do it again I would limit it to these mods:

1. Suspension revalve (& float rear skid if old style skid)
2. Running boards (more so on the 05-07, they are just too flexible for technical riding)
3. Track (2.6 or 3")

And that's about it.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
I had tagged a tree the ride before, and only had 38" spares, so I rode the rest of the season on a 36 (the black side) and 38. Almost no difference.

20210228_111804.jpg

Premium Features