• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 850: "Second Ride" Review

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Lets keep the personal comments/attacks out of this forum please.

Thanks,
MH.

I apologize. I have no evidence that tuneman is a genius or that JJ_0909 is stupid. I was out of line and it won't happen again even though I got called 10 different names before I stood up to the snowest bullies.

This is my first internet fight of the day. Usually I would be in three or four by now.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
6000 views. Three people got offended. Not bad.
Now how bout them 850's?

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
JJ_0909 how much does a new 850 side panel with decals, latches and foam cost?

Last edited:
C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
The only thing I really dislike about the 850 is the single ring piston design. Im not sold on them until we see some longevity out of them. Same goes for any polaris ditch the track , do a cat 2.6/3'' or a camoplast 3'' , drivers to gear it down and good to go! I felt with every polaris the biggest draw backs have been the drive train not the engines. Get it moving snow and these things shred! Keep up with the riding clips guys !! getting me all fired up!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The only thing I really dislike about the 850 is the single ring piston design. Im not sold on them until we see some longevity out of them. Same goes for any polaris ditch the track , do a cat 2.6/3'' or a camoplast 3'' , drivers to gear it down and good to go! I felt with every polaris the biggest draw backs have been the drive train not the engines. Get it moving snow and these things shred! Keep up with the riding clips guys !! getting me all fired up!

Agree with the single ring, we will see how it holds up. The Poo engineers have some really good "marketing" info on why it will work.

Disagree on the track. The 2.6 is great IMO. I was in 4 foot of fresh snow today and it flat performed. I can't imagine going to the 3".

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
I got on this thread to see what people's opinions were of the new 850s. Instead I spent 20 minutes reading about a pissing match turbo vs n/a blah, blah, blah. Not disrespecting anybody's opinion but this got way off subject. 20 minutes of my life I can never get back. Wish I had snow so I could ride instead of sitting at this stupid computer. Start a new thread on the 850 so we can read about them. Thanks. Hope everybody gets lots of snow for a great winter.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have rode "patrick" two days, after i bought '19 154 G4 and i am happy on 101%.
I can translate for my Russian friend.

"I rode the 850 Patriot for two days. This was after I bought a '19 154 G4.
I am 100% happy with the Patriot. It is better than the G4. Wanna share some vodka?"

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Let's get back on topic here. The 8-fitty...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Baldy_sm.jpg Tank Trap_sm.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Got some miles on my 850 this weekend. My previous sled was a piped 2017 800. So far I’m pretty happy, but not really wowed. I’m currently at 75 miles/5.4 hours. We rode at 10,000ft or so and pulled 8100-8200 rpm with 66s in.

Some thoughts-
1. First thing I noticed is the hand warmers get hot at idle. Sounds dumb, but thats one of my favorite things about this sled so far.
2. They run super rich for the first few hours.
3. As others have said it does not have the bottom end like the Doo does. I would say it feel alot like the 800 until pretty close to WFO. We did not have an 800 with us, and haven’t ridden one since last year, so it’s hard to really know how different it feels.
4. The react front end seems to work well. The sled lays over super easy. I did bend an a arm on a fairly minor rock hit, so they must still be weak.
5. The stock shocks are bad. I would spend money here before anything else. I had Carls valving on my 2017 and it was the best money I’ve ever spent on a sled. Night and day better. I am not affiliated with them in anyway.
6. The pidd comes preloaded with trail maps.

Overall a good sled so far, hopefully it continues to get better with some more miles.
Good news, it got better.

Got another 3 days on my 850 this week. Currently sitting at 160 miles/12 hours. This sled rips. Period. Seems weird but I feel like it really woke up at 7.5 hours, not 2 or 10. Been pulling 8200 at 9500-10500’ with 66 grams.

We had a 2016 Axys 800 with and did some switching back and fourth. The 850 feels lighter and easier to lay over as well as stronger all the way through. Less shake in the 850 handlebars for sure, just feels more refined.

We drag raced up a couple small to medium sized hills in 15-18” fresh on top of a nice base. The 800 is a 163” 2.6, my 850 is a 155” 2.6, both stock. We went a couple times and the 850 pulled 6 or so sled lengths on the 800.

I tightened all 4 shocks up after my first ride and they feel *better* ... still not great by any means. At 165lbs or so I’m pretty surprised at how much I’m stiil bottoming out with how tight things are.

Bent another aarm, upper this time. Not even sure when it happened if thats any indication of how weak they are. Have a bent running board as well... they could use a little beefing up, I bent 2 on my last Axys. High clearance boards on the cheap I guess.

On the last day of riding my sled died and wouldn’t start with out throttle and wouldnt idle. Throttle cable was too tight, luckily I got it figured out right away and had no more issues.

So far I’m really loving this sled... it’s pretty wild for a stocker. Cant wait for the next rip.

Last edited:
Premium Features