• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to me - 2007 M8 ride review 7 & a few questions

R
Nov 26, 2007
Well, I finally got to ride my new (used) 2007 M8 with 1700 miles on her (LE) so she has the floats up front. I came off a 2000 MM Yami 700 that was ported and piped. The M is stock with the exception of a boss seat, slp y pipe, pipe, can, and a timbersled intake.

Rode last weekend at the big horns - caught three feet of fresh. The power on the M compared to my MM was very consistent and a bit more staunchy. However, I did not think it transfered as well as my MM - I had a polaris extra lite skid in it and I could ride wheelies like nothing. The M felt a little stiff up front (had floats pumped to 90 psi withouth any weight on it). The M rolled over a lot easier which was nice and climbed fairly well. I thought it kind of trenched easy though. This leads me to a few questions.

1.) Would a 154 x 16 track fit on the M chasis? I had a 144 x 16 on my MM and I thought that went well.
2.) I am wondering if I had my floats too stiff up front?
3.) I burnt some of the foam under the hood on my pipe. The pipe has some residue on it now. What can I clean the pipe with?
4.) Could I glue the foam up under the hood with some gorilla glue or what can I use to hold it tighter / closer to hood?

Overall, I was very pleased. I was a bit nervous hauling it all the way out there without even riding it before but all went well. Now, I just need to get out again.

Thanks for all the input on the forum. I changed the DD bearing before I went - pretty easy job - just took me some time since I had never done it before.

Jon:face-icon-small-ton

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
As far as the trenching goes do the GEO mod to your sled and youll love it and it wouldnt trench as much. There is a ton of posts on this site about the mod, just search it up and you will find it in no time.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a M8 and two mountain maxes. I sure love the sound of the Mountain Max engines. I had a Mountain SRX and a RX-1M before my M8.

Yes, do the GEO mod. It really helps the sleds float much better.

Yes, your floats are a bit stiff. Mine have been modded and I run between 50-60 PSI but, unmodified I seem to remember 65ish PSI, if I remember correctly.

I don't think 16 wide tracks fit in the M series chassis but, I may be mistaken. I know what you mean though, I had a 162 x 16 on my RX-1M.

I used steel wool to clean my pipe but, it's ceramic. I'm not sure if your's is painted. You could remove all the foam from under your hood. I know I did.

M
Feb 25, 2008
Creston B.C.
Im pretty sure that a 16 wide track will NOT fit in a stock m tunnel. I"m not sure about the 07 skid its different than the 08 up. And the foam the only guy i know with a slp pipe on his had issues with the foam so he removed it.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
m8 back in the day

the A list for mountian riding

gear it like the 011...........down
call bdx and get 05 helix setup so you can adjust your secondary
sell the floats for $$ and pickup some 01 or 11 evo, usually can do that on swapmeet and put money in your pocket
get 010 seat and sell the boss
good track if you don't have one, 16 won't fit and not a mtn track anyway
bdx two wheel rear kit
foam has to go
010 shelf heat shield below y pipe
heat tape your oil tank
$15 of pet screen and vent your side panels
plastic wrap running boards to shed sno
bdx or late model cat bumper
low engagement cat gold or red or pol gold primary spring
adjust handlebars to higher good for you standup riding
make sure oil pump is pumping LOTS OF OIL