• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" Track for the Pro

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've been tossing around upgrading the 14 Pro that's on the way with a 3" track. Done some research on here as well as touching base with a few other guys that have made the change or know others who have.

From what I've come across, it's sounds like the best bang for your buck, for an upgrade to a Pro.

I'm basically looking at the 162 X 15 X 3 track. #9220
http://www.tracksusa.com/Challenger Extreme 3.html

I realize with this change, I'll have to change out the drivers to Avid 7 tooth, install an anti-stab and make some clutching changes.

I guess before I take the plunge, I was looking for any other information, good and bad from guys running this track or have experience with it.

Things like durability, performance in different snow conditions, clutching, or any other tips, tricks or general comments on this mod.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
What did you guys like? What did you dislike?

On my old Summit 146 08 I went from a 16 wide stock 2.31 to a 15 2.5 camo extreme. I lost some of the low speed boonbocking, but once the track was moving is pushed me higher. I also was able to lay the sled over with better ease being it was 1/2 shorter on each side. I also noticed that while on edge the 2.5 had a tendency to want to flatten out and climb, like the paddles wanted to out muscle me. At the time know one offered a narrow front end kit, so a 15 wide track had positive effects on making the sled more agile. Now I would go with the CE 16 being the 36 narrow kit is stock in a 146 length.

Cheers

Shawn

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
First of all, I'll preface my comments with do what you want, but in my opinion it is a huge inefficiency to drop to 7 Tooth drivers, it increases rolling resistance / increases the frequency and certainty of ratcheting and will decrease track life by bending it around the smaller diameter and will lead to loosing paddles and de-lamination of the track.

I won't run a track unless I can fit a minimum of 8 Tooth drivers, prefer 9 Tooth and back when the tracks were 2.52" pitch I ran 10 Tooth drivers. I am building a few sleds over the summer that will be able to run 9 Tooth, 3" Pitch drivers, and the 3" Paddles with room to spare. By doing so I can run the brake on the driveshaft under the driven clutch and only be about 1 1/2" longer center to center than stock. With some custom sprockets for the belt drive I can run as low as a 3:1 ratio, which will allow me to fully utilize the clutches, unlike the stock setup.

Again just my two cents

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have seen two Pros with the track on. One ran the smaller drivers and one had a rolled chaincase (12 Pro). They work very well. Furthermore, Camoplast is going to make the track with center punched holes so you can run an extrovert driver in the middle (like the current Polaris setup). This will allow you to not have to put the anti-stab kit on. I don't like the anti-stab kits so this will be the setup for me in the fall. Call Carl's about it. They set one up with the center punched track several months ago (13 Pro Turbo).

The 13 Pro that I rode with was a bone stock shop sled. It pulled the track well even with stock clutching and gearing at 10,000'. It was a little down on RPM compared to my 13 but I have Carl's clutching, venting, etc. which might have made a little difference. We changed the weights out on the hill and the RPM came up about where it should have been.

As far as performance, it is no contest. The 3" track climbs better, sidehills better and gets up on the snow better. I don't see any downside to the track. I wish that I could run 8 tooth drivers but short of rolling the belt drive which costs a whole bunch of $, it is not possible.

The added benefit of the center punched track is that it is a couple of pounds lighter too. The 3" track is already lighter than the Camoplast Extreme 2.5" track.

Go for it. You will not regret it.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Rooster Built ran a 3" on their shop 13 Pro last season. The recipe was: drivers, anti stab and their custom clutch kit (Team makes a custom helix for them). Bone stock other than that. Was very impressed with the package. I am flip-flopping right now on doing the same thing or just doing motor mods (Ruth Power porting, SLP pipe etc).

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
3"x174 works for me .

I have both a 12 and 13 Pros with Big Tracks .
My 12 Pro has the Avid Drop and Roll with 8 tooth drives .
The 13 was done with just 7 tooth drivers .
I actually like the small drivers in my 13 because it keeps the Flickable handling the Pros are known for .
The drop and roll does raise the chassis up in the air ever so little and it does effect the handling slightly .
Of course I ride the 12 model for the 12/13 season and become very comfortable on it. Then this winter i rode my New Pro most days and though it was the same as my 12 until I was forced to ride the 12 because one of the sleds in our group had an issue Ruth his sled so I offered up my 13 so I could ride my 12 that is boosted .
As soon as we got off the trail up the hill in to the 3+ feet of fresh Pow I felt like I was almost a newbie rider but only for a 1/2 hour or so until the riding style I got use to from the winter before.
As far as the track wearing out from rolling around a 7 tooth 3" pitch driver . Not going to happen . I am sure the engines will expire we'll before the track :)
That is so just my 2 cents worth .
Just do it

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I ran the 9220 X-3 track this year. Love that track. I don't see ANYWHERE were it doesn't work better. One thing I really noticed was with the stock track the engine would pull RPM quickly and run right up to 8250 but there wasn't a lot of acceleration, the track spins and throws snow but didn't launch the sled that well. With the 3" you are moving, just launches forward and gets great bite. I ran the Roosterbuilt clutch 4Z mentioned and it worked fantastic. The helix has a low altitude angle and a high. In WY at 8000 plus it pulled 8350 all day. I've never had a sled clutched that well. We normally ride 3000-6000 here in WA and sled pulled 8250 down low and 8050-8200 at 6000.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Damn it!!!

I had a feeling the feedback was going to be good and now it's going to cost me!!

By the way, thanks for the feedback guys, good stuff!!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
First of all, I'll preface my comments with do what you want, but in my opinion it is a huge inefficiency to drop to 7 Tooth drivers, it increases rolling resistance / increases the frequency and certainty of ratcheting and will decrease track life by bending it around the smaller diameter and will lead to loosing paddles and de-lamination of the track.

I won't run a track unless I can fit a minimum of 8 Tooth drivers, prefer 9 Tooth and back when the tracks were 2.52" pitch I ran 10 Tooth drivers. I am building a few sleds over the summer that will be able to run 9 Tooth, 3" Pitch drivers, and the 3" Paddles with room to spare. By doing so I can run the brake on the driveshaft under the driven clutch and only be about 1 1/2" longer center to center than stock. With some custom sprockets for the belt drive I can run as low as a 3:1 ratio, which will allow me to fully utilize the clutches, unlike the stock setup.

Again just my two cents
I grabbed my 13, with 3 inch and 7 tooth, and pulled it ou of the trailer and it was night and day easier than my buddies 13 or my wifes 12.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
anybody know if their gonna offer the 3'' in a 155 15 ?
or does a guy buy the 156 16'' and cut it down ?

oh great info everybody keep it coming we've entered the wrench
season !

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just a couple follow-up questions,

Best place to pick up some 7 tooth drivers?

Any thoughts on Avid or Wahl Brothers drivers?????

I thought I read some where that some guys were trimming the rail tips as well???

And, yes there's an X3 on the way!!!!!!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
For the 7 tooth on a chaincase equipped sled...you have to mod the chaincase to run the 7 tooth drivers.

LH.. I hear ya on the smaller driver thing... but this has become much less of an issue since the introduction of the drum-molded tracks and even more with the single ply tracks.... more durable and turn easier...
BUT... yes a larger driver will turn easier than a smaller driver... the degree of difference has changed in recent years.

Run the track with near factory tension and do not be tempted to run it with any "free hang" distance between the rails and track.

The X3's have proven to be a very durable track... much more so than the platten-molded previous models (which include the current 156" platten-molded). The platten molded tracks do not turn as easily as drum-molded... which is why Camoplast is moving towards all drum-molded tracks (HUGE retooling costs).

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have both a 12 and 13 Pros with Big Tracks .
My 12 Pro has the Avid Drop and Roll with 8 tooth drives .
The 13 was done with just 7 tooth drivers .
I actually like the small drivers in my 13 because it keeps the Flickable handling the Pros are known for .
The drop and roll does raise the chassis up in the air ever so little and it does effect the handling slightly .
Of course I ride the 12 model for the 12/13 season and become very comfortable on it. Then this winter i rode my New Pro most days and though it was the same as my 12 until I was forced to ride the 12 because one of the sleds in our group had an issue Ruth his sled so I offered up my 13 so I could ride my 12 that is boosted .
As soon as we got off the trail up the hill in to the 3+ feet of fresh Pow I felt like I was almost a newbie rider but only for a 1/2 hour or so until the riding style I got use to from the winter before.
As far as the track wearing out from rolling around a 7 tooth 3" pitch driver . Not going to happen . I am sure the engines will expire we'll before the track :)
That is so just my 2 cents worth .
Just do it
I run the 3 inch on a doo and also ran 8 tooth and 7 tooths, I have extended case also. I prefer the 7 tooth as it lifts the skis to the top of the snow better and handles better, I ran the 8 tooth with the 2.5 and keeps sled a little too flat and plowed more like a cat.

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
For the guys that have made the change on the 163 to the X3, what helix, springs and weights are you running.

I was thinking about ordering a 56-38.36 / 56-40.36 Helix

Black / Purple for the secondary
SLP - Blue / Pink for the primary

Any thoughts?????

Premium Features