• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha 1 ride review

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Welcome to the green side.

Skidoo guy for over 10yrs prolly gonna jump ship. I like the idea of the skid, somewhat scared on reliability of cat coming off a 16doo t3 154 with 2500 mtn miles and never a problem! Looking for something more standup jetski style in a sled anyways. Wasn’t really impressed with the few times i rode a friends 154 g4 850, felt boaty like a polaris and and seemed like it was longer than a 154xm...

Just curious, what aspect of cat unreliability bothers you? I'm not aware of any unreliability issues with these newer gen cat sleds. Am i missing something?

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
I did get stuck and yes rolls over much easier, can’t believe how much less snow the skid holds. I will be riding one next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f94398ff107b180fa129b1e72f378d88.jpg

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Just curious, what aspect of cat unreliability bothers you? I'm not aware of any unreliability issues with these newer gen cat sleds. Am i missing something?

I guess honestly I think the recent doos have the best reliability. Seems like on the mtn guys are always working on their cats not riding them. They’re prolly 2015s and older though. I guess I just wanted to prod a bit to see if any reliability issues come out.. Again I’m more then set to buy an alpha but want to be prepared at what kind of prep the new cats need to live in the backcountry. Doos had to have clutches redone and belts still wouldn’t go past 700 miles. Didn’t wanna offend anyone with the cat reliability questions, looking back to the older cats i think pre 15 had tons of issues with belts also? That’s great to hear there isn’t any reliability issues.

Last edited:

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
First thanks for answering these questions. Would you recommended to a beginner or not so skilled rider. I am a cat dealer and may not get to ride this alpha so would like to lean customers in the right direction. Thanks

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
First thanks for answering these questions. Would you recommended to a beginner or not so skilled rider. I am a cat dealer and may not get to ride this alpha so would like to lean customers in the right direction. Thanks

I think it would be fine for newbie cause the sled is pretty forgiving and it is gonna take some learning to ride for anyone experienced or not

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I am curious about the new ski.
Keel looks just like the gripper, i assume the darting has all but gone away.

Alpha ......

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
I guess honestly I think the recent doos have the best reliability. Seems like on the mtn guys are always working on their cats not riding them. They’re prolly 2015s and older though. I guess I just wanted to prod a bit to see if any reliability issues come out.. Again I’m more then set to buy an alpha but want to be prepared at what kind of prep the new cats need to live in the backcountry. Doos had to have clutches redone and belts still wouldn’t go past 700 miles. Didn’t wanna offend anyone with the cat reliability questions, looking back to the older cats i think pre 15 had tons of issues with belts also? That’s great to hear there isn’t any reliability issues.

My experience is only with '14 and older. I don't have belt issues with either sled, but i know others have. The first thing to do is have clutches balanced. Very important. Then its just fine tuning. They are acceptable in stock form, but there is room for improvement. Usually some MDS weights and a helix make a large improvement. Oh, and skis for sure. That is unless cat finally figured out that their mtn skis the last 10 years weren't worth a damn. Its not like it was a secret we were keeping from them. Other than some simple clutching, not much to talk about as far as problems. Maybe figure out how to turn off the tree magnet...:face-icon-small-hap

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
I am curious about the new ski.
Keel looks just like the gripper, i assume the darting has all but gone away.

Alpha ......

It reminded me of my personal sled with slp powder pros, it had very good trail manners for sure and held the line well in carving situations

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Did you feel the 165 would do donuts as tight as a MC 153?

Tighter, if you can hang on to it the thing would go as tight as you could balance and not fall off ha ha. You could feel when you hit the point the track would flex and allow you to go further and tighter than a conventional skid and you had to be really careful not to bring it too far.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Can you believe how much positive interest that one person can generate over one ride, which most likely will convert into sales for Cat, and yet Cat is not sounding like they are not necessarily doing demo rides for SnowCheck?
GET THEM OUT ON THE SNOW!

Sounds like they may have the sled to beat for two years running and yet still their marketing sucks.

And thank you IDACATMAN2 for an actual ride review and taking the time to answer everyones questions, your sales commission will reflect that , lol

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I went to the local cat dealer yesterday hoping maybe by now they had some word on demos for the alpha. Zip, zero, zilch is what I was told. Don’t plan on any. What screw up on cats part. I’m just glad someone was able to throw a leg over one. Good job. Hopefully the Cat gods will smile on us and get a few more demos going.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Can you believe how much positive interest that one person can generate over one ride, which most likely will convert into sales for Cat, and yet Cat is not sounding like they are not necessarily doing demo rides for SnowCheck?

GET THEM OUT ON THE SNOW!

Sounds like they may have the sled to beat for two years running and yet still their marketing sucks.

And thank you IDACATMAN2 for an actual ride review and taking the time to answer everyones questions, your sales commission will reflect that , lol

Ha I wish, a discount on an alpha would be sweet though .

I’ll do my best to answer questions, and yes I agree with as much hype is surrounding this sled a few more chances for people to ride it would really bolster sales.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
He sent me the footage to throw together for you guys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILihtt7cuio&feature=youtu.be

Nice video but I didn't see anything in it that I can't do on an Axys with one foot on each running board which I prefer. All that wrong foot forward stuff looks cool but it isn't easy to do at my age and mobility. I have liked the Pros since 2011 because I can ride most things straddled over the seat. Maybe the Alpha Cat will work well riding it that way too.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Nice video but I didn't see anything in it that I can't do on an Axys with one foot on each running board which I prefer. All that wrong foot forward stuff looks cool but it isn't easy to do at my age and mobility. I have liked the Pros since 2011 because I can ride most things straddled over the seat. Maybe the Alpha Cat will work well riding it that way too.

The wrong foot forward approach is the style I have learned and it’s how I ride my 16’ M8000, I was trying to ride the alpha like my sled at first and I was way over riding it. I’m sure it would respond well to a more neutral rider position but I didn’t get to spend enough time on it to try it. I know that didn’t really tell you anything and I’m sorry ha just trying to give you my feel of the sled.

Premium Features