• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 Crossfire SnoPro rear suspension too soft...help!

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
I recently bought an 08 xfire snopro 800 with 1600 miles. The sled was ridden by an older gentleman who took very good care of it. The sled looks absolutely mint. He was the original owner and was a very small guy.

I am having trouble getting the rear suspension stiff enough for my liking. I am a big guy (close to 260lb with full gear) and the rear suspension pretty much bottoms out when I sit on it in my garage. I have the triangle block set to the stiffest position, and have cranked up the front spring in the rear skid to almost full tightness.

Do you think i need to rebuild the rear fox shocks already, or will rebuilding them not help my situation? Am I forced to get these shocks revalved considering my weight? I havent had a chance to ride it yet besides from the trailer to my garage. It started snowing today so i want to get this figured out so its ready to go!!!

thanks in advance for your help
G

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
Both local arctic cat dealers that I called said that they've never heard of anybody getting the snopro shocks revalved to make stiffer as the suspension is incredibly stiff on the snopro...they've only revalved to make softer. They suggested that the rear torsion like springs may be worn out, so I should replace them. They also said that arctic cat offers a heavy duty replacement springs as well. Does anybody have a part number or experience with the heavy duty springs?

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
I can get you a picture in the morning. The 08 crossfires do not have the float skid like the 09+ did (or 08 M's). They are both fox shocks on my rear skid, but not floats in the rear (floats on the front suspension)

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
,, just rebuild em ,, they are due anyways
sounds like somethins not right ,, who ever does yoru rebuild ( i use carver ) just tell them how mutch u wiegh

Your static weight is held up by the torsion springs. The shocks do not hold static weight, as they're solely designed to only suppress shock (in & out). A float skid is different in that the float shocks do both the holding of static weight, and suppress shock....but you don't have a float skid.
It is the torsion springs in your skid that are too light for your weight.

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
Thanks LabRat...that's the way I understand it as well. The mechanic I talked to said I have the option of buying the stock replacement springs or a set of heavy duty springs. I don't know the part numbers. I think I will order the heavy duty springs and try those. I'll check out my shocks when I pull them from the skid too

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You aren't "bottoming it out" while it's on the dolley, are you?

What are the limiter straps set up for? I can't tell but they look pretty sucked in....

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
At first I was, but I took it off the dolley as I realize that would affect the "footprint" on where the load is applied. Even sitting flat on concrete it still bottoms out.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Something doesn't seem right but I don't know much about the cfr sleds, I ran a 07 m1000 and prob close the same weight and had the rear spring set in the middle and it worked great.
Just convert it to a float with good valving, it will drop weight and have what you need.

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ordered a set of stiffer rear springs that I am hoping will do the trick. I will let you know if those solve my problem once I get them installed. Any other thoughts or opinions are appreciated!

Premium Features