• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch bearing retaining bolt broke and chewed up clutches

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Question for everyone. My 18 850 secondary clutch bolt broke and it chewed up the both the faces of both primary and secondary clutches. Looking it up, the bolt that broke is actually a recall.
Will ski doo replace my clutches? If not, if I take the burrs don and sand it do you think the clutches will be ok? There are about 100 small nicks and burrs on each face of the primary.

850 clutch.jpg

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
There is a ton of material on the moveable sheave so you will be good on that one.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
Thought the recall was on the clutch tower bolts, not bearing retainer bolt? Both mine where broken and dealer replaced under warranty - fortunately no other damage.

Additionally, if there was a recall done, BRP may deny because you never got the update done? Believe the recall was issued in Nov/Dec 2017. Simply speculation however.

Sorry to hear about your issue and good luck getting it all squared away!

Last edited:

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Thought the recall was on the clutch tower bolts, not bearing retainer bolt? Both mine where broken and dealer replaced under warranty - fortunately no other damage.

Additionally, if there was a recall done, BRP may deny because you never got the update done? Believe the recall was issued in Nov/Dec 2017. Simply speculation however.

Sorry to hear about your issue and good luck getting it all squared away!

Yes, that is my fear. I bought the sled used and didn't register with Doo so I didn't recieve any notifications.

Clutch tower bolt, yes, I believe that is the one.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
You should be covered I’d think. The 18’s had a recall on the bolts to prevent that. So if your unit did not receive the recall, in my book the recall is still open.

Also I’d think you should still have warranty.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Ski doo is covering everything damaged down to the belt.

I bought the sled used, did not transfer warranty that was up today.

I'm pleased, too bad that it will take another 10 to 14 days to have it repaired.

Premium Features