• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil Issues?

W
Sep 9, 2013
sucks, the issue on 19 is different, those 18's should be covered under warranty for sure. Mounts won't unless you have blown belts and have made a claim, no need to replace if you have not blown belts, bulletins are ongoing so if you ever do and make a claim then you will get motor mounts. or you can pay for them, not expensive. cheers dave

18 only under warranty if actively broken correct? Mine did what is being described on the 19's, stopped working when hot then fixed itself. Dealer says they can't repeat and there are no service bulletins for it so they can't do anything. Will be ok if it stays fixed, but I bought the SP so only 1 year warranty that is almost up.

U
Feb 1, 2013
You can start it off the clutch and put the 2019, 2018 and 2017 cvt cover back on, you just have to be carefull around any moving part. 2019 is an annoying issue that will go away and not on every sled as I have broken three in and have not encountered the issue. I have shot but test it every time as per requests, i still have fresh sleds so it may happen with them. and different issues over different years....still small percentages but annoying non the less.

I have an 18 my recoil slipped day 1 on the first ride on the first stop/regroup on the trail in.Managed to play with it and get it to grab. It did it a few more times. Had it in, supposedly was replaced. I had it do it again on my first day this year.It has done it several times since. Same thing has never left me stranded but is definitely suspect.

I would like to see a video of someone actually putting the clutch cover back on while clutch is spinning. If it's so easy you should post a video of you doing it. I personally can't get my cover back on without bouncing it off the clutch or catching it on the primary clutch bolt 2 or 3 times.

Obviously there's an issue, whether it's design or poor quality parts being used who knows. I did not get shot as I bought my sled at the end of the season on sale. So I got what I got. Having the issue both times on my first day out on it, especially after it was "fixed" is not exactly confidence inspiring.

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
To update the thread, my recoil began working when hot the morning of day 2. Right around 50 miles.

Thanks Dave! Loving the lower riser and Kuster seat you suggested to me at Haydays!

Stimpy97c

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2014
Are any of you having problems foil taping the recoil? Just curious as we are having to do it on the RS's. It fixes the problems of the recoil not working when it is hot. Neither the 17 or 18 summit have had issues for us so we haven't had to do that on those.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I have an 18 my recoil slipped day 1 on the first ride on the first stop/regroup on the trail in.Managed to play with it and get it to grab. It did it a few more times. Had it in, supposedly was replaced. I had it do it again on my first day this year.It has done it several times since. Same thing has never left me stranded but is definitely suspect.

I would like to see a video of someone actually putting the clutch cover back on while clutch is spinning. If it's so easy you should post a video of you doing it. I personally can't get my cover back on without bouncing it off the clutch or catching it on the primary clutch bolt 2 or 3 times.

Obviously there's an issue, whether it's design or poor quality parts being used who knows. I did not get shot as I bought my sled at the end of the season on sale. So I got what I got. Having the issue both times on my first day out on it, especially after it was "fixed" is not exactly confidence inspiring.

Sorry to hear, but don't get it fixed and ride it and it will go away, 50-100 miles...thye just added another one and set you back....as i stated in previous posts. Too Busy to do a video on that right now but if i get the chance i will...

It seems like most of this relates to 2018 and 2019 models.

I have a 2017 with about 800 miles. My recoil started acting up last weekend. It wouldn’t engage when I was unloading at the snopark to go riding. I got it to engage and start with some finesse. Once it was warmed up it was fine all day. I figured it was just some fluke thing since it worked fine all day.

I went out yesterday and it was finicky. One time it would engage no problem, the next time I would have to finesse it for a few pulls to get it to catch. I made it thru the day but when I got home it Granaded when i put it in reverse unloading it into the garage. It sounded horrible like the string flew apart. I haven’t pulled it off yet.

Anyone have this issue or have ideas. I will pull it apart tonight and see what it looks like.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
It seems like most of this relates to 2018 and 2019 models.

I have a 2017 with about 800 miles. My recoil started acting up last weekend. It wouldn’t engage when I was unloading at the snopark to go riding. I got it to engage and start with some finesse. Once it was warmed up it was fine all day. I figured it was just some fluke thing since it worked fine all day.

I went out yesterday and it was finicky. One time it would engage no problem, the next time I would have to finesse it for a few pulls to get it to catch. I made it thru the day but when I got home it Granaded when i put it in reverse unloading it into the garage. It sounded horrible like the string flew apart. I haven’t pulled it off yet.

Anyone have this issue or have ideas. I will pull it apart tonight and see what it looks like.

Had a chum blow his apart on his '02 like that.

I was wondering if you and he possibly grabbed the rope a bit while in reverse? If so - you'll lose it in a heartbeat!

I just bought a kit to put one on my otherwise only electric start sled.
Prolly won't get it put on yet this season, but at least I have it to look at and understand.

I see that they did away with the star worsher that could possibly cause the whole assembly to get too tight, so that may not be the problem. It looks like they put much lighter grease in them than the did when they first came out with the SerIII motors. It looks like a nice light while lithium grease, and that shouldn't get too thick when cold I wouldn't think? BUt then again - I don't run any lube to speak of on mine. Plastic on plastic doesn't need lube.

One thing's fer sure tho - this thing doesn't have much pawl engagement!
Doesn't seem like much meat torquing over a big motor!

Last edited:

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Bought a leftover 2017 Skidoo 850 165" mid February 2018 it did it about 2 or 3 times earlier in the season. Didn't think too much about it. But as soon as it got out of warranty it's been doing it a lot more. (1 year warranty ). Sled has about 750 miles on it.

S
Feb 2, 2017
anyone had their recoil freeze up after a rain / freeze cycle? I think I just did.....wont pull at all. Putting the heat to it now.... afraid when it unthaws it wont work cause it's too warm. Damn Doo

Premium Features