• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MXZ transformation

Jun 18, 2011
Hey guys. New to this forum and looking for some help. Tried looking all over DooTalk and no luck. I have an 01 MXZX 800 that im building. I have a 01 144 skid from a summit. Are the front mount holes in the same location as the summit? Also i wouldn't mind doing a 151 or 159 and what will need to be done. Has anyone done this and have measurements with pictures? And what's your insight on D&R and should i do that also. Would like at least a 2" lug. I lready have a tunnel extension to 144. What drop brackets have been used.size brand. Thanks guys i really apreciate it!

Jun 18, 2011
yeah the original holes are 24.5" if i can remember right and the summit skid is 31 1/4" CTC. So if the front holes are the same then i just have to move the rears back the 6" or whatever the differnce is. I have also been contimplating doing a 151 track but using the 144 skid and setting it back but still think im going to have to make sure the front holes are the same distance that way I have a good starting point. Any insight or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I know somebody has done this before!:face-icon-small-hap

W
Nov 26, 2007
RENNER SD
Are you close to South Dakota?

I have a summit that I might be taking the motor out of and selling as a roller. It has a Van Amburg tunnel, D&R chain case, 153x2.25 Camo extreme and a bunch of other goodies?

If you are interested or would like some pics for your project just let me know.

wreckmaster

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
No,im in northern lower michigan. Yeah i would love to see your pictures. Email is n.brief@yahoo.com. ill pm ya for parts

I did this to a 2000 MXZX 600 a bunch of years ago, stock drivers can handle 1.75 track and like the other guys said we moved the skid back and made some drop brakets and just played around with it till it worked right. but you would have to drop to 8tooth drivers i believe to run a 2" paddle. also if you d&r you might have to move the skid back cause its already really tight in there with the stock set up or cut the rails down and run an anti-stab.

W
Nov 26, 2007
RENNER SD
If you were asking me I don't think I'm going to part it out. I might just take the RKT 827 out of it and put the motor back to stock and just do some clutching.

Here are some pics though. It might give you some ideas for your build.

Ski Doo1.jpg Ski Doo2.jpg Ski Doo10.jpg

Jun 18, 2011
Wreckmaster- nice sled. Yeah I am thinking about making my own wider running boards just about have the tunnel stripped for PC still researching on if i shoud do skid setback or rail extensions and relocate rear mounts. Where'd you get your 8t drivers?

W
Nov 26, 2007
RENNER SD
Actually they are 7-tooth anti-ratchet drivers because I am running a 3" pitch track. They are basically the same diameter as an 8-tooth 2.52" pitch. I got mine through the local dealership but I have seen them in Hi-performance engineering catalog, and also Wahl Bros drivers are supposed to be really nice as well.

A skid set back is a really nice way to drop approach angle but others say it makes it hard to transfer weight. A 144" to a 151" may not be that big of a deal though? A drop and roll is a nice addition to an '01 chassis. I got my templates from SLP. I'm not sure if they still sell them or not?

The biggest things that helped my sled out was getting the chassis in the air a little more and getting the rear suspension out of the tunnel more.

If you have any more question I would be happy to help.

wreckmaster

Jun 18, 2011
Yeah i've been researching. D&R not sure if its something i want to tackle but if im going to do it better do it right. I cannot seem to find d&r templates anywhere. Ill probably start makin my drop brackets soon then running boards then look more into d&r. Get all my fab work done before PCing. Did u have to take your drivers somewhere to.get pressed on/off?. So should i use the original front hole and make a new rear bracket? Front need to drop?

W
Nov 26, 2007
RENNER SD
I had the dealership press them on. I didn't have a press. If your gonna go with a suspension set back you will have to move the skid back and down some to get everything set right.

If you do rail extensions I would put the bolts in the original hole and see how everything sits. Just hang the rear from a cherry picker or whatever you have and just play around with it a bit.

I would build or buy some rear brackets. That way you have some adjust-ability for your rear skid.

Just remember you want everything to lay nice and flat on the ground when you are done (like not having the front of the rear suspension and track in the air).

You will know what I'm talking about once you get that far.

wreckmaster

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
In 02 the Summits used the same skid for 144/151, they just set it back for the longer track. Just an FYI for your project. :)

Premium Features