• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To cut, or not cut.. that is the question

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
How many of you trimming the bottom's of your clutch covers? Rasmussen says cut, Norona says dont cut,,,, I'm kinda lost on this one :face-icon-small-con

revrider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2003
Randle
How many of you trimming the bottom's of your clutch covers? Rasmussen says cut, Norona says dont cut,,,, I'm kinda lost on this one :face-icon-small-con

I'm with you, not sure if I should cut or not. I'm going to wait before cutting. The theory of it pulling air around but only if the guard is in not cut. I got a little breakin ride today and the clutch's seemed fine.

C
Oct 28, 2010
I like to inspect my belt periodically through out the day and It’s a lot easier to get the cover off once it’s been cut.

I only blew one belt last year, but pulled a cord on three others that if I didn’t see would have ended up in a million pieces.

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
when its cut, it is so much easier to put the guard back on

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Cut the bottom section that has the piece of foam on it, it is 1 inch by 2 inches it allows the air to escape, the guys who drilled holes everywhere might as well take it off, the cvt cover is designed to pull the air out through the left foot well. if you cut the bottom off you might was well take it off, something I don't suggest, it has nothing to do with belts blowing on 2017 model years some guys went through. If it was then it would have happened on the 12-16 model years. Keep the cvt cover intact but take out all foam and felt and in clutch area...

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Ok, so cut the tab at the rear where the small rectangular piece of is on the bottom.

Yes exactly, if you look in the left foot well with the cvt cover installed you will see it blocks that left footwell a bit, just cut around the foam, not any more, the rest is structural there. that will increase the air out, which gets rid of the hot air, and belt dust as well.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Just picked up 850, this belt cover is a joke to get off, need to be better than that, or it will get a full mod delete, is there any trick to removing it or something we can cut off to make it much quicker..

What about all the engine covers, the big one from throttle body's to secondary.. Why is engine to shielded from airflow? Is this a noise compliance from factory or is needed with belt cover for air movement..

I'm use too having maximum air flow threw engine compartment with vents and holes.. This thing is like Fort Knox for air flow..

Anyone else have a look a like crack on bottom of bulkhead? Is this brp quality control or designed like that!! Should they be welded up!!

image.jpg

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Yes exactly, if you look in the left foot well with the cvt cover installed you will see it blocks that left footwell a bit, just cut around the foam, not any more, the rest is structural there. that will increase the air out, which gets rid of the hot air, and belt dust as well.

Can you post a picture of what you mean?

Also, are you saying to take out the foam and felt inside the cvt cover but leave the foam that's inside the side panel itself?

Thanks.

revrider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2003
Randle
Just picked up 850, this belt cover is a joke to get off, need to be better than that, or it will get a full mod delete, is there any trick to removing it or something we can cut off to make it much quicker..

What about all the engine covers, the big one from throttle body's to secondary.. Why is engine to shielded from airflow? Is this a noise compliance from factory or is needed with belt cover for air movement..

I'm use too having maximum air flow threw engine compartment with vents and holes.. This thing is like Fort Knox for air flow..

Anyone else have a look a like crack on bottom of bulkhead? Is this brp quality control or designed like that!! Should they be welded up!!

For getting off the clutch cover put your hand between the cover and flat piece by oil tank to get cover out of the notch and pull up and out. At first it was a real pain to get off, now no big deal.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Cut the bottom section that has the piece of foam on it, it is 1 inch by 2 inches it allows the air to escape, the guys who drilled holes everywhere might as well take it off, the cvt cover is designed to pull the air out through the left foot well. if you cut the bottom off you might was well take it off, something I don't suggest, it has nothing to do with belts blowing on 2017 model years some guys went through. If it was then it would have happened on the 12-16 model years. Keep the cvt cover intact but take out all foam and felt and in clutch area...

So a question. How can the clutch suck cold air and exhaust hot air out the SAME opening.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
So a question. How can the clutch suck cold air and exhaust hot air out the SAME opening.

this is funny...the doo cover is useless. Cat and poo have nothing , wide open and their clutch temps are alot cooler. They have not gone the route of noise suppression yet

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

It does not do that, your posts are mostly negative. Sorry that you don't get it. Cut it off if you believe that to be the best, I can't stop you from that. I have seen some of your other posts on Dootalk etc, you might be an awesome sledder but that does not translate into giving others advice that is not correct. It is the biggest issue with these forums lately, guys saying what they think is an issue or problems, which in fact has nothing to do with a particular issue. I know it comes from ego, but again it does not help the majority.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Once you have the cover off, you will see a a screen in the front that sits right behind the oil tank and there is some opening toward the inside (engine) in the same area where the belt draws the air in from under the hood (ribs on the outer side of the belt and rotation) and exhausts the air through the left foot well; some air stays in the guard and goes up over the secondary sheave to cool the belt and the secondary. There was an explanation for better cooling with the enclosed belt guard by skidoo when they first went to this type of design way back when.
Last year someone suggested putting a piece of sticky backed aluminum foil tape over the latch area on the front of the belt guard to help visualize the area and ease in the removal of the guard, it is easy after a couple of attempts.
I have cut off the bottom of the plastic at the back of the guard as suggested by Dave but not the part as suggested by Rasmussen, I believe the bottom off the belt guard rests against the belly pan to reduce movement and rattling etc on my 2017. JMO

Premium Features