• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powderlites excessive oil use when cold.

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
When my Nytro is cold, (Below -20) more oil comes out the back exhaust than goes into the engine. It seems that the return pump doesn't do anything too much when its real cold. Im running stainless lines from the oil reservoir back to the return pump with absolutely no restrictions. I took my charge line to the intercooler and wiped all the oil out, and cleaned the oil out of the bottom of the intercooler. There was about 1/2 L all over. And where the blowoff valve was there was a mess. Ive had this issue everytime its real cold. Also I can only use Yamalube 0/30 if I use anything else it goes by the turbo bearings. I would like to change this pickup pump as I think this is the issue. Spoke to Dave on this but he doesn't really have an answer, he's busy making Skidoo turbo's Darren at E&S is looking into the same system that MC express uses. But that seems like alot of extra work. Is there a better pump and has any one else had this issue.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Maybe try Dave Marshall @ Hurricane performance 613 925 5171. He has a great knowledge of the PL system. I have been talking to him a bunch lately and he has been very helpful (I too have a PL turbo Nytro). A real stand up guy.

What oil are you running?? I was using the silver Yamalube 0W-30 and JUST switched to Amsoil (haven't even run the sled yet) Hopefully I don't regret this. Sean

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Installed the MCX return oil pump when I installed the PL turbo in the fall of 08, didnt care for the electric fuel pump used as a return oil
pump so I went with the MCX pump, a little spendy but worth it and
also cleaned up that part of the install.

Last edited:

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I haven't had any problem with my PL doing this, but just out of curiosity how does MCX do theirs?

intercooler was oil free when i took it off for the update this summer.

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
I wanted to run amsoil but when I did I blew oil all over, no one wanted to ride behind me. We were running at -18 and it blew clouds and spit oil out the exhaust. I took it to Dave and he said I have to run Yamalube 0-30 (silver) semi-synthetic. When I run any different oils it blows through the bearings on the turbo. Im an Amsoil dealer and would sooner run that than the overpriced Yamalube. My pump has been changed as well as they thought that was the issue then I replaced my turbo, then ran stainless braded lines to the turbo with a clear run without any tight corners. Its seems that when its cold it will blow by the bearings and then my intercooler is full of oil. There was about a 1/4" of oil in the bottom today. This kinda sucks as I like to ride around here but I cant unless its above -16 anything less and im blowing oil all over.

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
Installed the MCX return oil pump when I installed the PL turbo in the fall of 09, didnt care for the electric fuel pump used as a return oil
pump so I went with the MCX pump, a little spendy but worth it and
also cleaned up that part of the install.

Thats what Darren at E&S is looking into, he was going to get me some pricing and see when he can do that. I think mechanical beats the electric thing any day.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Question..

In my case I decided to go with Amsoil after I found my turbo impeller seized from summer storage.. After talking with Dave I very gently turned the impeller by hand back and fourth with the engine running. Within a few minutes the obstruction free'd-up and I was back in business. I thought perhaps the 0W-30 Yamalube (silver bottle) wasn't good enough for the application. In the past on cold starts a very small amount would come out the exhaust for maybe 5min, should I go back to the yami stuff?

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I wanted to run amsoil but when I did I blew oil all over, no one wanted to ride behind me. We were running at -18 and it blew clouds and spit oil out the exhaust. I took it to Dave and he said I have to run Yamalube 0-30 (silver) semi-synthetic. When I run any different oils it blows through the bearings on the turbo. Im an Amsoil dealer and would sooner run that than the overpriced Yamalube. My pump has been changed as well as they thought that was the issue then I replaced my turbo, then ran stainless braded lines to the turbo with a clear run without any tight corners. Its seems that when its cold it will blow by the bearings and then my intercooler is full of oil. There was about a 1/4" of oil in the bottom today. This kinda sucks as I like to ride around here but I cant unless its above -16 anything less and im blowing oil all over.

Great I just bought a case of Amsoil 4 stoke sled oil.. I switched to Mobil about 3/4 of the way through last season when my oil tank cracked thats all i could find in Mcbride it seemed to be OK.. But this last trip our last day it was -27 and when I got home I noticed some oil around my exhaust outlet pipe and around the the header flange,,I did have the sled upside down for quite sometime once one day and maybe some oil got through the exhaust side of motor..

08nytromtxa

Dec 17, 2007
tisdale saskatchewan
i have been running the quaker state horsepower oil in mine. it is for turbo charged engines. have the pl kit and i have no problems with oil out of my exhaust and i have rode on some -30 days last year.

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
Heres a photo of my intercooler and exhaust.

2669987470049038271S500x500Q85.jpg

The intercooler has about 1/4" of oil in the bottom, you can imagine what my bottom of my nose cone looks like as the blowoff valve lets go, yuk.

2183690570049038271S600x600Q85.jpg

The oil is dripping off the mufflers and shooting all over the snowflap and the back of the tunnel

Last edited:

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
I'm missing the reason why Dave is blowing you off on this? The oil SHOUDN'T matter the thing should never fill the IC like that, is there something else wrong with the sled I dont follow where its all coming from?

Is it A: The return pump is not working and oil blows past the bearings in the turbo then into the impeller then into the IC?

or B: The turbo bearings are shot and it lets it through no matter what?

That is a mess! Sounds like a turbo rebuild is in order.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
do you have any oil line flow reducers?? I had some excess oil and had to put 2 80 pilot jets in the oil line.

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
Is it A: The return pump is not working and oil blows past the bearings in the turbo then into the impeller then into the IC?
The return pump has been changed one time allready as well as the turbo, they sent me one back after startup as it was blowing oil everywhere when it was warm out.

They only let oil through when the machine is cold and I cant use anything other than 0/30 yamaha oil or this happens.

That is a mess! Sounds like a turbo rebuild is in order

If I need a Turbo rebuild allready I wont be a happy camper this thing doesn't even have 1000 Km on it. You should see the oil that comes out of the blowoff valve it shoots everywhere in the engine compartment. And all under the tunnel, and all over the snowflap. My trailer has over a litre all over the floor. Its frustrating.

Dave has been helpfull on all the issues for the start, seems like I was a R&D rider on this kit from day one. But lately when I call there too busy building turbo's for Skidoos. I guess I get the back door now.

Last edited:

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Hmm, didnt think of this, this solved your issue? And where do I run those, right at the engine? Where do I get them and what do they look like?

You can get pilot and main jets at any motorcycle shop/sled shop.. If i remember correct there is a small orfice in the oil feed line off motor to turbo??

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
The return pump has been changed one time allready as well as the turbo, they sent me one back after startup as it was blowing oil everywhere when it was warm out.

They only let oil through when the machine is cold and I cant use anything other than 0/30 yamaha oil or this happens.

That is a mess! Sounds like a turbo rebuild is in order

If I need a Turbo rebuild allready I wont be a happy camper this thing doesn't even have 1000 Km on it. You should see the oil that comes out of the blowoff valve it shoots everywhere in the engine compartment. And all under the tunnel, and all over the snowflap. My trailer has over a litre all over the floor. Its frustrating.

Dave has been helpfull on all the issues for the start, seems like I was a R&D rider on this kit from day one. But lately when I call there too busy building turbo's for Skidoos. I guess I get the back door now.

Sounds like you've had alot of troubles from day one?? Engine valve failure, turbo failure, etc etc..

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Did I read somewhere that they use a fuel pump to pump oil? Why would they do that? If you had a low pressure oil pump, then that should work no? We don't even use a pump on the Alpine kits and there have been no issues.

Premium Features