• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lexan hood instalation, and tips??? ZX...

J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
Tumbler ridge b.c. Canada
I just bought a Lexan hood the other day, I want it too look good, and not mickie mouse things.
What tool did you use to trim the hood? I have a Roto Zip" Its like a dremel with a bit that looks like a brill bit" , I have used it on plastic on my sled, and worked awsome!
Has anyone put there stalk hood hinges on the hood? I would like to be able to open it like stalk.
The air intake? No pods for me, I want cold air!!! I would like to make my air intake like stalk, sucking air from under the widshield.
What about heat from the pipe, just heat tape?
Any suggestions would be great!
Here are a few pictures of a simuler hood.
Thanks!!!

sled hood 1.jpg sled hood 2.jpg sled hood 3.jpg

Z
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula MT
when i did mine i i built a shelf out of plexi glass for the airbox. you can heat the plexiglass with a heat gun of a small torch to mold it to the shape of the hood, glue it in with some silicone so that it makes a tight seal and cut the same square opening that the stock hood has on it to mate with the airbox. then cut holes in the guage's or stock intake would go and add some flowrights. Worked great for me. good luck!

Dec 1, 2007
Meridian, ID
When I did mine I retro'd the stock hinges to fit the bumper. I drilled out the vent area with holes since trying to add the stock vents would have been too much work. I used the headlight area for the air intake. I put a blacked out plastic lens over the area to prevent snow from blasting the two large slp flow-rites that were mounted there. I used the stock instrument panel as a diagram and fitted the instruments into the lexan hood as well. I used a fitted foam piece that went over the airbox and opened to the flow-rites. The foam held the engine heat and clutch dust from getting into the airbox. I also painted the inside of the hood and then added heat tape to protect it. It looked much like a stock hood without the decals. I used a helmet head light for night rides. It was a lot of work but it was cool when it was done and the sled lost a bunch of weight. I will tell you this, the lexan is not as flexible as the stock plastic. It will crack if you are not careful with it. It is also a very good idea to add an extra set of hood straps to secure it. Here is a pic of my brother's sled. Our sleds were nearly identical. It is the blue one.

105-0547_IMG.jpg

Last edited:
J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
Tumbler ridge b.c. Canada
Here is what I have, with pictures! I'm thinking of getting a Airbox attachment from Mountain Mod Hoods, for $80. I think that is better than me trying to make one. I know this hood is going to be lots of work, I have to do some triming around me steering hoop to make this hood fit like a glove.

New hood 01 25%.jpg New hood 02 25%.jpg New hood 03 25%.jpg New hood 04 25%.jpg New hood 05 25%.jpg air_att.jpg

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I have a used air box attachment from mountain mods Ill sell for $30 plus shipping. Looks like last pic above.

Pm me if interested

thanks
HM860

^^^
as good as it'll get really. :) take him up on that.

i used the mtn mod attachment on my brtech lexan hood. simply and effective.

..stock..

Premium Features