• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900RMK w/151

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
recieved and installed the ice scratchers today

also took the throttle & oiler cables off, removed and cleaned the TB, pulled the reeds and ran outta carb cleaner, so i still have to finish those.....just waiting on the FBF cable to arrive, then i'll finally get to fire it up

gonna drain the fuel tank, im not sure what mix is in it, and i have no idea when it was put in

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
since i cant ride mine, i figured i'd be nice and let the kids ride thiers

IMG_20110221_150245.jpg

is it bad that my 5 year old duaghter wants to get rid of the govenor and long trac it to ride the "big hills"?

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
got my FBF cable today.......gotta say that guy is a class act....he sent me the extended one becuase he ran outta the normal ones.....for no extra fee (gonna send him a $10 spot though....i just feel guilty)

hopefully it will be smoking up the nieghbor hood tomorrow or wensday nite

then im hoping to get snowed outta work so i can take it out!!!!!!!!!!

and apparently i have the "big" bars on it, as my handle bar hooks did not fit, no matter how hard i turned the bolt
if anyone has a set that will work, i'll trade ya money!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
H
Feb 13, 2011
Over here
1. yes, let the sled idle until its around 120 degrees...shut the sled off and let the crank and clutch heat soak and absorb some heat from the warm motor...

once the sled is completely cooled down, idle it again until its 120 again...warm the track up by lifting rear skid off the ground and blip the throttle a little and spin track a few times..

i do this before i am even clothed to ride...that way the 2nd time its warming up, i get dressed and its ready to rock when i am done getting ready...

are you talking about this when you are braking the engine in...? or every time you ride it :face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
unload sled and start it. Let it sit and run while you get dressed. Watch temp while you are dressing. When it hits 120 shut it off. If it doesn't hit 120 then let it run. If you have a stand put it on stand while it is warming up and spin track a couple times before leaving. Once you are all geared up start it and ride but take it easy for first 5 minutes and you are good to go. No extra time involved.

Last edited:

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Taking a few minutes to make sure she is warm before you hammer on it will save you. My 05 is still running the stock crank and had the stock pistons too because I have always warmed it up good from the day I picked it up from the dealer.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
It's not that much bother. The second we pull into a staging area / parking lot, I fire my sled... by the time everything is unloaded she is up to 120, I shut it off while I get dressed, then re-start it and let it get up to 120 again. I really don't wait around for it this way. The one thing that's not quite with Guido's routine is I don't let it cool completely down... just enough time for the crank and bearing to soak.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
It's not that much bother. The second we pull into a staging area / parking lot, I fire my sled... by the time everything is unloaded she is up to 120, I shut it off while I get dressed, then re-start it and let it get up to 120 again. I really don't wait around for it this way. The one thing that's not quite with Guido's routine is I don't let it cool completely down... just enough time for the crank and bearing to soak.

X2 here also.

First thing I do is fire up the sleds... Before I even so much as unload them off the sled deck I let them hit 126* (Dress and prepare gear during this time). Once they are up to temp I'll unload them and shut them off... throw in my cameras, load and attach my tunnel bag, get the radios on and tested, lock up the truck, bullchit a bit, etc... then fire em up, once they hit 126 we slowly head out... Take it easy progressively for the first 3-5 miles and then it's game on. Doesn't take much extra time at all as long as you do everything in the correct order, lol:beer;

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
installed my FBF cable today....lining that oiler up is kinda a pain in the arse

cleaned the power valves, reinstalled everything, pulled on the rope a couple times and .......promply blew it up again

ok no i didnt

didnt quite get all the air outta the coolant system, and it de-rated with a high temp lite.....added anouther half a gallon and it runs great again

this thing IS scary.....lifts the ski's at half throttle

I am gonna need new TB boots as one suddenly has cracks in it
and gonna re-check the head bolt torque....once again
when i put the head on, i torqued it twice and had my wife double check
today they were all loose....the motor hadnt been run or anything yet....was kinda wierd

this sled is alot more than i was thinking.....the differance between my old mans 03 700, the XLT and my 900 is HUGE.....it is a torquey sum buck

seems to like 140ish for temp....but didnt ride it much at all.....just a short little check ride, and let my brother take it for a ride around the block(he now wants one)

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Torque torque and more torque, That is why all of us 900 owners are here.:face-icon-small-hap

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
got done bossing around new troops today, so i loaded mine and the wifes sleds up and brought them home

according to the MFD its idleing at 2700 rpm, when i switch it to the speedo/tach combo it says 4100 rpm....motor does not rev up any when i switch displays

also, i cant get reverse to work.....i think its becuase the one guage is reading over 4k rpm.....

any ideas why its idleing so high? temp was between 130 and 180....good coolant flow on both rails and thru the heat exchanger

hoping to get snowed outta work tues or thursday and go break the motor in...............

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
did you get the new cable adjusted wrong? check and make sure the FBF cable is not holding the throttle open. Won't go into reverse when running that fast. Might need to check TPS setting and turn the idle down if it is not the cable causing it.

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
well i let it cool off (to cold) and restarted it....idled at 1700 for a few minettes, then slowly started creeping up

i think i have a loose connection somewhere....as the rev light lights up on startup......plus i dont know everything they unplugged when pulling the motor apart at polaris before i bought it
will start chasing when its a tad warmer and i have sunshine, since i no longer have the sled in my old mans garage

my son went out with gramma and papa today, got to ride papa's 700 by himself in a meadow...guess he liked it.........but he aint getting on daddy's 900 for a long time

when i installed the FBF cable, i installed it with a slight loose...i even double checked the TB/cable after i put it back on the boots....better double check that too since i'll be looking anyway

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
could be a vacuum leak in the throttle body boots, or crank seals...spray some carb cleaner around the crank stub and intake boots and see if it bogs...

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
you did install washers under the nuts that hold the cylinders right?

Premium Features