• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Stress?

jsnow17

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Iowa
That should have read " Turbo Stress" should have proof read.

I am thinking about buying a used 09 D800 turbo, I have been riding a 04 800 and we all know of the crank issues there. How does the 08 or 09 D800 motor hold up after using a Turbo for several plus thousand miles? Is there extra stress that will lead to crank issues?

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Crap, I thought this thread was about how stressed out you were cause your turbo sled is put away for the year..... I know, I had the shakes all this week realizing my sled was put away.

My understanding is that TYPICALLY, turbos are actually easier on cranks. You usually dont have that hard hit on the bottom end. The power delivery is a little more smooth, than usual.

Last edited:
R
Feb 11, 2008
I talked to my crank guy, had my '02 rebuilt, and he used an updated wide bearing on the PTO end, it takes up the whole end of the crank, you even have to shave the ears on the back of the crank seal to make it fit. it takes the place of the two on the factory set up. That one he said is the same part number as the ones in the 08-09 800motors. I am not sure if there is any updates on the pins or not, mine now has hod rod in it and is strong as hell. Ask how many belts have blow at high rpm, it can cause the crank to become out of "tune". or walk a bearing in the cases. but seems to me that if the big bearing is in the new ones then you should be ok.

J
Dec 2, 2007
North Idaho
Crap, I thought this thread was about how stressed out you were cause your turbo sled is put away for the year..... I know, I had the shakes all this week realizing my sled was put away.

My understanding is that TYPICALLY, turbos are actually easier on cranks. You usually dont have that hard hit on the bottom end. The power delivery is a little more smooth, than usual.

Iwas thinking the same thing. Man what a stress releiver it would be to ride my turbo sled!!!!

IQ?

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Vilhelmina,Sweden
www.facebook.com
:beer;Hello.:D
i went 1000miles on my -08 Turbo D8
and i put it back to normal aspirated with SLP single for a customer
and he has over 2500 miles more now
3500miles no issues.
Ed:)

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN

This is true if your comparing turbo to nitrous. NOT when your comparing turbo to stock. Anytime you increase hp your increasing stress on the motor.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Completely disagree..... think of the physics of a BB motor vs. a turbo, not to mention the clutching...

How many BB guys do you know that have lost cranks and how many turbo guys do you know that have lost cranks?

You can have big HP without destroying cranks, its just knowing how to apply it...

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
And I disagree with you. Just for an example, lets look at the old polaris big block motors. The 600 and 700 shared the same bottom end. The 700 had bigger bore cylinders and pistons. So really it could be considered a 700bb of a 600. Now put a turbo on a 600 at say 10psi boost. Which crank/motor would provide the most trouble free miles?

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
too many factors and variables to say one way or the other, balance, harmonics, clutching, gearing, ect all come into play.

But more torque does create more stress on the crank at RPM but engagement and fast acceleration is harder on them than a constant increasing load. think manual clutch on a vehicle, dumping it vs sliping a bit, or a stall convertor vs a standard converter on an auto and what that does to your drive line.

for instance: BB's and Nitrous provide a hard hit whereas a turbo is typicly smother accel
BUT: that all depends on boost levels and the above mentioned factors along with how the boost comes on. In a turboed drag sled set up to build boost before launch, WAY hard on cranks, over revving by blowing belts is too.

Hard to say either way, but I have yet to hear of any CFI's (besides 900's and 755's) that have lost cranks. Maybe they got it right this time on th bottom end. Maybe it's too soon to tell.

Premium Features