• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900RMK w/151

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I'm running the Junk Polaris VES2 and the engine still looked like new inside when I swapped to 06 pistons. Still running the stock 05 crank too and it didn't fail from the oil either.:face-icon-small-ton

you must have NEVER rode it with the VES in it, lol.

VES=JUNK ;)

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
you must have NEVER rode it with the VES in it, lol.

VES=JUNK ;)

got it so hot I melted the hood with the VES in it and didn't kill the engine. Will be switching it when I run out though. Other oils are cheaper and seem to work just fine.

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
PISTONS

Make sure you put the pistons in right. The 05 service manuel is wrong :face-icon-small-fro06 is right. We did this and cost me a set of pistons in about 10min. The 900rmk is the only motor that the intake & exhaust come out the front. Make sure you check this at your poo. dealer. FF:welcome:TO THE 900 CLUB

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
6. Lubricate the small end bearings and the piston pinswith Polaris 2 stroke oil and install the piston onto the crankshaftwith the
piston pin removal/installation tool PN 2870386.
7. Install new c--clips in the piston grooves with the gap facing straight up (12:00 position) or straight down (6:00 position).
Make sure that the c--clip is fully seated in the piston groove. Use c--clip installation tool PN 2872622.
8. Install the piston rings onto the piston with the bevel side up and the gap facing the piston ring locating pin.
9. If old base gaskets are damaged, install new base gaskets (D) on the upper crankcase.
10. Lubricate the cylinders and pistons with Polaris 2--stroke oil and carefully install the cylinder onto the pistons by squeezing
the piston rings onto the locating pins and rocking the cylinder gently from the intake and exhaust sides.
11. Install the cylinder base bolts (D) and torque to 34 ft.lbs (46Nm) in the sequence and specification outlined on pages​
5.1--5.5.

the manual isnt very specific at all, supposed to be an arrow on the pistons and that faces to the intake/exhuast.....please fill me in on the details...if nothing else to double check the polaris shop's info/advice

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
The arrows on top point towards the intakes, and the exhaust too in the case of the 900.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
clutch

Do not use the stock helix in that sled it will pull the crank end off pm me for more info.
:face-icon-small-hap
just got this from a buddy, after he smoked a piston....figured i could stand to upgrade from my xlt

got the jug fixed, and ordered the wesco 83mm 2 piston kit....heck i even got a copy of the service manual

now im no dummy (used to be a certified diesel mech).....but what should i be wary of when putting this moster back together?

from what i hear, some loved this sled, some hated it....i just wanna ride it!!!!!!

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
The new wiseco pistons

If you heat cycle those pistons 5 time before you ride it and MAKE SURE IT IS OVER 100 DEGREES BEFORE YOU TAKE OFF they will work very well for you.
damnette.....just found the wiseco kit on ebay for $191

next time i'll do alittle looking before i spend money at the local shop...LOL

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
if im not working again tomorrow, my parts better be here.....i need something to do, im driving the wife nuts, it happens when i get bored

just found someone else here in town who bought a 900, without knowing anything about them....his runs though.....LOL..says its a beast

anyone know where a guy could find ice scratchers for less than the polaris shop?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
these are the ones i bought at a gas station in Island Park..great buy...was like $35, but of coars you wont find them at every gas station....

http://ad-discountperformance.com/i...134651&zenid=1921e327b3e156507cb5dc28aaaf470d

if you have the time, i would highly recommend getting the scratchers from "Summit Seeker" on the forum, he's in Canada, and is the MAN!

let me know if you ever come up to great falls, ill show you the sleds and BS...or ill swing by your area when i get a chance...

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
have ya ever ate at the marysville house?
food is a touch spendy, but it's worth every dime....very good

the marysville trail system isnt bad sledding either, a couple miles in you get to windshield hill.....nice meadow with a steep little hill to climb, further in is a play area at 1864 (i think thats the number) and meyer hill, lotsa groomed trail, and plenty of area to boondock/play in

normally ride there, havent been to remini in years.....honestly i havent been out much the last few years at all....

i'll have to ask my old man what the snow is like up there....his and moms RMK's are already loaded...LOL

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
have ya ever ate at the marysville house?
food is a touch spendy, but it's worth every dime....very good

the marysville trail system isnt bad sledding either, a couple miles in you get to windshield hill.....nice meadow with a steep little hill to climb, further in is a play area at 1864 (i think thats the number) and meyer hill, lotsa groomed trail, and plenty of area to boondock/play in

normally ride there, havent been to remini in years.....honestly i havent been out much the last few years at all....

i'll have to ask my old man what the snow is like up there....his and moms RMK's are already loaded...LOL

no man, never ate there...i am in for sure...

never ridden that area either...so i will make a trip there for sure...not far away at all, so would be easy to do...

i didnt do much riding last year either...hoping to get it made up this year now...after feb, i am pretty much open to go whereever..plus we both have lots to do on the sleds before, lol...

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
got my pistons and gaskets today....gonna start throwing it together tomorrow

my old man is gonna help me, as it sits in his garage (im too poor to have one yet)

but now he needs to talk to his sled head brother, and find out if i need to pull the reeds ect ect ect

i think he and i both just wanna drink beer, versus breaking a knuckle tonight.....bitter fricking cold day, had to load 1/2 ton of grain into the hog feeder, did some runnin
tomorrow will be nicer.....and make the shop stove seem that much better

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
one thing i noticed today, i seem to be missing the plastic plenum thing that the book shows

sled has slp pipes and clutch cover.....but i cant find anything that attachs the hood intake to the goofy looking plastic thing thats hooked to the TB

and is there anyway to get the TB out without breaking something?
i guess im too afraid to put much pressure on it (pulling toward the front, away from the reeds)......i finally got the parts....dont need to break anything else now....LOL

supposedly it ran great before the jugs were pulled....would lift the ski's on 1.5 cylinders......LOL

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Throttle body pulls right off easy once you loosen the clamps. You have to have the exhaust Y-pipe off to get it off. Make sure your throttle boots don't have any cracks while you are working on this. Does it have an SLP intake on the front or is there an open hole facing up where the intake plenum is supposed to go?

Premium Features