• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Post 18 ride reports here!!

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Mds

The sidehilling was the biggest letdown.
I even had my friend(polaris rider) ride the 2018 back to back with mine to give me his opinion. He agreed, my sled is better at sidehilling. I hope it was just bad suspension setup?

I expected mine to have a little more power, as it should.
The bottom end and midrange everyone has been talking about is what i expected to be close to or better than mine.
Like i said earlier, Hopefully i can ride one again that has 7+hrs on it.

My clutching is far from dialed, i need help from someone with more clutching knowledge than me.

snowmow

Call mds clutching guys name is Steve

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Get pics man! If there are no pics it didn't happen. Not sure why there isn't a good head to head video out there by now.

I was able to ride all the '17s and an '18 early release Cat but not at the same time. Ran the '18 153 ER against a good running 17 MC and 174 Axys. Definitely preferred the '18 but as you would expect it's a lot like the MC. The engine is crisp and strong and idles smooth. Some improvements sidehilling and cleaner, stronger power...better throttle response but overall power difference not dramatic imo. 174 Axys felt really planted in comparison...and slower. Poo riders will definitely need an SLP setup and narrow the front to feel competitive in power and ability to transition to edge easily especially in less deep snow.

850 Doo is an interesting sled. Felt most powerful to me by a fair margin. Strong all the way up. Far more stable on edge than prior XMs (which I owned also) but still a bit squirrely on edge to me. I could get used to it far quicker than I did the XM though so headed in the right direction. Incredibly nimble...definitely have to be paying attention in the nasty stuff. I'd love to have one but with the belt issues still in question I'd pass until I know that's resolved. What's great is you can't go wrong with any of the '18s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t619-u93IYk

my '18 has about 260 miles on it at the point of this video, over 300 now.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Decker I talked to a cat rep for my area and he said the sno pro won't get the light weight shafts and the MC gets a different brake. Oh and headlight and shocks of course. So once again we as consumers are unaware of what we are getting. Cat needs to get there poop in a group!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Decker I talked to a cat rep for my area and he said the sno pro won't get the light weight shafts and the MC gets a different brake. Oh and headlight and shocks of course. So once again we as consumers are unaware of what we are getting. Cat needs to get there poop in a group!

If this is true I won't be ordering a snopro and will possibly wait till 2019 to get a new sled.
I hope this isn't the case!!!

Last edited:
S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
If this is true I won't be ordering a snopro and will possibly wait to 2019 to get a new sled.
I hope this isn't the case!!!

There is a video on YouTube of the snopro and when he puts it on its side to look at the shaft is it in fact 100% an aluminum shaft, if the jack shaft is hallow or not I do not know

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca

Same as what I was told when I ordered mine as well...

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Saw the MC today. Looks much better in person versus pictures. It's amazing how much narrower the body work looks standing on the sled. Especially when it's sitting next to the older body style. There are so many small refinements. Not sure I can pass this up and wait until next year.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
Saw the MC today. Looks much better in person versus pictures. It's amazing how much narrower the body work looks standing on the sled. Especially when it's sitting next to the older body style. There are so many small refinements. Not sure I can pass this up and wait until next year.

agree. body is extremely narrow.

IMG_20170318_170027.jpg

S

sledhed21

Dec 19, 2008
Pic of 2018 MC

In the picture above, it appears that the skis are at their narrowest.
Is this correct or is the an age and failing eyes issue?
I believe he told me he has his 2018 Sno Pro set up
at 35.5" total width and he could take out another
1/2" spacer on each ski but felt it might be too tippy
?

Premium Features